DIY MVB Fixtures - Safe, Easy, & Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
The most important thing whilst adding a MVB fixture to a vivarium is safety; you need the fixture to be secure so it won't fall on your beardie, you need it to be the minimum required distance from your beardie (12"), and you need it to be in a fixture that can stand extreme temperatures, and that is far enough away from the sides of the enclosure to avoid fire hazards.

Before:
DSC03330.jpg

After:
DSC03348.jpg

With zero prior experience in the field of putting things together and wiring, I built this in a couple of hours last night. Budo spent the whole time fast asleep on my bed.
DSC03349.jpg

(This is my first DIY, I'm really sorry if I'm not the greatest with the terminology and everything. The pictures are probably a lot more helpful than the words. If you get confused, ask and I will do my best to clarify.)

1. Remove everything from the viv. Drill two holes through the top of the viv based on the size fixture you're using, and insert bolts. I put washes on the ends so that they don't slip through.
(Top view of viv. The fixture isn't secured in, it's just to judge how far apart to drill the holes.)
DSC03333.jpg

2. Thread a wire through a hole in the viv (or any opening), then through the fixture.
DSC03341.jpg

I also put this on the fixture to tighten around the wire so that it doesn't get tugged and expose the live wire.
DSC03337.jpg

3. Screw wires into the ceramic part of the fixture.
DSC03342.jpg

4. Screw the parts together.
DSC03345.jpg

5. Bolt the fixture into the ceiling. Make sure it's super secure!!
DSC03346.jpg

Voila!
DSC03348.jpg

Treehorn

Hatchling Member
What is on the other end of the wire. Just a standard household 110 plug. Did you add that yourself?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Treehorn":228e9 said:
What is on the other end of the wire. Just a standard household 110 plug. Did you add that yourself?

you could just get an extension cord and chop off the female end for an easy cord for this.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
GoFast":3eb5a said:
Treehorn":3eb5a said:

you could just get an extension cord and chop off the female end for an easy cord for this.

just read real carefully that it is rated for the load of the bulb. a lot of extension cords are not, as they're built cheaply to run a string of christmas lights.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yeah this was a heavy-duty cord. Other end is a basic household plug.

**I'm also going to end up adding a layer of insulation; the melamine on top is getting a bit too warm for my comfort.

MaDon

This is a nice walkthrough -- pictures add a lot to it.

Do you only have one light, the MVB, in your enclosure now? I was looking for some help wiring multiple lights to multiple switches. I was thinking 4-5 lights to 2-3 switches, one being a dimmer. I think I'll attempt a mock-up this weekend with some cheap leftover materials.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks. Just the MVB is in right now, although I'll be adding another fixture for a CHE during the winter. Sorry, I don't think I can help you with wiring multiple switches... good luck!

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
MaDon":ce6ab said:
This is a nice walkthrough -- pictures add a lot to it.

Do you only have one light, the MVB, in your enclosure now? I was looking for some help wiring multiple lights to multiple switches. I was thinking 4-5 lights to 2-3 switches, one being a dimmer. I think I'll attempt a mock-up this weekend with some cheap leftover materials.

just out of curiosity....why 5 lights? I can't think of a reason to have more than 3..even that is high if you running and MVB.

MaDon

I have a fairly large viv. 66" x 36" x 30" so I'm just being safe.

I haven't settled on what to use yet, but I'm weighing using a 48" fluorescent alongside the MVB with maybe 1 other halogen on the other side.

My other option is to eliminate the tube fluorescent and use multiple heat lamps (of different wattages) or coiled fluorescents (non-UVB), the MVB, and I'm not sure if I'll need a CHE -- but may opt to install a socket/switch for it in case. Since the CHE would be on a different timer, I may need another plug as well, unless I use a different style timer than I use now, but I haven't done any research on that yet.

Everything is sort of up in the air. I'll have some answers this weekend hopefully.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Wow, that is a big viv! Your beardie is going to be one happy camper!

MVB is the way to go. At the moment, I am not a fan of any fluorescents, now that the ReptiSun 10.0 has changed sizes. (I tried it out and it really wasn't working for Budo much at all.) Now that I've been using the MegaRay, I'll never use any other bulb.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
I can't remember the name of the guy on here who was an electrician, but he actually put together scematics for my setup to help with the wiring. Worked like a charm! Mine has 6 "lights" in all. 2 spots, 2 CHE's, 2 flourescent all wired to 4 "switches" 1 timer, 2 dimmers, and one auto-dimminng "sunrise/sunset" timer. Mine's a double viv, but I understand what you're after.

AutopsySoldier

Hatchling Member
Hey herpfreak, what kind of MVB are you using and what are the temps on the basking spot, also how how is it from the basking spot? I want to do something like this when I build my viv, just kinda nervous about how hot it's going to get.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
AutopsySoldier":62364 said:
Hey herpfreak, what kind of MVB are you using and what are the temps on the basking spot, also how how is it from the basking spot? I want to do something like this when I build my viv, just kinda nervous about how hot it's going to get.
100w SB MegaRay (I highly recommend these, btw).

Here's how I've got the viv set up:
DSC03596.jpg

Without any basking platform under the MVB, it's around 13-14" from the ground. With the viv door open about an inch to get the air circulating, the tiles stay around 102-103*. With the door closed all the way, it gets up to 112*.

Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom