Discolored scales on beardie’s belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyBeardie

Original Poster
Ok - that does make me feel a little better. He has not shed his belly in a long time like probably close to a year. So that could have something to do with it. However he does have single scales that appear to be individually shedding off a layer? But it’s like individual ones so not like a normal shed

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As they get older the single scale sheds become more common. It's fun to find a single spike that has shed off into a little cone (less fun if found with a bare foot). Their shedding in general gets more patchy. In general color changes alone don't cause me much concern. It's when the scales start to look wounded or scabby I take notice about a possible problem.

MontyBeardie

Original Poster
Okay thank you. That does make me feel better. I am just worrying about yellow fungal disease but I always worry about random things.

Sorry for all the questions - is it normal for this to be happening when he’s only just over a year old?

Thank you for all your help and time!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yellow fungus is concerning for sure, but if he hasn't (and you haven't) had any contact with yellow fungus then it isn't likely to be spread. At his age his growth is going to start slowing down quite a bit. Shedding will become less frequent and more patchy. All of that is normal. He should be starting to eat more veges soon too (over the next 6 months or so) he should start transitioning to a primary diet of salads rather than bugs.

MontyBeardie

Original Poster
Yes he is actually starting to do that!!! He’s not really wanting his roachies anymore and is wanting more salad and only wormies.

How would I know if we have had contact with yellow fungus? I have been taking him outside more these past few months because it’s been such perfect weather for him. Would that possibly be a cause?

He was also on antibiotics a few months ago for a respiratory thing so I’m wondering if fungus could have grown more without the bacteria to compete with it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is spread through contact with surfaces and other dragons that are contaminated. Usually unsanitary conditions at a breeding location or store. Once they've been home for a while the risk is minimal from what I've seen. The antibiotics wouldn't have affected contracting YF though. I haven't heard of a dragon catching YF from being outdoors (my guy is outdoors a lot too). I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

MontyBeardie

Original Poster
Ok, yes he has been home for a while and he is an only dragon. So I am less worried now. Thank you so very much for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom