Darkling Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lizard Sobek is living in my bedroom and I feed him superworms. Every now and then I get a run in with a darkling beetle in my room or in his terrarium. I even encountered one on my pillow while I was trying to sleep. I am scared of cockroaches and beetles, because the thought of them crawling on me sends shivers down my spine. Can someone help me control these pesky insects?

Hikari

Are they wild, or are they coming from pupating feeders? If they're coming from the wild, that might be harder to deal with. Pupating feeders can be dealt with by making sure they can't pupate anywhere they can crawl out from.

For what it's worth, if they're the right species, and you catch some and let them breed, they'll make more worms for you :p I have a small colony of Zophobas morio, the beetles superworms turn into. They really are quite harmless, and they're not really that scary once you get used to them. Now I just kinda laugh at their weird buggy antics...give them fresh carrots and watch them go nuts, stuff like that.

I used to be kinda freaked out by several of my feeder insects, but after a while, it just kinda doesn't bother me anymore. I've handled my crickets, dubia roaches, superworms (and beetles), and BSFL all barehanded at this point. Watch them, learn about them, and maybe it'll help you desensitize yourself to them. Bugs can be really cool in their own rights.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The pupa are a very desireable treat for my lizards, the BTs and beardies have always loved a superworm pupa , and the water skinks and hatchlings have always loved mealworm pupae as treats.

My superworm pupa never last long enough to become beetles , the mealworm pupae do, and my skinks (bluetongues , water skinks) and beardies love them …. they are crunchy treats for them.

Place your superworm (or mealworm) pupae in a tub on some wheatbran , when the beetles emerge they will mate and then lay eggs which will soon hatch and you'll have tiny baby worms , do this methodically and you will never need to buy the worms ever again.

BTW FYI , superworms are a poor staple feeder insect , best only given as occasional treats to adult dragons , and mealworms are at best an occasional treat or bribe for hatchling dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom