Dark Morph

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickest

Juvie Member
Hi all - was at a reptile show this weekend and saw a little beardie that was basically dark grey (charcoal colored) with red bars on his back. I was wondering if anyone knew a breeder that was breeding dark dragons? And what the color morph would be designated? I'm hoping to be able to get a new baby on my birthday in October and would love a dark one. Can anyone help?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well i have seen only one dragon that was like black. I think they called him the darth vader beardie lol. lets see if i can find a pic of him i've only seen one.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok i found it. It was from bloodbankdragons.com
P1000096.JPG

Im not sure if they are actually breeding that color out, or if it was just a freak gentic thing that is rare but i think its cool.

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I saw that one on the Bloodbank Dragons website, but I think he is a leatherback and I really don't want a leatherback - I like the spikes and dragon like skin. I was hoping to find one colored like that with the spikes! I love stroking them with my fingers.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Bloodbank is pretty much the go to place for any "fancy" dragon, it'll cost you big time. But if you want the best, they're the best.

Pravius

Juvie Member
That one in that picture is actually not a leather you can see the bumps on his back. A true leather will have a complete lack of scales on the back. I do not know of anyone in the industry that is breeding these on purpose. I have seen some that they call solid lavenders (not just the bars) but they are all out of clutches that do not have any other siblings like this.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pravius":d3d75 said:
That one in that picture is actually not a leather you can see the bumps on his back. A true leather will have a complete lack of scales on the back.

Actually a leather does have scales but they are really small and reduced, almost to where they can't be seen or noticed. A Silkback, is a beardie that has a complete lack of scales on the back, like salamander skin.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DragonsInKansas":9e44e said:
haven't seen a silkback in "real life" yet, but they kinda creep me out

I haven't seen on in real life either, just online:
Silkbackbd.jpg

They look like salamanders to me, I like them though, i wouldn't mind having my own :mrgreen:

Pravius

Juvie Member
Truthfully I do not like them much either. People experimenting to that point with genetics is scary to me.. especially with it being so easy to breed these animals... we have no idea on how genetically they may be messed up.. limited eye sight, hearing, ect.

I have noticed in the animals I have collected and bred that some of the "morphs" do act differently then some of the non "morphed" dragons.. even in observing I have seen some really weird things with the way they respond to different colors and things like that. For the silkback.. that's the line I draw.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lol whats next? a beardie that can fly?...... :shock: that would be cool actually! lol a real dragon! :mrgreen:

Pravius

Juvie Member
Well so do I... the thing is really, is the open market that we have in this industry. It's a shame that people pay so much for silkbacks because all that is going to do is drive more and more irresponsible breeders to try to create this genetic mutation, which in turn really further limits the gene pool that we have to work with.

I have morphs, but I have always been really careful on who I purchased these morphs from. It is critical that the breeder that works on these lines that they breed back to the "wild type" gene meaning they breed back to plain old beardies and outcross them to genetically strengthen the lines.

Some people as with anything are in this only for money and that's where we get these really bad morphs from that could suffer from, limited eye sight, def or hard of hearing, mental retardation, ect. Really it just comes down to trust on who you buy from.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
hmmmm, mental retardation...........I think one or two of mine might be suffering from that.......or they're just to lazy to do anything. I'm going to go with lazy. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom