DIY tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babykronik

Im building my own viv and am curious if i should use all tile or part carpet? Id also like to know if i can use small tiles and spell out his name "kronik and maybe put a design in it? im wondering if this is ohkay? if i should seal it with something special or if i could just use it tile grout??? this is the first one ive built and ive watched/read so many how tos its crazy.

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
I use all tile and I don't grout it either for the same reason. I take them out weekly and scrub them with boiling water. Plus its easy to pull out the tile, and wipe the poop straight into the commode.

Kryptek

I did mine in all tile, slate tile but plan on doing some foam habitat formations soon, I siliconed mine in with ultra clear granite silicone, looks great and easy to clean, just wipe with vinegar water and dry and done.

IMG_20130623_175131_272_zps4d06c881.jpg

Kryptek

It's all permanent to a point. Everything is attached with silicone So if really need be I could remove it. I sealed everything at floor level to keep it sanitary and to keep from removing it for cleaning.

Yes that's 18x18 slates on the bottom from lowes. They were 6 dollars a piece. The ledger on the back was more expensive at 35 dollars for all of it.

Forgot to add the pieces on the sides of the tank are peel and stick vinyl 16x16 floor tiles.

Cool, I really want to do what you did with the tile: sealing it in so you don't have to remove each piece for cleaning. But I've never worked with tile before. Is there anything cementing the pieces to the cage floor underneath?

Pugwinkle

Kryptek, that is really nice. What are the dimensions of your enclosure? I hope you post some of the things you make with the styrofoam. I have some styrofoam here and would like to make some things with it.

Kryptek

Thanks, the tiles are adhered with silicone, what I did was cut and fit the 18x18 tiles. Then I removed them and squirted large globs of silicon in 4 or 5 areas per tile then pressed them in there and then sealed all around them to the glass on top to basically make the tiles the new permanent viv floor. I taped off my silicone beads to make a nice small neat bead. The tank inside dimensions are 35 11/16" x 17 3/4" So I had to cut 1 stone on 2 sides and one on 1 side. the stones were 17 7/8" x 17 7/8". Cutting tile is not really hard, its very similar to cutting plywood except it goes a little slower. I have a mk 170 tile saw, http://compare.ebay.com/like/300922031376?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
this little saw makes any at home tile job an easy job.

hopefully ill get some work done on my foam hide and ramps this weekend, I cant seem to make a decision on how I want it to utilize the space in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom