Do beardies climb through holes that could potentially hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Yesterday I had my bearded dragon on my windowsill which she loves. I was in the room majority of the time but when I went to grab her about half an hour later, she was gone. There is a small hole in the fly screen which I didn’t think she would fit through but now I’m second guessing myself. I’m mostly wondering if she would go through there as it could potentially scratch and hurt her. Is it in their nature to do this?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
She likely could have. Just the other day, I had been cleaning some bug stuff and let my beardy loose in the bathroom while I was washing stuff down in the tub. I leave for 5 minutes to clean up his poop in his enclosure and he's gone. I later find him to have jammer himself in a corner to sleep except that he couldn't get out if he wanted to later on, so I broke some things to get him out. In the wild, reptiles will put themselves in tight spaces as it lets them feel secure, though it's not always a bright idea on their part.

HarriettTheWizard

Original Poster
Is it likely for them to go into cold spaces? Shes never done anything like this before, i always have her with me. It was probably less than half an hour before i got back up to check on her... the hole is pretty small and i dont even know if her head would have fit through

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
HarriettTheWizard":3n31srrn said:
Is it likely for them to go into cold spaces? Shes never done anything like this before, i always have her with me. It was probably less than half an hour before i got back up to check on her... the hole is pretty small and i dont even know if her head would have fit through

Well, as long as it didn't hit in like the 60s, it may have decided that it'd be a suitable place to sleep. I'd check other areas too though. As for the fitting thing, I didn't think my beardy could fit in he crevice he did either. I couldn't even fit my hand in originally. I only figured it out when I took a picture with flash after sticking my phone into the crevice. I found him snuggled up.

HarriettTheWizard

Original Poster
I’m in Australia and it’s currently about 35 degrees Celsius here. I don’t know if that makes a difference to how far she might have travelled? I’ve been searching my yard and digging through leaf litter to try to find her. Any advice on where she might have gone and how far she might have travelled?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
HarriettTheWizard":3czeeo68 said:
I’m in Australia and it’s currently about 35 degrees Celsius here. I don’t know if that makes a difference to how far she might have travelled? I’ve been searching my yard and digging through leaf litter to try to find her. Any advice on where she might have gone and how far she might have travelled?

Ooh, too bad you didn't lose your beardy inside your house, I would know what to do then. However, I suggest private messaging kingofnobbys, he also lives in Australia and is far more knowledgeable than me when it comes to stuff like that.

HarriettTheWizard

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":31cgyr4f said:
HarriettTheWizard":31cgyr4f said:

Ooh, too bad you didn't lose your beardy inside your house, I would know what to do then. However, I suggest private messaging kingofnobbys, he also lives in Australia and is far more knowledgeable than me when it comes to stuff like that.

The thing is, I’m really not sure if she’s in or outside! I had a very stressful morning and wasn’t thinking clearly. I feel like I’ve let my poor little baby down and I miss her so much. What’s your advice on finding them inside?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
HarriettTheWizard":1niu2e09 said:
KeyBlu422":1niu2e09 said:
HarriettTheWizard":1niu2e09 said:

The thing is, I’m really not sure if she’s in or outside! I had a very stressful morning and wasn’t thinking clearly. I feel like I’ve let my poor little baby down and I miss her so much. What’s your advice on finding them inside?

For inside, setting up a basking spot with some food that would catch your beardy's eye would lure him out. If he has gone into crevices that you can't see into, stick your phone into them and turn on flash. Then, take a few pictures to see if your beardy is there. Unfortunately, you may have to pull your beardy out since I don't believe that bearded dragons can move backwards(geckos and gators can't either) it will be stressful to your beardy if you break the area it's hiding in with a hammer so make that a last resort and try to pull him out by using something like a pair of feeding tongs(didn't work for me, had to use the hammer method to get him out).

HarriettTheWizard

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":37kcmjto said:
HarriettTheWizard":37kcmjto said:
KeyBlu422":37kcmjto said:
HarriettTheWizard":37kcmjto said:

For inside, setting up a basking spot with some food that would catch your beardy's eye would lure him out. If he has gone into crevices that you can't see into, stick your phone into them and turn on flash. Then, take a few pictures to see if your beardy is there. Unfortunately, you may have to pull your beardy out since I don't believe that bearded dragons can move backwards(geckos and gators can't either) it will be stressful to your beardy if you break the area it's hiding in with a hammer so make that a last resort and try to pull him out by using something like a pair of feeding tongs(didn't work for me, had to use the hammer method to get him out).

Yeah I did see that setting up a basking spot is good but because it’s so hot here, I just having been turning the cooling on... but maybe her bright light with some nice corn near it? I’ve got bowls of water and boxes of crickets set up around the place (inside and out) hoping that that will attract her

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
HarriettTheWizard":1lklbclw said:
KeyBlu422":1lklbclw said:
KeyBlu422":1lklbclw said:

Yeah I did see that setting up a basking spot is good but because it’s so hot here, I just having been turning the cooling on... but maybe her bright light with some nice corn near it? I’ve got bowls of water and boxes of crickets set up around the place (inside and out) hoping that that will attract her

Well, she may be trying to sleep by now so I'd either leave on the lights or turn them on at the normal time. I definitely think her being able to see a bunch of moving crickets and a nice basking spot would entice her. I remember hearing a while back to put some kind of powder around the house so that when the beardy try's to access things like the crickets, she'll leave a trail that you could follow. I'll pm kingofnobbys for you to come check out your situation as I've gone to him before so he's in my list.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Where are you located ? ( your town ? ).

If you are located anywhere other than Tasmania or somewhere prone to snow in winter (Cooma , Katoomba) , and your dragon has found it's way outside , if it can avoid local the stray and free-roaming pet cats and dogs, and the kookaburras , and stays off the local road , it'll likely survive as it's instincts kick in.

It will likely stay nearby (in the yard or might be hiding in a neighbour's garden or under their hosue or in their shed) and may well have simply found a good spot to hide and be napping.

I know of cases where lost pet lizards have shown up a few months later none the worse for the adventure and much to surprise and relief of the keeper who had assumed the worse and lost all hope of ever seeing it again.
Prime places are on a sunny garden path or driveway or even on sunny step.

Good luck finding your lost dragon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KeyBlu422":naefyuc3 said:
HarriettTheWizard":naefyuc3 said:
KeyBlu422":naefyuc3 said:
HarriettTheWizard":naefyuc3 said:

Bearded dragons do have a reverse gear , I've seem by dragons backing up occasionally.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":2iixfqvg said:
KeyBlu422":2iixfqvg said:
HarriettTheWizard":2iixfqvg said:
KeyBlu422":2iixfqvg said:
HarriettTheWizard":2iixfqvg said:

Bearded dragons do have a reverse gear , I've seem by dragons backing up occasionally.

Hmm... good to know. You learn something new everyday it seems.

HarriettTheWizard

Original Poster
I think that someone may have found her. They posted a picture of a bearded dragon found in my area, similar size to Harriet and with the same markings! My question now is, are the marking unique to the dragon? It’s the exact same beautiful yellow colours with the same tail and back markings

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HarriettTheWizard":vbe9ezv0 said:
I think that someone may have found her. They posted a picture of a bearded dragon found in my area, similar size to Harriet and with the same markings! My question now is, are the marking unique to the dragon? It’s the exact same beautiful yellow colours with the same tail and back markings

yes - they are like finger prints and faces on humans, every dragon's dots and colourations is unique to it.
If you have photos , it will be very easy to prove the found dragon is your's , very unlikely that someone else in your neighbourhood also keeps beardies and the finder can't keep the one mentioned unless they can prove it's captive bred and they have a permit to keep native reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom