Daily Food - Wont eat crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonedaddy

I have a beardie for about 4 months now. He has been eating about 20 crickets a day plus collard greens, carrots, escarole, etc. and the occasional superworm.

All of the sudden he will not touch the crickets. The only way he will eat the crickets is if he refuses to eat in the morning, then he will eat a few crickets when I get home from work.

Superworms he will eat any time any place, he seems to love them.

Crickets and superworms are the only available to me without ordering on the internet. Everytime I order pheonix worms, they are mostly dead. Probably from the heat here in Southern NJ this time of year, and I am assuming I will have the same problem in the frigid winters.

So my question is... Is this normal? He seems alert, his eyes look good, he is still shedding every two weeks or so, and he is not losing weight that I can notice. He does seem to sleep more than usual though.

Also, does anyone know of any stores around Philadelphia that sell other feeders other than crickets and superworms?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Superworms are a very poor staple feeder insect and best not given at all to young bearded dragons and only as treats to adult bearded dragons.

Show him you're the boss, assist (hand feed) some of his crickets to him.

You shouldn't have any problems getting silkworms , calcigents (phoenix worms) and roachs and crickets set to you in bulk by express post , heck I live in a very hot country (in summer) and I regularly have bulk shipments of crickets and worms sent to me that have to travel over 800km and rearly have issues of insects DOA.

I expect plenty of keepers have cold polar winters too and still manage to get regular shipments of bulk insects sent to them without any problems or many insects DOA.

Sure that someone here can point you in the right direction regarding good suppliers who do a very good job looking after their shipments in all seasons.

Regarding slow down in food lust - yes it seems it's quite normal for them to become less enthusiastic about chasing their insects and making them disappear in no time like when they are perpetually hungry hatchlings as they grow older. They come to realise the food will come at the same times each day and become very lazy, ie my two little ones about the same age as your's started just waiting for the insect to come to them while basking, rather than using energy chasing them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
vonedaddy":8n1s05b7 said:
I have a beardie for about 4 months now. He has been eating about 20 crickets a day plus collard greens, carrots, escarole, etc. and the occasional superworm.

All of the sudden he will not touch the crickets. The only way he will eat the crickets is if he refuses to eat in the morning, then he will eat a few crickets when I get home from work.

Superworms he will eat any time any place, he seems to love them.

Crickets and superworms are the only available to me without ordering on the internet. Everytime I order pheonix worms, they are mostly dead. <<< are you sure they are dead , and not just dormnant or in pupate stage ? see http://www.herpcenter.com/insect-care-sheets/phoenix-worms-care-sheet/
Probably from the heat here in Southern NJ this time of year, and I am assuming I will have the same problem in the frigid winters.

So my question is... Is this normal? He seems alert, his eyes look good, he is still shedding every two weeks or so, and he is not losing weight that I can notice. He does seem to sleep more than usual though.

Also, does anyone know of any stores around Philadelphia that sell other feeders other than crickets and superworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom