Do they look healthy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes .... BUT

If they are housed together they WILL COME TO BLOWS - and the dominant dragon is perfectly capable of biting off the other's feet or hands, legs or arms , tail and even killing the other dragon. Bearded dragons a happier living alone and not sharing their tank with another tank except for brief "romantic" encounters.

PLEASE SEPARATE THEM NOW before anything happens, they EACH NEED THEIR OWN PERSONAL TANK , either side by side tanks (if you can block their view of each other) or stacked tanks.

CAN"T EMPHASIS TOO STRONGLY HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS FOR EACH OF THEIR WELBEING AND HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT.

Here is how I set up my stacked 100L rearing tubs for hatchlings / juveniles (dragons) and babies/juveniles (skinks) ==> viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

I'm pleased you plan on separating them.... they will both be much happier housed separately and both will thrive when living by themselves.

dragonlux

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply,
Im building a new tank as we speak It will be done in a few hours im gonna glue the vinyl in the box and then its almost ready.

The only problem is the 2 uvb will cost me 60 euro at least :( and new sockets etc but I need to figure it out.

I noticed that some parts of the dragons turn brown is that normal ?

Cheers

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":vibfrinm said:
Thanks for your reply,
Im building a new tank as we speak It will be done in a few hours im gonna glue the vinyl in the box and then its almost ready.

The only problem is the 2 uvb will cost me 60 euro at least :( and new sockets etc but I need to figure it out.

I noticed that some parts of the dragons turn brown is that normal ?

Cheers

Make sure the uv tubes are rated at least 10% and are a good quality brand ie
Arcadia
Exo Terra
Zoo Med
quality in uv lighting is more pricey , but worth it in the long run. The fittings are a ONE OFF expensive , good quality t5 or t8 tubes will require replacing regularly (every 6 months some brands , 12 months for best quality brands).

Keeping a beardie is not cheap. More than one .... count on it being pricey and time consuming , but they are worth it IMO.

How tall are the two tanks ? and the size (physical dimensions L x W x H and volume if you know it).
If the vivs are about 2ft tall you'll need T5 tubes in reflector hoods. I use stackable 100L tubs that I convert to viv for my young lizards .... they work great and have proven very durable.

No sand or particulate or fibrous substrates for your hatchlings == DANGEROUS.

Clear colourless par38 incandescent spot/flood globe or halogen globe or good quality MVB for basking globe.

How cold does it get in they room where the vivs will be located ? if chillier than 20oCelsius I suggest a ceramic heat emitter controlled by a dimming or switching thermostat to try to keep the vivs warmer than 21oCelsius overnight especially while they are very young.

dragonlux

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply,

1200x500x500 mm.. I notice its allot of work the petstore told me its easy but im the only one caring about them. My parents and lil brother < who also owns one dont care at all they are like They wont attack each other etc etc.

Im working Allot on the 1 terrarium I am making collecting wood for free etc etc
Im getting the blame for being misinformed.. to stupid to do research myself.
If I didnt research afterward there whould be no problem (seemingly) but I want the best for them.
The money spend is enough for 3 bearded dragons if I got the right items....

temp doesnt go below 20 if that was the case I whould go insane :banghead:

I still like them but im in a thight corner and getting stressed.
got rid of sand > lamps broken > wrong lamps > wrong food > wrong terrarium it does not end.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":1v7dguc2 said:
Thanks for your reply,

1200x500x500 mm.. I notice its allot of work the petstore told me its easy but im the only one caring about them. My parents and lil brother < who also owns one dont care at all they are like They wont attack each other etc etc. <<<< excellent size for ONE ADULT central bearded dragon.
500mm tall ==> you will definitely need a good 12% - 14% uvb tube in a reflector hood for that to get sufficient UVA and UVB at the basking spots.
I take it you are partitioning it = two side by side vivs in one tank .

Im working Allot on the 1 terrarium I am making collecting wood for free etc etc
Im getting the blame for being misinformed.. to stupid to do research myself.
If I didnt research afterward there whould be no problem (seemingly) but I want the best for them.
The money spend is enough for 3 bearded dragons if I got the right items....

temp doesnt go below 20 if that was the case I whould go insane :banghead:

I still like them but im in a thight corner and getting stressed.
got rid of sand > lamps broken > wrong lamps > wrong food > wrong terrarium it does not end.

It's a very steep learning curve .... everyone makes mistakes at the start .

Yes it's expensive, but the big expenses are one offs .... viv / vivs / rearing tub/s, UV lights and reflector hoods for each viv/tub, hides, basking lights and ceramic light fittings, maybe a thermostat and ceramic heat emitter and ceramic light fitting for it if you are in cold climate region.

And the live insects are expensive if you buy them from petshops rather than in bulk or breed your own , and it's a good idea to set aside some money in case you ever need to use a vet.

All worth it IMO.

dragonlux

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply,

Can I use this lamp ?
UV Mercury Vapor Lamp (reptech)

Its almost done now I will post pictures if you want to see it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":3w425go9 said:
Thanks for your reply,

Can I use this lamp ?
UV Mercury Vapor Lamp (reptech)

Its almost done now I will post pictures if you want to see it.

I had to look the brand up .... I don't think I'd risk using their MVB , they sell for 1/2 the price of an "equivalent" globe made by Arcadia , this tells me it's a cheap and nasty poor quality copy made most likely somewhere in mainland china ===> likely producing a bad UV spectrum and have very poor manufacturing quality.
Probably the same manufacturer as some local Ebay traders were selling for while that and causing loads of problems.

So - no , as already said , if you pay peanuts expect junk.

dragonlux

Original Poster
Oke thanks,

If I had the cash id buy all the best stuff in a heart beat.
Ill get one of those 12% lamps when im able.

Also why are the dragons always looking at my face. is that normal ? its like they want something from me XD

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":ay8bfrzf said:
Oke thanks,

If I had the cash id buy all the best stuff in a heart beat.
Ill get one of those 12% lamps when im able.

Also why are the dragons always looking at my face. is that normal ? its like they want something from me XD

Been my experience - I'm retired and on a limited income and have to be careful with my spending - that buying cheap copies is a false economy , they usually don't last as long as the good quality brands , I learnt this the hard way with Natural Selections compact UVB globes, if they lasted 2 - 4 months I was lucky .... I regularly ordered 3 or 4 in a batch and found 2 or 3 died as soon as I turned the power on !!! Only took me a year to two to wise up.

Stick with quality (more expensive UV sources) you'll be better off in the long run , and your lizards will be healthier too.

The word is budgeting --- forgo the daily beers or coffees or latees for a week and you have your money for the new bulb or tube ....

dragonlux

Original Poster
Yes I have almost no income spend 250$+ already on the wrong items (petstore advice) and now im out.

Ill figure it out though I build them a new cage.

f*ck I used the wrong silicon sealent for bathrooms...
When the smell is gone is it safe ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, they look more like 4-5 months age-wise. Possibly 3 but probably not 2, they are quite large to be 2 months old. They look good + healthy though. :)

dragonlux

Original Poster
Glad to hear ! they are being good dragons.
I finally have some cash to get the right lamps :D .. (kidney for sale :wink: ) can I just use a cheap t5 fixture ? I need 2 sets of 12% uv light. as cheap as posible without being to ****ty ofc.
Will 60cm be enough length ?

(ps 12% is rare here reptiglo 10.0 and arcadia 10% are more available)
Will it be enough UV-B ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":1n68v5rh said:
Glad to hear ! they are being good dragons.
I finally have some cash to get the right lamps :D .. (kidney for sale :wink: ) can I just use a cheap t5 fixture ? <<<< yes , make sure you remove the plastic cover though and add a reflector behind the t5 tube, will probably work out more expensive than a proper reptile t5 reflector hoods.

I need 2 sets of 12% uv light. as cheap as posible without being to ****ty ofc.
Will 60cm be enough length ?
<<< I'm planning on building a double decked (stacked) dual bay 4ft x 2ft (each 18in tall) soon as I'm mobile enough (bad knee) ==> housebound til it comes good.
I'm going to install a t5 24W (60cm) Arcadia 12%uvb tube and slimline reflector hood fitting in each bay.

Your tanks are 5ft long so you'll need maybe 36in long fittings and t5 12% uvb tubes (at least) in each I think as your tanks will be taller than mine , yours are 50cm tall.

Plenty of people use 10% and 12% uvb tubes IN REFLECTOR HOODS in viv 2ft tall (60cm tall).

Provide climbing branches so each beardie can get closer to the UVB tube and the MVB and you should be fine.

(ps 12% is rare here reptiglo 10.0 and arcadia 10% are more available)
<<<< easy to find and order online.
Will it be enough UV-B ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonlux":3clm3wol said:
wrong silicon sealent for bathrooms...
When the smell is gone is it safe ?

Run the basking lamp in the new viv/s to help the sealant outgas faster , maybe for a few days all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom