Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I have a Repti Halogen in there, actually. That's the 150 watt. Yeah, we'll see later. I'll let you know with a post. How's your dragon doing by the way, was it yours that had the URI? (Forgive me, I've talked to so many people here!)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

Dino looks SO happy & beautiful. Her new apartment looks great! :D
Have you been able to get the temperatures where you need them? They can be hard to get perfect in the larger tanks, I know.

I am so glad she has improved this much. She sure has been so good through all of this.

Tracie

Fellowdt23

Hatchling Member
Yeah RI that lasted months now liver disease because of anti biotics but hes getting there eating well, time will tell with the liver as its not cureable only manageable.

I hope im past the worst i just have to continue liver supplement and make sure he eats everyday until sometime next year when i return to vets.

I had loads of issues getting temp right in new tank but ended up just buying standard halogen heat bulb 80 watt left it off the dimmer and the rest of the tank took care of its self always seems easy when you eventually get there but murder getting it right in the first place.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, that's right, the fatty liver disease too! :( I'm glad you finally got that RI knocked out. I hope things keep getting better for you and your dragon! They take forEVER to get better, don't they?! :roll: I am actually following your thread about the fatty liver disease. Keep us posted!

Hi Tracie! Still fumbling with the darn temps. My daughter texted me a pic of Dino while I was at work this afternoon and she was all dark and unhappy looking with the 150 watt in there. I raised her ramp UP and changed back to the 100 watt bulb. I found one spot at 99. I'd like to see it a liiiittle bit higher. What a pain in the neck!! I moved the bulb to the highest spot of the ramp. We'll see how that works tomorrow. Couldn't fumble anymore, it was already passed her bedtime and I was still fooling with the darn thing!! :banghead: Hopefully I'll get it right tomorrow!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yesterday: The picture my daughter texted me: Dark & unhappy. :(
dino11282012.jpg

Today: Bright & happy! :love5:
DSCN2107.jpg

Finally got her temps comfy for her! YAAAY! This is how I had to rig up her ramp under the 100 watt bulb:
DSCN2106.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks SO great! What huge improvements she has made. :D Isn't it something how we can read their body language and now when they are happy and comfortable and unhappy and uncomfortable?

You did a great job rigging the ramp like that to get the perfect temp. What basking temp does she seem to prefer?

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Diane! Thank you!! Yes, they are funny little critters with their "moods". Same way that you can read a dog or a cats' mood, you can read a lizard! :wink: She seems to be most comfortable at about 101. :D

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Dino looks great! How is her eye? Hope its all better now. Have a great Christmas hun! Again you have have done wonders with Dino and she sure is lucky to have you.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tonja & Happi!! We had her check-up Thursday. Doc says she's doing AWESOME! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: She was so excited, she started snapping pictures to send to Dr. Hammond. She is the vet I saw there first, who did the biopsy. She said, "I have to send these to Justine! She's gonna CRY when she sees them!" :love5: I was very happy to hear that she is still in touch with Dr. Hammond!! She is the one who got us started on this road to recovery with her knowledge and I was very sad that we couldn't continue to work with her. At least now I know, she's still in the loop! Makes me very happy!!

Dino's eye is still slowly healing, but it IS HEALING. Doc says it's reforming (the lower lid), as is her mouth/lip area on that same side. That seems to be taking the longest to heal completely. Oh, and her ear. I had her take a good look at that. She was clearing some stuff out and she has, I'm gonna call them "skin tags", kind of growing there. It didn't hurt her when Doc was pulling at it but, she thinks it might be causing too much blockage to allow the inside to shed off and clear up. When Dino sheds, only the very outer part of the ear opening sheds off. We might have to remove that growth thing. We'll see how things look when we go back in January. So, we are continuing with the VC again for another month. She still gets her eye drops daily too.

I've been able to stop putting SSD all over her face as most of it is healed up and white now. Doc says to keep using it in her ear. I had stopped because it is looking better and seems to be shrinking. Upon looking in there further, she thinks the SSD will help with keeping it moist for when I'm clearing it out. So, I just have to diligently work on that spot. I also told her that Dino got moved back into her big house! I told her about my concerns with the daily cleaning and re-infection. She said cleaning the tank out well once a week should be fine now! She just said to keep doing what I'm doing, Dino is doing GREAT! :D

The vet tech was very sweet. She commented on how far Dino has come and how I should feel really good about that as there aren't too many success stories with this. I knocked wood and thanked her. I also explained that if it weren't for the expense and numerous vet visits, there might be more success with it. Dino has definitely cost me a small fortune! She also commented that most people don't "stick with it" as it becomes "too much work" thinking a reptile is "an easy pet." Sad but true. Folks just give up. :( Some little scaley babies don't get the love and care they deserve!

My husband is up in Maine today, getting things ready for snowmobile season. I have to ask him exactly what I have there for Dino. We spend New Year's there every year. I got her a tank and a light fixture but I can't remember what else! I want to have as much stuff up there as I can to make transporting her back & forth as easy as possible. No more boarding for Dino...remember? Yeah. That's how we got into this mess in the first place. Christmas week will be a year since I boarded her. I brought her home and found her covered with the mites. :roll: OMG, I can't believe it's almost a year. :silent:

So, there's the news! I feel good about it, don't you?? :mrgreen: Thanks for all the support and well wishes! You guys are the best!! I went back a couple weeks ago and was reading my initial posts and seeing how desperate I was to save Dino. WOW. :shock: Those were scary days, for sure! So many good people stepped right up to offer me advice and help. I've learned so much here from so many of you. I can't ever say "Thanks!" enough. I'd like to wish you all a wonderful, happy and safe Holiday Season, what ever it is you celebrate! :love5:

Tonja

BD.org Addict
That is such good news. I am so very happy for you and Dino. She has come a long long way over a long period of time. You are right. some would have thrown in the towel with the expense and dedication it takes to help them to recover. You have done a remarkable job and you can finally rest and see light at the end of what was a long dark tunnel. Her eye and ear will clear up and it will all be over with. Dino had more than one angel working for her, and you being her biggest one. I really am very happy for you and Dino! Give her a throat rub for me.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tonja! :love5: Yes, the light is getting brighter and closer to the end of that tunnel!! I have her a little throat rub from you!!

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Gaah! Somehow got unsubscribed from this thread. Congratulations, Sue! She looks so good! :blob8:
[happy dance]

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Hope you had a great Christmas and have a very happy new year. Dino looks great. She has such a good mommy! Hope her eye has cleared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom