Do some just like it a little cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
I've noticed that my beardie hides in his cave much of the day if my temperature gun, which I've calibrated, shows his basking spot as 100-105, but if it shows it as 90-95, he's very active and basks and climbs and moves around. He also is WAY more active when I take him out and just generally seems more engaged in the world around him.

Could he just like it a little cooler than average?

Also, bonus question - has anyone ever tied a bright ribbon to their beardie to keep him from disappearing so often? My classroom is pretty big, and when the kids are here, they do a good job keeping an eye on him. But when I let him out while I'm doing grading or planning, I "lose" him occasionally and have to go searching. A big ribbon would make his tannish coloring easier to see against my greyish tan floor! :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far away are you holding the gun from the area you're checking?

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":3gvvhxlm said:
I do it a variety of distances 1-2" to 8-9" (per the gun's instructions). It's the same either way.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jsw":z7hfc49y said:
diamc":z7hfc49y said:
I do it a variety of distances 1-2" to 8-9" (per the gun's instructions). It's the same either way.

Check the gun's manual , it should tell the spot ratio , ie 30:1 , 18:1 , 12:1

if it says the spot ratio is 18:1 , this means that if you hold the gun so it's 18 inches from the spot you wish to measure, the diameter of the spot who's temperature will be measured is 1 inch.

Be careful to avoid including colder or hotter background surfaces inside the measuring spot, these will be measured too and your surface temperature temperature will be in error.
Also of the surface is reflective , be careful to avoid seeing the reflection of the sun, or the basking globe inside the spot , this will result specular error (essentially a measurement of the temperature of the bright reflected hot object).

As to some beardies have different preferences about temperatures - yes they do indeed.

I would say yes. Lilly has the run of my apartment. She runs around after she sits under her sunlight gets tired and then we'll find the coldest spot in my apartment that she can find and she will fall asleep there. I think she likes to be called more than she likes to be hot she's always been like this. She's a very healthy beardie so it's not worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom