Disinfecting a tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark thorpe

BD.org Addict
Well, as you know I lost fluffy (royal) last week, and have been thinking about a replacement..

Ive been to a shop near me, and am really interested in getting a Boa, and probably will be getting one soon, but I was just wondering about disinfecting the viv first..

At the sanctuary we use Cromosol to disinfect the litter trays etc.. so it is safe for animals, but was just wondering if this would be safe to use for a viv a snake is going into.

Cheers for any info anyone can give.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
Hmm, can't say I've heard of that one before, so I can't really give you any sort of advice about it. Maybe do some Googling...?

I use ammonia, and I know people use bleach too. The problem with those is you have to make absolutely sure the tank and furniture are rinsed off thoroughly and allowed to dry completely.

There are also some reptile-safe disinfectants out there if you're worried about ammonia and bleach.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
I use Nolvasan, as do most vets. You can buy it online or from most animal feed stores. It normally cones in a gallon concentrate. I've read if you mix it with distilled water it will last 6 weeks, tap water is said to only be good for a week. No need to rinse, let it sit for a minute or two and wipe it dry. It a has a residual anti-bacterial effect for a couple of days.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm cheap; I use bleach. It's fine as long as you rinse really well.

I'm very sorry about Fluffy. Good luck with the boa! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom