DIY outdoor encloser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
hey guys. over the winter i want to build Phoenix a decent sized outdoor cage. i have a few questions about it though:

1. this is more of an opinion but anyways. do you think i should build like a "pen" like you would for a tortoise like built into the ground with a fence around it. or like one of those indoor tort things like a big box like 4x2 or 8x4 and so on. justput a lid on it. what do you think?

2. if i use the "pen" on my grass how do i make sure all of the weeds/ the lawn s safe for him if he takes a bite. i will also plant safe to eat plants in there for decore/food. 2 for 1! aww yeah!

3. if it is a "pen" what if they eat some wild crix/other bugs? like, if i put him in all day and just bring him in at night or even leave him out at night if it has a locking top. i wont be able to watch and make sure he doesnt eat things.

4. for either type of encloser, how do you make sure temps are maintained? i know on the cool part you can just make sure there is shade. but what about the hot part? around here in summer it can go over 90. but is usually around 80-90. and thats a bit low. in his cage he likes it pretty hot. if it is any lower than like 100 he NEVER leaves his basking spot. so i keep it at around 100-115 and he likes it there.

5.how big should it be? i know people always say the bigger the better. and i agree. thats why i got him a 4x2 foot cage instead of 3foot by 18in. but, since it is outside can it be to big? will he get lost or stressed if to big?

thanks in advance guys! if i have more questions ill ask!

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Hummm this guy lives in Australia somewhere so he basically has their normal wild temperature. You could plant some dandelion greens in there they grow like crazy where I live. I guess it depends on where you live to keep the temperatures good here in southern California I wouldn't have a all year outdoor enclosure.

ReptiKent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuCoVh8_Q4&feature=plcp

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
I used chicken wire and 2x4's and made a 4x8x1 box. Top is hinged. Its buried in the shed or I'd get you pics. We bring ours in no later than 3 pm in hopes to avoid lightning bugs. Other than that, no much is monitored. Give them a shade area and a water dish and you're set.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
As long as ambient temps are above 75 the basking temp will get hot enough. No need to worry about that. You will definitely want a bottom. I recommend filling it with organic soil and planting live plants. I second the dandelion idea. You could leave him outside at night but I personally brin mine in. I like to cover half the enclosure with a towel to give lots of shade but if you have high growing plants that shouldnt be to much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom