Dark all over

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicaLuck

Hatchling Member
So recently my beardie has been very dark. His temps are on and he's eating. But his beard is dark he's got really dark stress marks. Just all around dark. What might be causing this? He hasn't had coccidia meds in over a week and I'm waiting for him to Poop so I can get a fresh sample to check to see if the coccidia is gone. Nothing has changed. If anything he's eating more. Should I worry? I took him outside for a few minutes and he lightened up a bit but when I took him back in he went right back to black. I have not wanted to hold him much incase he's stressed. Can anyone give me some input? Thank you. He's about 7 or 8 months.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Behavior]

Had there been any changes to his viv or the room where he lives? The slightest change (addition/removal of furniture, color, noise) would upset them.

btrot95

Bearded Dragons have a tendency to show distress through color change, as you stated you are aware of. A key sign to what is wrong, is that when he was taken outside, he lightened up. Here is what I think is the possible problem: he is lacking the vitamin D3 that is usually obtained through UVA/UVB light. I recommend getting a bulb that puts out those rays, that is NOT being blocked by the glass, which filters the UV rays. Also, decrease the distance from his basking spot, to allow a bit of hotter rays, but still allowing enough difference in temperature for his cold side. I recommend giving that a try. Let me know!

Best of luck! :D

btrot95

Is the sun lamp able to send rays across the entire tank without any obstructions? When it comes to the heat however, moving it might be a smart thing to try. If he spends more time under it once its moved closer, then that means that was exactly what he needed! If he tries to avoid it once it's moved, or tries to get to a lower spot than usual, then move it back to where you originally had it. I would say that after a week or so, if the change in lamp placement and sun say changes don't fix the problem, I recommend seeing an exotic veterinarian and taking him to the vet. Best of luck! :)

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Have you tried soaking him so he'll poop? Also, how new is your bulb? And how are your humidity levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom