Disabled rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
It's so awesome that you rescued her! :blob8: With a little help from this site and some determination from you, I know she will be okay!

My BD, Smauggie, does not like the calcium/vitamin powders, and sometimes refuses to eat anything dusted in it, so I take her outside as much as I can to soak up sun. (I live in Louisiana, so it's usually hot and sunny.) Taking yours outside was a good idea - nothing beats natural sunlight IMO (even for us humans). Also, look for a vet near you that treats reptiles and make an appointment to have her checked out.

When it comes to cats (nice tortoiseshell, BTW :D ), I agree that the two should be monitored when in the same area, but having both a cat and a BD is not impossible IMO. Smauggie has 3 feline siblings (12 yo, 11 yo, and 8 yo). Since the day we brought Smauggie home, we've kept an eye on them at all times. Cats are born to hunt, so you do have to stay alert. Smauggie is now 3 years old (we got her when she was about 1 1/2 months old) and we haven't had a problem yet, but we STILL keep a close eye when she is around any of them. Sometimes they will sit on the bed with her, sometimes they sit in the bow window with her looking outside.
Here's a pic:

There's more pics like this in Smauggie's thread, as well as pics of just her, called "Who knew I'd be so smitten with this girl?". There's also pics of our lovebird, Sprite. (For the record, Sprite is NOT to be trusted around any of the other critters because he's ... Well, he's a pain in the butt. :lol: )

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
jenn4turtles":13se9ktc said:

I'm unsure how I feel about a bearded dragon being raised around World of Warcraft... :lol:

OP, thank you for all you're doing for your little buddy.
I also wanted to comment my beardies and cat get along fine, but yes, please monitor their interaction
89300-7214441234.jpg

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
traildrifterphalanx":26umwn0v said:
jenn4turtles":26umwn0v said:

I'm unsure how I feel about a bearded dragon being raised around World of Warcraft... :lol:

OP, thank you for all you're doing for your little buddy.
I also wanted to comment my beardies and cat get along fine, but yes, please monitor their interaction
89300-7214441234.jpg

LOL nothing wrong with a bit of WoW!

Sidebar...some cats are docileand fine. Mine aren't. I wish they could be that close to Charlie!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
traildrifterphalanx":1iu59z3d said:
NBGwen":1iu59z3d said:
:lol: I played WoW for about 3 years. For the Horde... :wink:

LOL I still play! For the Horde! I have s BE palladin...love the last expansion.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
NBGwen":1aayrmec said:
traildrifterphalanx":1aayrmec said:
NBGwen":1aayrmec said:
:lol: I played WoW for about 3 years. For the Horde... :wink:

LOL I still play! For the Horde! I have s BE palladin...love the last expansion.

I'd hate to turn this beautiful rescue story into a WoW forum, so I'll last say troll mage and troll druid, Terenas server, ended before MoP. If you'd like to geek up some WoW talk, feel free to PM or we can make an off-topic discussion :lol:

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I didn't realize how many play WoW. My son plays it, with numerous characters ... Not sure if he's Horde or Alliance these days. :lol:

hedgieandfarmgirl

Original Poster
UPDATE: she has A LOT more energy now. Her appetite is up , we've been giving her kale/collars greens/ dandelion leaves/ yams/carrots/apples/ strawberry/ superworms(?) and we also got little diced treat things you sprinkle on her food to encourage them to eat? She likes them. She has almost completed shedding and she's darker, a beautiful pattern has surface ?.. she is housed in my sister's room and she says she seems to be stronger/walking better but I haven't gotten a chance to see her walk around recently. Thank you all for help!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The difference between the Reptisun 5 & 10 tube is the UVB output emitted. The 5 really isn't strong enough for the bearded dragon's needs. Which one are you using now?
That is great she is doing better. Have you watched her walking & moving around yet?

Tracie

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
hedgieandfarmgirl":3vb7o6mg said:
What is the difference between the bulb reptisun 5.0 uvb versus the 10.0? Is it just sizing or is there something else?

How much UV is emitted. For rainforest creatures, you would use the 5.0, but for desert dwelling animals, you need the 10.0. Without it, beardies won't get enough UV, which will prohibit the absorption of calcium.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JessPets":2seh01l3 said:
hedgieandfarmgirl":2seh01l3 said:
What is the difference between the bulb reptisun 5.0 uvb versus the 10.0? Is it just sizing or is there something else?

How much UV is emitted. For rainforest creatures, you would use the 5.0, but for desert dwelling animals, you need the 10.0. Without it, beardies won't get enough UV, which will prohibit the absorption of calcium.

A UVB 5% emits about half the UVA and UVB emitted by a UVB 10%.

A bearded dragon requires about 150 microwatts UVB / sq-cm at the basking spot. You will be very hard pressed to get this with a 5% UVB compact or T8 or T5 tube unless the basking spot is about 3 - 4 inches from the uvb source - obviously this is not practical or safe.

Those cats surrounding the beardie - look at it's body language , it's scared and stressed and in a high state of alertness and readiness (to run !!!).... to noobs ..... PLEASE DON"T TRY THAT KIND OF STUNT WITH YOUR BEARDIE , I CAN GUARANTEE IT WILL MOST CERTAINLY END BADLY FOR THE BEARDIE. VERY VERY UNWIZE .

hedgieandfarmgirl

Original Poster
Thank you all for the help. The lights she came with have been replaced based on this forum and other research. If you want specific bulbs we got I could look but we replaced them a while ago and just felt you might want an update! She is a very happy beardie and loves when I take her outside with me in the sun when it's warm enough. She loves looking around and taking in all the sights and sounds and smells of the other animals. Also, thanks for all the concern from the cat picture but I'm not stupid, it was for a second to take a picture and there were two other people right there. i will make sure to be careful with things like that, though.. now with the beardie's legs, since we've gotten the uvb and kept a good calcium diet, she has gotten more mobile and stronger yay! Her legs are still funky but it doesn't seem to bother her much. Again, thank you for all the help and support as we rescued and welcomed this new member into our family where she will have a forever loving home ❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very happy to hear she is doing well now! :D
I'm glad you got the lights all replaced too that had to have helped out immensely! At least her
legs are more mobile also, bless her.
You must be incredibly bonded with her by now, too. I bet she loves going outside in the nice
sunshine. She has herself a nice wonderful loving home now. Thanks for the update, it's always
so nice to hear of happy endings.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom