Do Bearded Dragons get along well with Iguanas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious because I've seen numerous videos on youtube of a Bearded Dragon chilling with maybe a 6 or 5 ft iguana like if its the Bearded Dragons Reptile protector or something. lol. Before getting a Bearded Dragon I actually wanted an Iguana but after doing some more research and how big they get and how much damage they could do to you when they're adults I decided not to get one and to just get a Bearded Dragon instead. I may still get an Iguana later down the road though I heard Iguanas are pretty much a 50/50 chance of being a good pet or being very aggressive with you. Anyone here own an Iguana? I see millions of them sold in pet stores I probably see more Iguanas in pet stores than Bearded Dragons too be honest.

jsnsan

Juvie Member
They may "tolerate" each other under strict supervision. But I wouldn't chance it. I can see that turning into a messy fight.

Dragonman555

Original Poster
jsnsan":2dk3gip5 said:
They may "tolerate" each other under strict supervision. But I wouldn't chance it. I can see that turning into a messy fight.
Yea especially with an Iguana being territorial! :shock:

Chompy

I have a little experience with wild iguanas in Puerto Rico. They are not aggressive with people. They hide from people. Unfortunately they are smart. My mom has lots of nice plants and crops the Iguanas want to eat. Our dog keeps them at bay. The iguanas hide and when we walk the dog they come and eat everything. However, they seem to have no interest in attacking a person. I don't think a beardie can fit in their mouth and I think they only eat fruits and veggies. I have no idea if they would get along.

esn

Hatchling Member
It's not really a question of whether or not it would eat it, but iguanas can be very territorial. If you get an iguana you should aim for a female, as with males you will most likely need to get him fixed. Males have a lot of aggression due to sexual needs, and become very territorial for the same reasons. Fixing a male would be the best idea, and it will calm them down a lot, just like with mammals. Just don't have the animals out at the same time and you'll be fine. If you're doing a full room setup for the ig, just don't bring the beardie in. Nothing will ever happen if you don't let them interact. By the way, I've known some very tame iguanas! It's not a 50/50 chance - it has to do with working with them and understanding iguana aggression problems. If you don't fix a male, you'd need to provide an *ahem* toy for it to stimulate its needs on, otherwise they can get pretty stressed. Just do your research on them and keep it away from your beardie and it'll be fine.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
iguanas that are handled often are not aggressive. and i have seen them hanging out with cats.

My iguana was very friendly, i held him every day.

my neighbor's was nasty and would whip you with it's tail. it was also in a house full of kids and a lot of other pets, kept in a small glass enclosure and not handled very often.

whenever i mention an iguana people always say "aren't they the ones that only grow as big as their tank?". i had never heard that before, and from owning one i tell them no. mine outgrew his tank.

i think if two different species grow up together and see each other every day they can learn to not fight. but if your beardie is already an adult it might be aggressive towards the iguana.

Chompy":rlqrpet8 said:
I have a little experience with wild iguanas in Puerto Rico. They are not aggressive with people. They hide from people. Unfortunately they are smart. My mom has lots of nice plants and crops the Iguanas want to eat. Our dog keeps them at bay. The iguanas hide and when we walk the dog they come and eat everything. However, they seem to have no interest in attacking a person. I don't think a beardie can fit in their mouth and I think they only eat fruits and veggies. I have no idea if they would get along.

I have an Iguana that is aprox 2 1/2 ft long and a little beardie thats about 7 inches long.... and My iguana would eat my baby beardie ( the iguana doesnt even like the dog around it, it cant fit the dog in its mouth but if it could... the dog would be in trouble too lol... without a doubt in my mind... hence why they are NO where near eachother

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
I would like to say to those saying an Iguana would eat a beardie maybe in rare occasions but Iguanas are mostly herbivores so they really only eat greens fruits and veggies. In the wild they may eat an insect or two but they aren't on the hunt for meat. However you never know if they will be territorial with another reptile species. They can make great additions to the family but you have to be prepared for the work that comes with it. They out grow their enclosures fast and can grow very large. If handled and taken care of properly they can be tame. Mine was awesome I loved her and was super sad when she passed. She was pretty tame with my family and even my dogs and cats. Iguanas are smart but high maintenance.

Aceyourface":3ipumwbb said:
I would like to say to those saying an Iguana would eat a beardie maybe in rare occasions but Iguanas are mostly herbivores so they really only eat greens fruits and veggies. In the wild they may eat an insect or two but they aren't on the hunt for meat. However you never know if they will be territorial with another reptile species. They can make great additions to the family but you have to be prepared for the work that comes with it. They out grow their enclosures fast and can grow very large. If handled and taken care of properly they can be tame. Mine was awesome I loved her and was super sad when she passed. She was pretty tame with my family and even my dogs and cats. Iguanas are smart but high maintenance.

I Adore my Iguana, he's a gogeous boy... however he isnt fond of his space invaded,even by us humans at times.. very territorial!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom