Do his legs look swollen?

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Your vet is wrong, I have a medical reference book on reptiles and it lists the recommended probiotics and even lists the recommended bacteria and their Latin names. All this information is based on research by veterinarians in leading zoos in the world.
Which probiotic would you suggest?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Which probiotic would you suggest?
I had to order NutriBAC probiotic by mail.
And I had to wait for a package from the USA. It was painfully long, so I started researching probiotics for reptiles, a study of intestinal microflora carried out by Amanda Salb and Mark A. Mitchell in 2002 helped me a lot.
As I wrote above, I found a list of bacteria from the reference book on reptiles, in it there was a link to Amanda’s Salb and Mark's Mitchell work.
Here is a list of the main bacteria:
Bacillus subtilis
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus fermentum
Lactobacillus casei
So, you can use any human probiotic that contains these bacteria. If you go this way, double check that the probiotic does not contain any other bacteria. There should definitely be no lactose!
You know, when I received NutriBAC in the mail, it seemed to me that it did not have such a good effect as the human probiotic with bacteria that I wrote about above.

Last edited:

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
I had to order NutriBAC probiotic by mail.
And I had to wait for a package from the USA. It was painfully long, so I started researching probiotics for reptiles, a study of intestinal microflora carried out by Amanda Salb and Mark A. Mitchell in 2002 helped me a lot.
As I wrote above, I found a list of bacteria from the reference book on reptiles, in it there was a link to Amanda’s Slab and Mark's Mitchell work.
Here is a list of the main bacteria:
Bacillus subtilis
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus fermentum
Lactobacillus casei
So, you can use any human probiotic that contains these bacteria. If you go this way, double check that the lead probiotic does not contain any other bacteria. There should definitely be no lactose!
You know, when I received NutriBAC in the mail, it seemed to me that it did not have such a good effect as the human probiotic with bacteria that I wrote about above.
Great! It looks like you've done your research. Thank you! She seemed so knowledgeable and from the University of Illinois too and has over 20 beardies I wonder why she told me that. Where are you from?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Great! It looks like you've done your research. Thank you! She seemed so knowledgeable and from the University of Illinois too and has over 20 beardies I wonder why she told me that. Where are you from?
I live in Eastern Europe (Moldova). And for the research we must thank those who dedicated their lives to lizards. It's good that there are such people!

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
For reference, NutriBAC contains:
Bacilus subtilis
Aspergillus oryze
Bacillis amyloliquefaciens
Enterococcus facieum
Lactobacillus casei
L.acidophilus

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz forearms looked a lot like that at that size. Sometimes I'd think they looked a little puffy too but he never had any issues so i think that's just how they look at times.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think he looks fine! How long did it take the Nutribac to reach you? It is normally one of the best
out there.

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Hello,

I think he looks fine! How long did it take the Nutribac to reach you? It is normally one of the best
out there.

Tracie
Yes, it's good, so it was worth the wait.
It took me three days within US and about 20 days from US to the post office in my country.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes, it's good, so it was worth the wait.
It took me three days within US and about 20 days from US to the post office in my country.
Ouch, that is a bit if a wait.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Sure of course! I believe we spoke of this before too. I posted about his orange urates.
I promised to send you a photo of Foxy's forearm so you could compare. In my opinion they are identical.
IMG_20231026_152426.jpg

IMG_20231026_152432.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom