Darwin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Vet called back and said she's prescribing 10 days worth of Ronidazole and then wants to do another fecal test in two weeks. Hopefully this medication isn't too hard on his system and takes care of the problem in one shot. I'll be sure to offer him some extra hydration to help protect his kidneys. Strong meds make me nervous after Dundee but this seems like a logical course of treatment (and I saw the flagellates myself) so I'm hopeful. Meds should arrive from Wedgewood in a few days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I didn't get any extra info about it from the vet but I'm aware of it. Dundee was on it's cousin Metronidazole for a while. That's what makes me nervous. I'm just hoping it targets what it needs to and gets the job done quickly so we can be done with it. We'll try to protect his kidneys with more hydration while he's on it and give him a long rest between doses if more is needed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Second day of meds today. So far so good. Appetite and energy levels are still up. No black beard. He isn't taking extra water but he is eating plenty of fresh veges and ate a handful of juicy bugs so that's OK.

My mom sent him some cat toy balls so I tried using them with some bugs. They are too small for his normal sized roaches but I'll try them with some smaller ones. I fit a superworm in it but he picked it off easily as soon as it stuck it's head up.

https://vimeo.com/166055459

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hope the medicine will get rid of that awful parasite (or whatever they are) once and for all, with no side effects to his little body.

Cute video of Darwin checking out the super in the cat ball.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I loved the video, he picked off that superworm so fast! Wonder what he'll do with dubia, should be interesting. I'm hoping the meds work, too, and he doesn't have to have a repeat. He's doing so well! So full of energy and what an appetite, wish mine would eat salad like he does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I release the dubia one at a time and he stalks them across the kitchen floor. They have no chance. The spaces on the cat toys are too small for me to get the dubias into (and for him to get them out) so I'll need to get larger ones for that. He is the best salad eater I've seen so I'm definitely lucky on that front. He has collards, green bell pepper, and green beans today. His weight is now up over 400g and still trending upward which is also a good sign. The meds haven't shown any effect so far (halfway through) but they also don't seem to be bothering him at all which is nice.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh that is such great news, that the meds aren't bothering him! Some just won't eat, so glad that's not happening. He's so full of energy and love that he stalks his food. Give him a hug for me, tell him he's a great dragon!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Today his poop was more formed than ever and had a clearly defined urate section. He didn't release a pool of liquid either which is really encouraging. I'm hoping it's not a one off thing but he ate pretty well again today and is up to 414g. Two more days of meds to go.

76248-7792060491.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Looks like the meds are working for him, so glad to hear that. When they have water with their poops and urates, just means they get enough water. Mine do that but with formed poops and urates.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom