Do all Bearded Dragons Go through Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Hey guys, it's been a long time since i've posted for any of you that remember me. Zillas almost a year and a half old and as winter approaches i was wondering if he would be going through brumation this year, i honestly can't remember if all beardies go through it or not,can someone help me out?

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Nope not all do. Under a year they generally dont, but once as adults some fully brumate, some semi brumate and some just dont brumate at all.
Mine semi brumates, where she just slows down and eats less and takes more naps in the cool side, she will still eat her salads daily (Just not as much) and she will eat bugs every 2-3 days during this time.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My oldest had fully brumated until last year, when Digi arrived and he needed to ensure that she was where she should be. This year, he hardly shown signs of wanting to brumate, perhaps because there are now two girls to worry about.
I would have to say no, not all beardies go through brumation. It depends on their age (and whether the parents were early brumaters as well), volume of activity in the house, and if they're one of those who's afraid of missing out on anything :wink:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Goonie":2vw3gxso said:
My oldest had fully brumated until last year, when Digi arrived and he needed to ensure that she was where she should be. This year, he hardly shown signs of wanting to brumate, perhaps because there are now two girls to worry about.
I would have to say no, not all beardies go through brumation. It depends on their age (and whether the parents were early brumaters as well), volume of activity in the house, and if they're one of those who's afraid of missing out on anything :wink:
Gina just about summed it up. So, even if they brumate or semi-brumate one year, it doesn't mean they will do the same thing the next yr although most of them slow their activity down somewhat and eat a little less.

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I believe Zilla is semi brumating then, because he only eats his crickets like every other day now,and i have noticed him on the cool side of his tank a few times,which is rare for him,but he gets really cool when he's sleeping over there so should i be worried about that or is that his choice,he knows where his basking spot is :p

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If he's putting himself over to the cool side of the viv, you may want to move him over to the basking side at least once a day just so his core temps doesn't drop too much. If he doesn't like it, he'll move himself back :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom