Do beardies bond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
Not with other beardies but with their owners or caretakers? I know most reptiles don't but doesn't it almost seem like beardies bond with us? I'd be kind of sad to hear that they don't. Like, wouldn't it be a bummer to adore an animal for 6 or 7 years and it has no attachment to you at all?

So, anyone know?

I think that beardie lack the higher brain function to bond, but i dont care, I still think that Loenidas still purks up when he sees me. :D :D :D

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sparten300":2u857v12 said:
I think that beardie lack the higher brain function to bond, but i dont care, I still think that Loenidas still purks up when he sees me. :D :D :D

I agree. My beardies are probably just excited and thinking: "I smell crickets!" Haha

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardies are VERY smart and they do indeed bond. I have had beardies for over 8 yrs and it's very obvious that each of them has a special attachment to the 3 of us. We love them all and they love us right back.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":3llo2pq9 said:
Beardies are VERY smart and they do indeed bond. I have had beardies for over 8 yrs and it's very obvious that each of them has a special attachment to the 3 of us. We love them all and they love us right back.

Diane I could give you the biggest bear hug for that reply! I really felt like they recognized me when I'd walk by and chat with them during the day. The way they hold their little heads to the side like they're really listening to you. Or they way they glass dance when they see you walking over.

It reminds me of when my husband and I were rearranging rooms and the living room. He suggested moving the animals to their own private room. I told him that would be fine for any snakes and probably the cresties but absolutely not the beardies. He asked why and I said, "Well, because they're social. They aren't nocturnal like the geckos or snakes. They respond to me and they'd be lonely in another room all day alone".

So out in the living room is where the beardie condo will stay. They seem to really enjoy watching all the day to day goings-on. The kids will walk over and chat with the frequently as well. My oldest daughter actually goes in the bathroom and reads to them while they're bathing, haha.

So, I think I agree with you. I think they do come to know us and feel safe. If they can learn to trust us then I think they can learn other things as well. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jamie-Lynn, I'm glad I made you feel better. :wink: That's adorable the way your daughter reads to them while they're taking a bath, I can just picture that. :p

I could give you SO many examples of how they show affection toward us and how smart they are, especially Sabrina. But, some here probably wouldn't believe me. I will give you a few examples though, when Sabrina was still able to run around, she would hear my car pull in the driveway and meet me at the kitchen door looking straight up waiting for me to acknowledge her with her bright yellow colors just glowing. Other times, she would be running around the livingroom and I would squat down in the kitchen and call her, she would run in and stop right at my feet, looking up & waiting for me to pick her up.

Livey

Extreme Poster
i agree, They know there names, and when i call them they always run towards me,
They also sense when something is wrong, i commented on another thread about this not so long ago,
I was very ill the other month and they were all super active that month, Nu was glass dancing and wanting to come out every 5 minutes..
But they all just stoped for like 3 days, not one of them made a fuss, and when i did decide to get them out they just sat there and snuggled me :love5:
So i do believe they bond , and they do it very well :D

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
I believe that they bond. Or at least have relationships with you. Toni is very attached to me. If someone else is holding her, she stares at me until I get her back or else will try to climb back up my arms when I'm handing her to someone. She's just not as comfortable with other people as she is with me. Shawnee on the other hand hasn't really bonded with me. I got him only a couple of months ago, and right now we have the relationship of "Don't you touch me!" and I get the stink eye all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom