Day 1 of Dubias seems to be working out... he LOVES them

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistergin

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O58KCwh4kj8

Was hesitant to even entertain the idea but after seeing how nasty crickets got after a couple weeks, I figured the dubias would be a good investment. I set up their Steralite container and they seem to be eating/drinking well enough. I took out one of the smaller egg crates they came in and put it into Toothless' bathing/eating container (sterilized between uses) and only expected him to eat 2-3 since he never ate more than 5 crickets usually.

Totally not the case. He started tearing away at them and I was able to start a video once he was a few in. Was great to see him so entertained. He loves his salads (gets a quarter raspberry a day because the red color is like lizard catnip) but feeding protein was always a pain since I got him a month ago.

The dubias don't fly or scale walls like you think they would.. at least not from what I've seen so far. And the fact that they can't survive outside in North America is a big plus.

Now to get a metal dish since they seem to have troubles climbing out of those. It's gross to think of raising a colony but if it's this easy and they're so healthy.. kind of hard to avoid :mrgreen:

mistergin

Original Poster
Big thanks to the folks who recommended slate tile for his substrate btw... his nails were terrible when we got him and now they're pretty well filed down just from natural use over the slate.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I use small glass bowls for dubias. You can find them in the small animal section of any pet store. Mine knows when the good stuff is coming when he sees his bowl!

mistergin

Original Poster
Brezzy99":2azqab8v said:
I use small glass bowls for dubias. You can find them in the small animal section of any pet store. Mine knows when the good stuff is coming when he sees his bowl!

Awesome, I'll look for those. Day 2 was great because I can simply take out a smaller piece of egg carton that some roaches are on, hold it with the long feeding tongs, and he'll just lick em right off the carton.

Hard to pick em up without squishing them but they're docile enough that if you can get them on something (paper towel roll, etc.) they're super easy to transfer.

Day 2.. no regrets switching from crickets. No worries about cleaning poop, them jumping and escaping, etc.

Even the winged male dubias just looked for dark to run to.. no flapping and flying yet. Clear packing tape along the inside seems to be keeping anyone from escaping.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I have a breeding bin and have yet to have any escape. The small critter thing that most pet stores sell for crickets is great for the dubias. I put their calcium or multivitamins in the bottom then get the egg crate (with tong) and tap it over the container. Shake them up a little then put them in the bowls. You can even do it the night before.

My tiny beardie (4 1/2 in) ate 8 this morning plus salad. Spyro is 4 months old and packed away 32 this morninglus half his salad. They are pigs.

Jam

That video was fun, your dragon is very cute and slender. Can you post a pic of the slate tile thing you mentioned? I think I would like to attempt that in the near future if I think it is what I am thinking.

Thanks in advance,

Josie (Newbie)

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Okay, that was just super cute to watch. Especially when Toothless stomped his foot on the egg crate and cocked his head.
My husband won't let us try dubias because he is afraid they will get loose and dig in to our cupboards. What is the difference between dubias and other roaches??

BeardieCW

KarenInCA":2n9p2hz1 said:
Okay, that was just super cute to watch. Especially when Toothless stomped his foot on the egg crate and cocked his head.
My husband won't let us try dubias because he is afraid they will get loose and dig in to our cupboards. What is the difference between dubias and other roaches??

I don't know much about other roaches, because I only feed my beardie the dubias. But I know that dubias have lots of protein, and unlike mealworms, they can digest them properly (If they are not too big).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bw341606
Top Bottom