Decision time, need some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Hey guys,

Posted a few days ago about one of my babies with a Upper Respiratory Infection or at least I thought it was. I am 99% sure it is now she is showing all the symptoms. She will not eat on her own so I have been force feeding crickets and baby food (1 ML Chicken with apples and Squash mixed with soem Repcal with D3 and small amount of multivitamin and about 5-6 crickets) . I have been administering a probiotic for the past 2 days now and just ordered some reptaid from Elliot at Chams NW.

She weighs 19 grams and is like 4 months old, I have a male around the same age and he is something like 42 grams so I know she is not where she needs to be, he is also like 4 inches longer. They are not housed together.

The Reptaid will probably not be here until Wednesday of next week and truthfully during the work week I do not have a ton of time to spend with her to force feed, I called the vet today and they want something like $50 for the exam, $20 for some baytril (or other Antibiotic, if it is for sure a URI), and $25 for a fecal. I am willing to pay it (not something I can really afford right now) but do you guys think this is worth it, or should I wait out the Reptaid?

I have increased the temps in her enclosure, I have a Heat emitter from Reptileuv.com for night temps, I guess really my question is to those who have dealt with URI's before... do they need medication always or is this something she can fight off on her own with the correct care on my part.

Any Advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi.
Sorry that one of your babies is not doing well.
If it were me, I would make the trip to the vet. Nothing against Reptaid, I have never used it, but just using it (even if you had it right now) wouldnt guarantee success with this problem.
Hope that she improves for you. Keep us updated.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey thanks really appreciate it. After feeding her this morning after making this post she kinda started to head downhill a little and is pretty much just laying there having a hard time keeping her head up. I did make the vet appointment and they had an emergency opening this afternoon @ 2:30. Vet is like 2 + hours away but it's worth the trip I feel horrible for her. Hopefully it's not too late :( .. fingers crossed.

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Good luck to you and the baby. I know we would be in the same boat if our beardie got sick. The only reptile vet is about 1.5 hrs away. Small town life does have some drawbacks. Hope she pulls through.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well just got back from the vet. It is an URI as I suspected and I was able to get some Antibiotics. I still have some reptaid on the way as well so we will see how it goes. I do not think I had much of a choice with her condition this morning. We shall see....

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I agree, you didn't have a choice, you had to get her to a vet. I suggest that you use the meds that the vet gave you (he was a reptile vet?) also, when the reptaid gets to you, start that based on her weight as it'll help keep her tummy from getting to upset from the meds as most of them are very harsh on their systems.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes he is a reptile vet.. it's a small animal and Exotic hospital where I took her. He gave her some Baytril and Trimethoprim (Spelling?). I gave her some just recently and it seems she has perked up a little, still having to hand feed crickets to her, she is drinking like a fish too I suspect the sickness has dehydrated her. I am glad I went to the vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your baby is not feeling well. It is not always necessary to medicate with respiratory infections, but if they get worse, then sometimes there are not very many options as they can go downhill quickly.
So you have her on 2 medications? Personally, I would just use the Baytril & not the Trimeth. What was his reasoning for using 2 medications on such a small dragon? I was just wondering. The Baytril alone should kick it pretty quickily. What is the dosage she is being given & what is the concentration of the Baytril, do you know?
Definitely keep giving the probiotics & extra oral fluids to help her kidneys while she is on the meds. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am not sure what the concentration is but I brought up the same questions to the vet. I know that sulfate medications can have their toll on small animals so I asked him why he wanted to give the two and he told me because the combination of both of the medications act as kind of a fault tolerance, incase one of them does not get the job done the other will.. that's what I got out of the conversation honestly. I have weighed her over the past couple days every morning and she is staying pretty consistently at about 17-19 grams which is good that she is not losing weight. The dosage is .01 ML every day for I think 14 days. I am actually kind of curious why I am not administering twice a day as I thought bacterial infections can build back up if not killing them pretty quickly.

I will keep her on both for right now unless I see her take a turn for the worst. I just have never dealt in all my years doing this with an URI but they look like something you do not want to mess with. This is a dragon I got on a impulse from a reptile show, and I know I should not have bought her because the breeder was already feeding her superworms and that's all he was feeding. I knew something was not right but she was way to beautiful to pass her by for the price... I guess now I am paying for it. At least I can look at it now like a rescue and I helped her as long as she pulls through, which I hope she does, this sickness has really bonded us together... and I think she knows the lengths I am going through to keep her healthy and alive.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update on this. Guinevere is doing much better so it seems I am still having to hand feed her but now she is showing some signs of life. She is basking and moving around now. She has her eyes open and not always shut now. I have been alternating her with a megaray I have on my male (she has a Reptisun 10 on her now but is really not able to photo regulate and get close enough to it, right now she is about 12'' away from it.) I have another Mega on order.

Anyway thanks for everyone's help who did help and hopefully soon I will be able to post some healthy pics of my Guin!

surgerising

Hatchling Member
I am glad to hear that she is doing better. May I make a suggestion...until the other mega ray gets to you switch out thier lights, if your male is doing better, then she should get the better light. Also the mega ray needs 4 days to burn before you can place it over your baby. I would def, swap lights and give her the better one. Hope she keeps making a forward progress.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have been switching them daily until the new bulb gets here. Going any more then a day without sunlight (UV-B) may not hurt my male but I am afraid that it may weaken his immune system possible from the stress and he would be susceptible to illness. The Reptisun 10 should be OK for her for a few days until I get the new bulb... my male is in a 95 Gallon she is in a 30 gallon so that 24'' light is more likely to positively affect her then it is him... it's a crazy situation I have because I had to scramble to get her in a smaller enclosure when she got sick.

I talked to Bob Mac yesterday and he did advise me that the mega rays have been given time to burn in while I will let it burn in a little it is not necessary to let it go for 4 days, that's on the direct advice from the owner of Reptile UV.

I appreciate the concern and thanks for wishing Guin to be better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom