De-hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently brought my beardie from pets at home.I picked the one i wanted (Izzy 12"-13") but was told that he had lost weight due to the fact they had put him in with the adults, i can only presume because they wanted to sell him as a adult instead of a juvie, but they were bullying him/her and as a result he could not get any food because the bigger ones were eating it. I had Izzy cause i felt sorry for him/her.Since iv had him ( 5 days) he is eating fine and i was told to feed Izzy 5 wax worms per day to bulk him/her back up. I also give her hoppers every other day and his/her appetite is good, no problems with live food and i always put a bowl of veggies in (ie Kale,Rocket,romain lettuce,cucumber,red apple without the skin) and calcium dust everything (live food & veg) and gut load the hoppers. I wont feed meal worm due to the fact of the risk of impact or they can break out of stomach if not chewed properly .He/she looks better but still abit wrinkly on the top sides of front part of back. I bath her every other day and mist daily. I have all the correct lighting ie UVB/UVA Basking light and the temperature is correct, other than that he/she is very active and looks fine.His/her bowl movement's are daily. I was just wondering how long it will take for Izzy to gain her correct weight back and if he/she might be de-hydrated. I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks Andy & Izzy

Gail

BD.org Addict
Try and give her water by mouth if she isn't drinking in the bath. If she is dehydrated then bathing alone isn't enough.
You should also cut the calcium back to one feeding a day, 5 days a week. Dusting all her meals is a bit much.
Do you know how old she is? If she is under a year and needs weight on, you can feed her hoppers everyday along with her greens.

andyjayjay

Original Poster
I aren't sure how old she is but she had a drink out of the bath about 10 mins ago. I brought her as a juvenile from pets at home which is a reputable shop, but i think she is 3-4 months. I just think she was underfed but she has a good appetite. she will eat her greens but not that often but they are always there for her. I offer her bits and she will take a few pieces out my hand. Thanks.

andyjayjay

Original Poster
He is looking alot better now.I wonder if it is time for him to shed.It I think it could be as he as gone a little darker. :?:

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Hey, since he didn't clarify about romaine lettuce, I will add. It's not BAD for them it just doesn't contain nutrients in it, enough for a beardie. The overall content of romaine is water. I suggest collards, escarole, dandelion greens, endive, mustard greens. Pretty much anything with "green" has a lot of nutritional value. I wouldn't feed Kale every day unless you mix it with something else because it contains high levels of calcium and combined with dusting may be a little much. Heres a really awesome food guide that could help you out.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom