Do I REALLY need to bathe her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Lucy (6 yr old) absolutely HATES water/baths. She even gets bratty when I drip warm water on her head or back. I hate to force her into anything that stresses her out. I feed her baby food for extra moisture. I keep a humidifier going all the time in my apartment (for the both of us). Several times a week I'll either let her chill in the warm humid bathroom after I shower or turn the shower on and turn the bathroom heater on for her while she hangs out on the carpet and offer her a shallow tray of warm water.
Does this seem like a sufficient solution to avoid biweekly baths? Is there anything else I could do to avoid stressing her out so much?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi ToughP, I don't bathe mine regularly, only if they're dirty or once in a while for the ones who don't mind it or even enjoy it. :) The baby food provides moisture, just make sure it's sugar free [ sugar is not good for reptiles ] and if you add extra water in with it then you'll be giving her plenty of hydration.

Best not to have Lucy in a very humid bathroom, she won't get hydrated that way anyway and it may contribute to a respiratory infection.

ToughPrincess

Original Poster
AHBD":1mc4gjb1 said:
Best not to have Lucy in a very humid bathroom, she won't get hydrated that way anyway and it may contribute to a respiratory infection.

Thanks for the reply!!! Never thought about a respiratory infection. I'll have to look more into that. Any links to recommend? :study:

I just had the door open one day after my shower and she wandered in there during her daily exploration of the house and stayed in there. I always keep the bathroom nice and warm and the door open in case she gets cold while she's out of her tank roaming her castle! :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) For links, just Google that topic and a lot of things will pop up . The combination of low temps. [ 80 is low for beardie , but we'd consider it high in our houses ] plus high humidity can contribute to illness.

Sounds like Lucy is a happy free range dragon. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No, bathing a beardie is rarely required.

Rex , my 4 year old girl , has only been bathed a few times.

Peppa and Toothless have not needed a bath since we brought them home.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ToughPrincess":3k76jpfh said:
Hi!

Lucy (6 yr old) absolutely HATES water/baths. She even gets bratty when I drip warm water on her head or back. I hate to force her into anything that stresses her out. I feed her baby food for extra moisture. I keep a humidifier going all the time in my apartment (for the both of us). Several times a week I'll either let her chill in the warm humid bathroom after I shower or turn the shower on and turn the bathroom heater on for her while she hangs out on the carpet and offer her a shallow tray of warm water. <<< she's a central bearded dragon , natural range is the dry sevannahs and deserts of central Australia.
I suggest you keep an eye on the relative humidity and avoid letting her chill in the warm humid bathroom.
Relative humidities about 60% are OK for a beardie, however regular exposure to very high humidity like in a warm humid bathroom (likely %RH > 80%) is not going to be good for her. (That said I know people who live in tropical Darwin and Cairns who successfully keep bearded dragons even during the monsoon (wet) season.)
Does this seem like a sufficient solution to avoid biweekly baths? Is there anything else I could do to avoid stressing her out so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom