Do beardies get depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I've noticed Kinno isnt the same spunky guy since Roo passed away. His roam time dosnt seem to be like it was. His normal thing was to rush over and say hi to Lexia get her blackbearding and headbobbing then head to Roo's viv and do the same. Then make a few laps around the living room go tick off Bobble as if to say "haha im free and your not" then run off and do it all over again. Has anyone else had this happen? It just as me thinking maybe hes missing her too. Hes just laying around his viv witch isnt normal for him either if hes not basking hes trying to escape. Nothing has changed in his viv or temps(102f/82f) UVB(reptisun 10) is 2 months old.

i would think they do, wubzy was a spunky one and once mya passed away he wasnt as spunky any more, just sits in his baskin spot and runs around when food is put in but he is starting to get his spunk back :blob5:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Behavior]

Christy, sorry that Kinno is depressed. I had never witnessed a beardie missing a sibling, but I had experienced Pookie being depressed the two times that I went away for work. He didn't want to eat, drink, poop, move, sleep -- NADA! But as soon as he saw me, his demeanor changed right away and acted like his ol' self.
So I guess the answer would be yes, Kinno is depressed over Roo being gone (poor baby :().

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Yes, they can. Our first two were best friends. When we lost Miss Y, Miss O was very depressed. We took her to the vet just under 2 months later and the first thing the vet said was "she's depressed". Unfortunately she died the next day. This was because she was ill and the depression made it worse. I can look at pics of her from that time now and see how she was going down hill. We knew nothing about beardies then but have learned bucket loads more since then.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Yes they can. Even without projecting emotions. We all know that reptiles don't deal with change well. the death of someone in the household would be a huge change. There has been many documented cases of reptiles getting sick from stress after losing an owner.

and in my own reptiles, I've unfortunately seen it a few times. First time I got dragons, I bought 2, Dante and Isis. Isis died shortly after I got her, and Dante was never the same. Isis was very outgoing, and Dante very reserved. But she kinda brought him out of his shell. there were many things he wouldn't do unless she did them first. When she died, he was never the same.

With the ones I have now, I originally had 3. I had them all in 1 tank with a divider down the middle, Astarte and Bane in half, Sokar on the other side. When my husband came home and discovered Sokar was dead, the other two were sleeping right up against the divider, Astarte was almost exactly opposite where Sokar was lying. They both were dark and not very active for weeks afterwards. They really they've only recently began acting like their old selves again. Astarte was the most affected. For like a month my beautiful orange dragon was brown. She looked like she had been playing in the mud. And her beard would go black for short moments throughout the day. Her next shed took forever to come off. I was really worried about her for a while.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thank you guys for responding. I have had one pass away she was a 7 yr old rescue she was only with us for 3 months before she passed. I didnt see any change in the other beardies at that time. But then again they didnt know her because she was kept in a different place of the home. Roo and the other 4 were raised from 5 weeks old intill her passing at about 1 1/2 yrs old. I see the change in Kinno and even Lexia now. So they are all getting extra snuggle time a few extra bugs. Because both have slowed down on food and even hiding in the viv some of the day. makes me sad to see them like this. Hopefully they start to snap back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom