Diarrhea and possible vomit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cboocks

I just moved back home and decided that, rather than let my beardie, Oswald, become accustomed to his tank in his new home only to take him out to tile the floor, I decided to put him in a temporary tank, tile, then get him set up in his newly remodeled permanent. The temporary tank was very small and I just used white paper towels as substrate as it was for only 6.5 days. He ate and drank the entire time in that tank and seemed okay, no black bearding or grumpiness.

I moved him into his new tank yesterday (after allowing 7 days for the 100% silicone caulk to cure after tiling). The day before, however, I came home to find some weird tan gritty "poo". It was a very small amount and was the consistency and color of sand and stunk horribly. (He has NEVER been on sand since we got him.) He did not have a normal poo that day, so I assumed it was poop. Yesterday, he ate fine, 8 superworms and about 1/2C of fresh collard greens, mustard greens and grated acorn squash. This morning I woke up to find green diarrhea, normal smelling poo just very very runny. I cleaned it up and let him be, he ate some more salad (same mixture, fresh from the fridge) but only about 3-5 bites. Then this afternoon, I came back to find some more of the sandy, smelly stuff and Oswald opening his mouth really wide. His colors were dark, but he wasn't black bearding. There was more of the stuff and it had that putrid acidic smell that vomit tends to have. (Oswald decided to produce the stuff while I was out of the room both times) He'd walked through the stuff, so I fixed him a quick bath and had my sister watch him while I cleaned up the mess.

His tank is the same as before, I just added silicone caulk between the tiles (NOT the anti-mildew kind). I use a mercury vapor bulb that is within 12 inches of him. Same light, same general set up. My ex has our thermometer, so I can't guarantee his temps are perfect, but I'm assuming so because everything is in the same exact location in his cage. My ex will be bringing the thermometer in the morning, so I'll be able to record temperatures then. There aren't any vets in the area that will take reptiles (Yay for living in WV), so I'm kinda stuck in that regard. He's 3.5 years old. I've owned him for over a year, and he's been fine up until now. Could this all be related to the stress from the move? Does the gritty sandy smelly stuff sound familiar to anyone? Is it poo or vomit?

Soooo.... any ideas? I am willing to mail his poo in for a fecal if I can find a place to send it....but like I said, I'm having difficulty finding a vet to take him after the move....

Speedy01

I don't know exactly but my only guess would be the silicone making a bad smell as it does can you smell any silicone? Because when I used it to seal a leak it made me very light headed I know that beardies will throw up from smelling pine maby the silicone is doing it? Just a thought

cboocks

Original Poster
He did this once before the silicone, and I've waited six and a half days after putting it in before letting him back In the tank. I had everyone in the house stick their heads in and none of us can smell the silicone.

Thanks for the link. I tried emailing them once before when I first got Oswald, but ill try again. :)

cboocks

Original Poster
General info: (copied these questions from another post)
How old is your dragon? 3.5 years
How long have you had your dragon? 15 months
How long is your dragon? 23 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? A 40 gallonbreeder tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Tiles and silicon caulk between them
Do you use UVB lights? Yes. A mercury vapor bulb (my ex bought it and I don't know what brand_
How old is your UVB bulb? 13mos
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? about 10 inchs, it's clamped to the edge of the tank, hanging inside
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? No.
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? Getting a CHE as soon as possible (graduation is next week, I'll be getting money then)
How long are lights on each day? 12 hrs
What are the basking temps? 97-98*
What is the cool side temp? about 75*

Been monitoring temperature, so I'll post them and fill out the form below. His temps are a little low, so I bought a hammock to put him up closer to his main light and am going to buy a CHE for temperature both for day and night as soon as I get some graduation money. The joys of graduating college and having no job and moving back in with the parents. Poor Oswald has a bad mommy.

What is the night time temp? 70
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer with wire and probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? His basking temperature is 98*
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Mix of collards, mustard greens and acorn squash every day. 5-10 superworms every day. I alternate between calcium and multivitamin, 4 days calcium 3 days multivitamin a week.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? He gets his greens in the morning and then worms in the afternoon.
How many live feeders do you offer at time? No more than 10
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? Yes. 4 days calcium and 3 days multivitamins
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? No
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? Yes, every 3-4 days.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes. I give him water in the mornings and he'll take big drink, then offer again in the evening but he doesn't always drink then.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom