Do they normally do this ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnova6307

I have a beardie that is 5 months old and has reptile sand for the bottom last night i witnessed her burrowing under her half hollowed out log and went to sleep her head was under neath the left side of it with the rest of her body still in the log. i took her out of there cause it made me nervous and wanted to make sure she wouldn't get hurt or that the log wasn't putting to much pressure on her. so i filled in her burrow and after a few hours went to sleep, when i had woken up i found her in the exact same way i had taken her out of. usually she just sleeps consealed in the plant material or in her log. I was wondering if any one else has seen this happen or is it normal?????

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I don't know if that exact act is "normal", but I am pretty sure the overall aspect is. They love to dig, just as dogs do and you sometimes find dogs doing crazy things and find them in crazy positions, you will also find your beardie doing this crazy things as well.
I would advise against the sand! You will hear it over and over here... no one is trying to be mean, but there is reason for what they say. I adopted my Spike in late June and just last Monday had to take her to the vet because she was impacted. Since getting her and becoming a memeber here she's been on carpet, but before that she spent her whole life on walnut shells - proof you may not see the effect till much later.
Try to change her substrate to tile, carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, or even felt. You can add a towel or blanket folded to give them something to "dig" at.

dragons1222

Juvie Member
yes i agree definatly take her off the sand

when she is anadult you can use washed and sifted playsand but even then i dont advise it

the calcium sand is bad b/c it can impact them and sometimes they eat it on purpose b/c it has calcium in it

plus beadies like to lick things

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
It's normal. It's a good idea if you're using sand to bury your furniture so it's all the way down on the glass/tile/whatever. That way they can burrow all around but can't get under it. They could accidentally put too much pressure on themselves and get hurt. Your logs should have enough weight too them that they can't be moved, knocked over, or gotten under. Those crazy beardies- drive us nuts with worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom