Dewey.. My Sweet Boy.. My Dew Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I made decision that all of us pet owners fear and worry about. I decided to let Dewey go on to the Rainbow Bridge after a two week battle with some kind of major health issue. On Thanksgiving morning he woke me up having a seizure like episode and from then on he was never the same. We don’t know for sure what was wrong. His calcium level was fine and all of his organs were working fine according to the blood work that his vet ran. The only issue his blood work showed was a high white blood cell count, but the antibiotics we tried did not help him. In fact, he only got worse. The last three nights he was here with me, he didn’t get very much sleep if any at all. He was starting to have seizures and other weird random bodily movements as well. I personally feel something neurological was going on. Either way, enough suffering was enough and I decided to let him be free of the pain.

Dewey was my first bearded dragon and I got him as a baby in early 2010. He was such a mellow and sweet boy who loved to be held and he loved to cuddle. Just about every night I’d hold him and cover him up with a blanket until he fell asleep. Often times he would tuck his head under my chin and he’d fall asleep in that position. I’m going to miss our night time routine.

Initially he hated going outside. It was a big, scary world for him, but eventually he learned to love it. On days when it was warm enough I made sure to bring him out even if it was only for about 15 minutes. He was a fussy eater and wasn’t too fond of his salads. His all time favorite food was hornworms! That boy went nuts for hornworms and would eat as many as I offered.

I stayed with him until the very end as I feel it’s my responsibility to do so with my pets. After seeing him in such rough shape for the past two weeks it healed my heart a little bit seeing how peaceful he looked when he had passed. Although, it’ll take a while for my heart to heal completely. We both fought so hard to beat this thing, but I don’t think we would’ve ever won this battle.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the short time I had Dewey here with me. He was such a good boy and I feel so blessed to have had him in my life. I will miss him always.

Shortly after getting him home. Here he is exploring his new home.

Gosh, it’s so hard to believe he was so tiny!

His face exploding during one of his sheds.

One of my all time favorite pictures of him. He was such a sweet heart.

This picture is extra special. This is my dog Riley who I lost on 10/22/11. He passed away from a heart condition at the age of 9 years 7 months. He was very curious about this new little creature. I suppose they’ve been reunited by now.

Snuggling during one of cuddle times to tuck him in.

I put him on a mirror out of curiousity to see how the pic would come out and I loved it.

More recent photos of Dewey soaking up some rays. I was always so nervous about not having him in his harness. This is one of the few times I took it off to get some better pictures of him outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom