Did my bearded dragons mated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got a male and a female beardies, I put them together for mating, I waited for a while but no action so i decided to leave the room. Left the room for about 10mins came back in and saw the male was on top of the female biting down on the back of the female neck. Female was waving arms then the male got off of her. I don't know if the tail lock or not because i wasn't there. But now i put them both together again the female will head bob very fast at the male, while he don't do anything back. now the female will fight off the male ever time i put them together.

I don't know if they mated or not, and can a female mate again after she just mated with a male? Or she have to wait until she lay her eggs.

Any Tips please help.

IMG_1054_zpsebfe7e9a.jpg

1968dart

Hatchling Member
First of all yes they can continue to breed. Its best to split them up after they have mated so to give the female a break. Most males will continue to mate with the female and can hurt her do to the roughness. And as far as a successful mateing I myself would want to witness the act to be sure. Try again in a couple days and stick around cause it sure dosn't take long. I had mine together and had to go to the can... Well my dad starts yelling at me hey I think there doing it and I almost missed it. When the female is ready to accept the male it happens fast. And by the way my male tried a lot and was shot down every time till the female was ready.....over a month of bi-weekly introductions.

1968dart

Hatchling Member
image_zpsd30296bc.jpg

I've also noticed and I'm by no means saying this is always a fact but anytime I've ever witnessed a successful mating the male alway lets go of the female when finishing and just relaxes like In the photo then she just pulls away. You can see the hemipenes retract and be sure it was successful.

1968dart

Hatchling Member
If you want to be sure keep on trying till you see the tails lock. I witnessed it twice before I stopped cause I really want baby beardies. I have 17 fertile eggs in my incubator right now that where laid 8 days ago. I'm pumped and excited for you as well so don't stop yet. By the way you have two great looking dragons there.

khangnguyen

Original Poster
1968dart":3kwf7v33 said:
If you want to be sure keep on trying till you see the tails lock. I witnessed it twice before I stopped cause I really want baby beardies. I have 17 fertile eggs in my incubator right now that where laid 8 days ago. I'm pumped and excited for you as well so don't stop yet. By the way you have two great looking dragons there.

Thanks, right now the female just try to fight off the male, i don't know what to do. They wont mate again. I guess I'll try to put them together for an hour a day and see the reaction of them.

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
First, and I know this is basic, but make sure you actually have a male and a female. Some people will buy a "male" and a "female" only to find out later that they are both males, and that's why they aren't breeding.

Then give the female a break for a few days. It sounds like you just got them, so let them settle in for a while before you try to breed them. Keep them apart until you're ready to try again, then watch them the whole time so you can make sure they lock before you separate them again. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom