Digging in hut at night right before bed

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, so I turned off my bearded dragon lights. Normally he goes to bed soon after. Which he did. However, right before he went into his hut/hide and seemed to claw at the wall a couple of times. As well as just move in there. Then, he left and slunked over to another tight corner to sleep. He also seemed more ready to sleep today than normal. I think he could have been clawing to turn around, or because it is a tight spot. I think he went in his hut because he was looking for a spot to sleep. Does anyone know why he would do this? I don’t think he is Gravid because he didn’t glass surf at all today and vet checked his tummy Friday for poop and felt nothing.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello, so I turned off my bearded dragon lights. Normally he goes to bed soon after. Which he did. However, right before he went into his hut/hide and seemed to claw at the wall a couple of times. As well as just move in there. Then, he left and slunked over to another tight corner to sleep. He also seemed more ready to sleep today than normal. I think he could have been clawing to turn around, or because it is a tight spot. I think he went in his hut because he was looking for a spot to sleep. Does anyone know why he would do this? I don’t think he is Gravid because he didn’t glass surf at all today and vet checked his tummy Friday for poop and felt nothing.
Leo does that as well— my theory is that since bearded dragons burrow in the wild, he’s simply trying to do that though my current substrate makes it impossible unfortunately. That’s why I will be changing to a loose substrate mix that includes excavator clay to hold burrows.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Leo does that as well— my theory is that since bearded dragons burrow in the wild, he’s simply trying to do that though my current substrate makes it impossible unfortunately. That’s why I will be changing to a loose substrate mix that includes excavator clay to hold burrows.
Is burrowing bad. Or did he just decide he wants to sleep underground but it was impossible?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
It’s not bad— it’s a natural behavior that both males and females exhibit, he just decided that he wanted to try and burrow that night.
He did it again this morning but out of his hut. However, could he have been scraping purée off his mouth? He was rubbing his face low to the ground. And then clawed the ground a couple of times. He did it like he was trying to rub the purée off his face because he did it right after he got some on it.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
He did it again this morning but out of his hut. However, could he have been scraping purée off his mouth? He was rubbing his face low to the ground. And then clawed the ground a couple of times. He did it like he was trying to rub the purée off his face because he did it right after he got some on it.
It could be— he could have been itchy or may be starting to shed his face as well. What age is your dragon? Are you certain he’s male? If he is consistently trying to dig he may be a gravid female.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
It could be— he could have been itchy or may be starting to shed his face as well. What age is your dragon? Are you certain he’s male? If he is consistently trying to dig he may be a gravid female.
He is 4-5. I’m not certain he’s male. I don’t think he’s gravid. He did it for a few seconds then I didn’t see it again. He is just laying on his basking. I thought he would be acting more frantic if he’s gravid. The doctor also felt his tummy on Friday and felt nothing.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
By consistently would it have to be all the time? Like would he have done it again from this morning by now?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
He did it again. He seems to do it after he eats his greens. He scrapped his mouth and dug a few times.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
He is 4-5. I’m not certain he’s male. I don’t think he’s gravid. He did it for a few seconds then I didn’t see it again. He is just laying on his basking. I thought he would be acting more frantic if he’s gravid. The doctor also felt his tummy on Friday and felt nothing.
Alright… could you post a picture of his tail curled up so we can take a look at his vent? That way we can clear that up

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Is he shedding at all? What’s your substrate? Can you post a picture of the spot he is itching?
My substrate is a mat so he can’t dig. He isn’t shedding but seems very annoyed by the purée. He is itching his face. There might have been more purée in the morning.
image.jpg

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom