Do his legs look swollen?

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, I have some concerns about my beardie. He is 7.5 months and 399g. He used to have an amazing apetite but now he barely eats and until a couple days ago was hiding or going on the dark side all day(i did discoverhis bask was only about 95° but that has been remedied). He recently was cleared of pinworms and his bloodwork came back good but he's not acting like himself. His bowels are no longer solid and went from going daily to once every 3 to 6 days. The only bugs he will eat now are superworms and an occasional hornworm but mostly only eats them if tong fed. We lost our 1st beardie Shenron from juvenile gout and to me our current dragon Errtu looks a bit swollen but I'm hoping I'm just imagining it. Also it's been almost 2 months since he's shed. Any advice welcome. We are just so scared of him being ill after what we went through with Shenron. We love him so much. Thanks in advance!
20231024_203313.jpg
20231024_204509.jpg
20231024_204512.jpg
20231024_205701.jpg
20231024_210519.jpg
20231024_210707.jpg
20231024_203309.jpg
20231024_164305.jpg
20231024_162008.jpg
20231024_162007.jpg
20231024_205659.jpg

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Hello, I have some concerns about my beardie. He is 7.5 months and 399g. He used to have an amazing apetite but now he barely eats and until a couple days ago was hiding or going on the dark side all day(i did discoverhis bask was only about 95° but that has been remedied). He recently was cleared of pinworms and his bloodwork came back good but he's not acting like himself. His bowels are no longer solid and went from going daily to once every 3 to 6 days. The only bugs he will eat now are superworms and an occasional hornworm but mostly only eats them if tong fed. We lost our 1st beardie Shenron from juvenile gout and to me our current dragon Errtu looks a bit swollen but I'm hoping I'm just imagining it. Also it's been almost 2 months since he's shed. Any advice welcome. We are just so scared of him being ill after what we went through with Shenron. We love him so much. Thanks in advance! View attachment 84917 View attachment 84918 View attachment 84919 View attachment 84921 View attachment 84922 View attachment 84923 View attachment 84924 View attachment 84925 View attachment 84926 View attachment 84927 View attachment 84920
I think your dragon is doing well. Arms and legs look normal. I was also interested in this and saw cases of gout. Usually, the entire leg or arm, including the wrist, looks swallen. Your dragon does not have this on his wrist and the curve between his wrist and forearm is clearly visible.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Errtu looks like Foxy's twin brother, if not for his black eyes it would be very difficult to distinguish them. Foxy has exactly the same arms and legs, if you want to compare, I can take a photo for you

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
I think your dragon is doing well. Arms and legs look normal. I was also interested in this and saw cases of gout. Usually, the entire leg or arm, including the wrist, looks swallen. Your dragon does not have this on his wrist and the curve between his wrist and forearm is clearly visible.
Thank you I believe you are correct I just need some reassurance. Like I had said we lost our 1st from gout and other people could see the swelling before I could. Thank you.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Errtu looks like Foxy's twin brother, if not for his black eyes it would be very difficult to distinguish them. Foxy has exactly the same arms and legs, if you want to compare, I can take a photo for you
Sure of course! I believe we spoke of this before too. I posted about his orange urates.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Sure of course! I believe we spoke of this before too. I posted about his orange urates.
Yes, of course I remember Errtu and Shenron, I know how you worried about Errtu, so I try to help in some way. When Foxy goes to bask, I will definitely take a photo for you (he has slowed down now, but is not brumating yet)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your beardie was on an antibiotic that is likely why he won't eat. They really mess up a beardies appetite. It takes a fair amount of time for them to regain their appetite. Giving a probiotic might help.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
If your beardie was on an antibiotic that is likely why he won't eat. They really mess up a beardies appetite. It takes a fair amount of time for them to regain their appetite. Giving a probiotic might help.
This second round was with no meds to see if it would go away on its own and they did. He ate fine through the meds and after. An exotic vet we saw who specializes in beardie with my other beardie who passed said that there are no probiotics that are appropriate for beardies and they are only for gut flora of birds.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
This second round was with no meds to see if it would go away on its own and they did. He ate fine through the meds and after. An exotic vet we saw who specializes in beardie with my other beardie who passed said that there are no probiotics that are appropriate for beardies and they are only for gut flora of birds.
Your vet is wrong, I have a medical reference book on reptiles and it lists the recommended probiotics and even lists the recommended bacteria and their Latin names. All this information is based on research by veterinarians in leading zoos in the world.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Incorrect --- I had Blaze on probiotics during his meds and he did fine-- please visit this website and contact Tracie -- its her website and shes the vet tech mod on here -- Home

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Incorrect --- I had Blaze on probiotics during his meds and he did fine-- please visit this website and contact Tracie -- its her website and shes the vet tech mod on here -- Home
Ok thank you. I wasn't saying you were wrong I was just quoting her. Thanks for the info. Tracie has been a lot of help to me.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Your vet is wrong, I have a medical reference book on reptiles and it lists the recommended probiotics and even lists the recommended bacteria and their Latin names. All this information is based on research by veterinarians in leading zoos in the world.
Thank you. I believe you guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom