Delaware ban on reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwik8

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone, I got some news from another Dragon owner that the state of Delaware is planning on banning ALL reptiles (including bearded dragons and other lizards). I was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this. I know I live in a small state and I am not sure if anyone else on this site even lives here but figured I would ask. According to my friend, the permit which would be required for keeping any reptile after this law is passed is going to be very difficult to get. So far the only information I have found in detail is at http://www.pijac.org under breaking news, please let me know if anyone else has any information. Thanks, Chris.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hopefully, it's not as bad as it seems. (I can't get the link to work, it just crashed my browser, I will try later) You should be able to be 'grandfathered-in'. Let us know what comes of this, please.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Gosh - do regulators really have NOTHING better to do?

Anyway, I don't think it's going to be that bad. It seems like it is similar to NJ regulations about getting a permit.:

Individual Permit
The rule provides that when exotics are kept as pets, the owner or appointed custodian of the exotic must
apply to the department for an individual permit. Initial permit applications must be filed within 10 days
of acquiring the exotic or within 10 days of relocating the exotic into Delaware. A separate individual
permit is required for each exotic animal intended as a pet. Individual permits must be renewed every
three years with renewal before March 31st of the fourth year, and the department may conduct a
background check on applicants.

It may not be a bad thing because it's requiring pet stores or other sellers to document the animal's conditions and provide the buyer with certain information. Furthermore, it forces the seller to guarantee the animal's health.

There are some bad things it seems like if someone is bit then the animal has to be put down. That is truly sad. Also, it seems like there are breeding restrictions.

Elaina

Juvie Member
You have to have a permit in Australia, and I've heard that its not too bad, and there IS a benefit to the animals health. Thats better to me.

Eadig

Juvie Member
Ahh yes... Pijac...

they've made similar untrue claims about the BC provincial government trying to do that to us.

What they were really doing was the BCSPCA was updating the list of dangerous animals that were to be illegal to sell as pets. Mostly Hot Snakes were on the list.

PIJAC Has Pulled this Crap many times to try to gain more support. They are a bunch of Liars.

I suggest googling the Bill that is suposed to put this into motion. That's what I did up here, that's how I found out that PIJAC were full of the brown stuff.

To Sum it up, don't Trust anything PIJAC Says. They are a bunch of Reactionary extremists. They made claims in the past, even linked to the info that PROVED THEM TO BE LIARS.

kwik8

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, thanks for all the information everyone. Appreciate it, I usually don't jump to conclusions on just heresay but it seemed legit at the time. Not saying it isn't something Delaware is trying to do but after I tried researching it more and contacted a few people who would know that live near De. noone had heard about it. I will keep looking into it. Thanks again for the information.

Eadig

Juvie Member
you have to be careful about that too, kwik.

there's one city in BC that passed a bylaw during a city councel meeting... they are suposed to have 3 readings of it... they had 3 sessions that day. It really is illegal, but, I'm just saying they can sneak through. All of our legislation and bills and whatnot are usually posted on the government sites for public viewing, so I'm pretty sure that if you can't find it by googling it, it doesn't exist.

Like I said, when PIJAC claimed that the SPCA was making All Exotic animals illegal to own up here, it was really that the BCSPCA was re-evaluating the term. Actually most of the stuff in the Bill was updating the laws on keeping WILD Animals Captive. The only things they were adding to the lists were hots and excessively large lizards. I think there were a few very rare and "very specialized setups required" animals. Certain soon-to-be-endangered tropical fish and the like.

I find that VERY far from All exotic pets becomming illegal. Hence, very far from the truth.

So there might be something in the pipe, it's just nothing like what PIJAC is claiming it is.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
i kind of wish californians had to have a liscene to own cirtain reptiles.

baby turtles(and adults for that matter)
bearded dragons
iguanas
horned lizards(endangered AND hard to keep :evil: )

these animals suffer in dark, cramped cages(probably a million just in CA alone) all because parents cave in to their kids whining about wanting a reptile;

"oh ok honey, we'll get you a baby turtle but we cant spend alot of money. we'll by a fishbowl to keep him in ok?"

if you dont have alot of money to spare then setting up a reptile isnt for you :x !

theres also plenty of adults keeping reptiles in sad conditions too. when i ask them why they dont buy a UV-B light instead of a decoration they say somehting like;

"dont worry about it man, this thing has lived this long, i aint gonna buy anything extra. besides man, this heat rock costs $15, how much is that light thing? $50 :shock: ?! no way man, if he needed one of those then shouldnt he be dead by now :lol: ? thanks anyhow but worry about someone else, this isnt really a big deal to me. its just something that looked like fun so i bought one."

i hate people...

i think that any animal that is fairly complicated to keep should require a liscense or permit; basically anything requiring UV-B to stay healthy.

next to NOBODY buys UV lights where i live. i talk to people in the petstores i visit and their reptiles are lucky to have a heat lamp :roll: .

it just makes me very sad. i hope someday people will stop buying animals on an impulse.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
jscott":426cb said:
if you dont have alot of money to spare then setting up a reptile isnt for you :x !

theres also plenty of adults keeping reptiles in sad conditions too. when i ask them why they dont buy a UV-B light instead of a decoration they say somehting like;

"dont worry about it man, this thing has lived this long, i aint gonna buy anything extra. besides man, this heat rock costs $15, how much is that light thing? $50 :shock: ?! no way man, if he needed one of those then shouldnt he be dead by now :lol: ? thanks anyhow but worry about someone else, this isnt really a big deal to me. its just something that looked like fun so i bought one."

i hate people...

i think that any animal that is fairly complicated to keep should require a liscense or permit; basically anything requiring UV-B to stay healthy.

next to NOBODY buys UV lights where i live. i talk to people in the petstores i visit and their reptiles are lucky to have a heat lamp :roll: .

it just makes me very sad. i hope someday people will stop buying animals on an impulse.
Thank you for verbalizing exactly what I was thinking!!! It makes me SO ANGRY to see these clueless people in the pet stores trying to buy animals that they know nothing about...it's like a death sentence to the poor animal and it hurts to see it.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
hmmm i would agree with it if it was basically to stop ignorant owners causing harm to an animal and stop evil shop keepers leaving owners confused (example about calci sand and enclosure size) and selling animals to any old person even drug dealer high as a kite just to make money. However i would dissagree with breeding restrictions and punishments involving the destruction of animals.

Eadig

Juvie Member
I think you should have to attend some sort of class or pass a test of some sorts to be allowed to care for anything, honestly.

One thing I've said recently I think will become a regular phrase... Way too many people arn't even ready for Electricity, let alone big things like the intertubes.

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
jscott":5b5ab said:
i kind of wish californians had to have a liscene to own cirtain reptiles.

baby turtles(and adults for that matter)
bearded dragons
iguanas
horned lizards(endangered AND hard to keep :evil: )

these animals suffer in dark, cramped cages(probably a million just in CA alone) all because parents cave in to their kids whining about wanting a reptile;

I agree partially with jscott, but how hard would it be to get a license? I fund for my beardie, Liza, by doing chores and jobs for neighbors and my parents, but I am only 14. I live in NY, so its not a problem now, but if they did require a license in the future, would i be able to get one? If not, NO FAIR!!! :angry5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom