Disinfecting and cleaning After yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm new to posting on here so sorry if I'm posting wrong. My bearded dragon died recently from yellow fungus :( I did everything I could for him. My ? Is how do I disinfect all his things and the lighting? He also loved running around the house and on our furniture. I'm just wondering how I would clean everything. I do eventually want to get a new bearded dragon. Right now I have his cage and all his accessories soaking in my tub with water and bleach and then I'm going to put it all out side because I heard that the uvb kills yellow fungus. I'm a nail tec a I use Accel TB to clean and disinfect all my instruments and foot bath so my clients don't get fungus from another client. Can I use this to wash my house down and soak the cage and stuff in that. I just don't know what to do about cleaning my carpet and furniture. Please can you help me.
Thanks

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm new to posting on here so sorry if I'm posting wrong. My bearded dragon died recently from yellow fungus :( I did everything I could for him. My ? Is how do I disinfect all his things and lighting? He also loved running around the house and on our furniture. I'm just wondering how I would clean everything. I do eventually want to get a new bearded dragon. Right now I have his cage and all his accessories soaking in my tub with water and bleach and then I'm going to put it all out side because I heard that the uvb kills yellow fungus. I'm a nail tec a I use Accel TB to clean and disinfect all my instruments and foot bath so my clients don't get fungus from another client. Can I use this to wash my house down and soak the cage and stuff in that. I just don't know what to do about cleaning my carpet and furniture. Please can you help me.
Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear you lost a dragon to yellow fungus, what a horrible disease it is. :cry:
You can use bleach as well as a steamer that gets to at least 140F or so to ensure it kills it.
I would personally throw the carpet out or use it for outdoor use, etc, but not for your dragon. It is pretty hard to get all of the spores out of carpet.
The Accel T8 should be fine to wash it out with also.
What type of tank furniture did you have, some basking branches, etc?
Anything porous I would recommend replacing, just to be sure there are not any spores left behind. O something like this, it is better to be safe, than sorry.
I hope this helps out.

Tracie

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
Hi Tracie

The carpet I'm talking about is my livingroom carpet I can't throw it out also I'm talking about my couch which is fabric so I can't throw that out to. His tank was a belive a Zoo-Med tank 30 Gallon. The lighting I have is two hood lamps that was hanging on top of his cage one for his basking light and the other was just a white LED light to make it brighter for him. I also had a Zoo-Med reptisun 10.0 UVB/UVA tube bulb that was on top of his cage but I cut the screen were the light was because I Read here that they can't get the UVB through the screen. I had a Zoo-Med hammock, reptile cave ornament made by all living things that He used for basking and a Hollow wood reptile ramp made by all living things but it is not made of wood I belive its plastic. I also had some plastic green little plants that you get at the pet store For the bottom of his cage I used the reptile carpet which I throw out. I was going to put those sticky tiles ( laminate) on the bottom but was not sure if that is right. His temp on hot side was 105f and the cool side was about 85-95. He had greens everyday his staple was collard greens,dandelion and endive and I would put different kinds of fruit and vegetables in with his greens. I would change these up every week. He eat crickets and super worms. I don't mind throwing out all his decor but I can't do anything about my house carpet and my couches. I let him go all over my house when I didn't know he had the yellow fungus. I brought him to the vet many times to see if he had fungus I brought him in every month it seems but the vet said it was not it till it was to late :( I feel so bad that I didn't belive what I was feeling and belived the Dr instead. He was my baby boy and I loved him so much. I can't live with out a beared dragon now :( but it hurts so much with what happens to Nessie that I want to make sure I get this all out of my house. Thanks for your help
Crystal

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....your methods sound good, I think everything would be safe after that but I'm not 100% sure. As for your carpet , I really don't know aside from steam cleaning.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
I'm not sure if it will do the trick, but what if you got the carpet and upholstery in your house professionally steam cleaned? That could be something worth looking into possibly.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. :cry:

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
Ok yesterday I put my tank and all the accessories in my tub and soaked everything in bleach for 3hrs. I then took them out and rinsed everything and back in the tub everything went I put more bleach and made the water go as hot as my water tank to go and let them soak again for 3hrs. I rinsed everything again and then put back in the tub with hot water and poured Benadine in it this time and let that soak for about 2hrs. I rinsed everything really good and then put out side to air out. I have a professional steam cleaning company coming to steam my whole house on Saturday. I will leave all tank and accessories out side till my house is all steamed. I am hoping this will get all the fungus out of the house. If anyone has anymore ideas for me I would love to hear them. I don't want my new boy getting sick
Thanks Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom