Disappointed and Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
I'm going to assume Houndini is entering brumation rather than think he's sick. He used to eat like a pig on crickets daily as well as his whole dish of greens. Now...nothing and sleeps almost constantly. This may sound selfish but I don't want him to be brumating, he's too young and won't be 8 months until the 15th.

Today I bought him crickets, superworms, baby boc choy, sweet peppers plus more which he won't even touch, not even the crickets which he usually goes nuts for.

If it is brumation, I'm worried because he's looks skinny to me, but he may be of normal weight. Here's a few pics. I'd love to know if he's underweight.

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0903.jpg

These were taken 3 days ago when he got all excited for his new hammock. Then back to sleep.

reddragon087

Juvie Member
Is it possible he's just getting ready to shed and just tired from that? Loki gets really
tired when he's in the process of shedding and wants to do nothing but lay around, sleep
and lay around some more.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Do you know his measurement and weight?

I've read on here that some people have beardies that brumate before a year old.

My husband and I both looked at the pics and to us, it doesn't look like Houdini is skinny.

Hopefully someone will come along who can help you better than I can.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
oh my.. except for the orange dots on his beard, he looks identical to the poor sweet baby we lost to calcium sand impaction. what a gorgeous healthy looking little boy. <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very good. It is not unusual for a dragon under the age of 1 to go into brumation. I have one that went into brumation at 6 months. He was at 550 grams so I let him brumate & he was fine. He came out & finished growing as well.
What type & brand of UVB are you using? How old is it? How often do you give or were you giving him calcium?
Do you know how much he weighs?
It looks like he loves his new hammock. :D

Tracie

TheDeac

Hatchling Member
Stubble went down for his Brumation at 6months old and he's almsot 23 inches long now :D he came back with a vengence i was really worried that he would be stunted or id lose him but it worked out great he's gettting ready for his brumation right now im going to miss him :(

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
reddragon087":146ieidb said:
Is it possible he's just getting ready to shed and just tired from that? Loki gets really
tired when he's in the process of shedding and wants to do nothing but lay around, sleep
and lay around some more.
He hasn't had a shed in at a month now which has me concerned as well as he we shedding some part of his body every 2 weeks.

lilgreeneyes":146ieidb said:
Do you know his measurement and weight?

I've read on here that some people have beardies that brumate before a year old.

My husband and I both looked at the pics and to us, it doesn't look like Houdini is skinny.

Hopefully someone will come along who can help you better than I can.
He's a smiden over 17" but I'm not able to weigh him. I need to get a scale.

coastergirl946":146ieidb said:
oh my.. except for the orange dots on his beard, he looks identical to the poor sweet baby we lost to calcium sand impaction. what a gorgeous healthy looking little boy. <3
Thanks so much and I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm not concerned for impaction, he had a big poop yesterday.

Drache613":146ieidb said:
Hello,

He looks very good. It is not unusual for a dragon under the age of 1 to go into brumation. I have one that went into brumation at 6 months. He was at 550 grams so I let him brumate & he was fine. He came out & finished growing as well.
What type & brand of UVB are you using? How old is it? How often do you give or were you giving him calcium?
Do you know how much he weighs?
It looks like he loves his new hammock. :D

Tracie
After reading this forum I found out the proper lighting and heating. I just got him a Reptisun 10 which arrived on Tuesday. Before that, he's been a bit on the cold side because he would leave his heat lamp and move to a cold side of his tank. When I take him out, he's so cold but he chose to go leave the hot area of his tank. Is this a sign of brumation? He's been fed calcium since I got him in July. I add it to his food, the crickets and worms. Plus I use a spray vitamin on his veggies to metabolize the calcium. He absolutely loves his hammock. When I started to install it he immediately ran over to get on it. It was the weirdest thing, like he knew what it was for and he's been on one before.

TheDeac":146ieidb said:
Stubble went down for his Brumation at 6months old and he's almsot 23 inches long now :D he came back with a vengence i was really worried that he would be stunted or id lose him but it worked out great he's gettting ready for his brumation right now im going to miss him :(
I'm hoping this will happen to Houdini as well. I want a big boy and from the speed of his growth it could happen. I miss him already.

Here's a pic of him now. You can see his tail on the bottom right.
DSCN0908.jpg

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, he didn't move until I got home this afternoon from shopping. He was eating salad so I offered him some superworms. He must have at close to 20, basked for a couple of hours and is now back in his blankey sleeping soundly again. However, when I look at him his eyes aren't completely closed. I'm assuming that's normal as well.

reddragon087

Juvie Member
He is probably brumating since the winter months are among us. There are beardies under a year old that will brumate
and you said that yours is 8 months. Loki is around 9 months old and he is trying to brumate as well, he is napping on
and off during the day. He is perfectly healthy though, still eating and pooing fine, just napping more often. I take him
out for exercise when he is up and he seems to wake up a bit more and then when he sits on me he naps so I put him
back in his cage to warm up. If you are worried though you can always take him in for a wellness check, never hurts to
always have him checked :)

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think he's partially brumating if that's possible. He hasn't moved from his blankey since I wrapped him up last night but every time I sneak a peek, his eyes are open. Is that normal?

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I think I ticked him off last night. I took him out as he was half awake, gave him a bath but no poop which was disappointing. Instead of putting him back I held him to my chest the rest of the evening. Oh, I also trimmed his nails which didn't impress him. At one point during the evening I woke him up and he was not happy because his beard turned black and puffed up for a minute or so. He didn't show any aggression (never have towards me) but I could tell he was not happy with being woken up. It's just too hard leaving him in his viv and not being able to hold him. I woove my baby too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom