custom 5'x3'x2' beardie enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibz117

hey guys. first build thread. meet clyde (on the left) and bonnie (on the right) thats me with the tinkerbell tattoo
SAM_0116.jpg

for a while, they were sharing a 20 gallon long enclosure. my gf and i noticed that bonnie wasnt letting clyde eat. we decided to put our plans on fast forward. i designed a stackable 5x3x2 enclosure for my beardies. just finished up the first one, and have access to a comp to make a build thread. first, i framed up a 5x3 frame out of 2x2 boards.

SAM_0162.jpg

after that, i framed up the sides, back, front, and top. each side has its own frame. designed it this way to have maximum strength. after i got all the frames built, i cut plywood for each frame.

SAM_0165.jpg

next step was to start assembling the walls.

SAM_0167.jpg

right now, the top was left open to access lights, and the front frame isnt installed. at this point, i still needed to cut channels for the two pieces of plexiglass to slide in.

finally, time to start the lights.

SAM_0169.jpg

in this pic, you can see all the lights installed in their final spot. basking on far left, two regular household bulbs, followed by a repti-sun 10.0 tube. you cant see it, but i have a metal bar going across the top that the lights are mounted too. the floor tiles you see in this pic are not the final floor. they are there just in case my beardie digs to the bottom and scratches at the wood. dont want him to get splinters lol.

SAM_0171.jpg

here are the switches, i have the basking light on a dimmer, the rest are on regular switches.

SAM_0178.jpg

here you can see my wall. i used 2" foam insulation. cut to size and glued to the plywood walls. i then carved it all by hand. looks like the foam rock inserts you can get at pet stores.

IMG_20130115_231722.jpg

i decided to see what it would look like with the decorations inside. the rock on the left is the basking platform. i have a foam post holding it up, and a cork round leaning against it. the rock on the right is cut into the foam wall, with another rock helping to hold it up.

i dont have pics of the next step, by my gf and i painted on a grout/morter mix to all the foam to make it rock hard. its as hard as stone. after this, the construction was done. my buddie and i carried it up from my basement to my room on my second floor. its pretty heavy, and sturdy.

finally time to decorate it and move in the beardie. i let it sit for a few days to air out any fumes.

SAM_0190.jpg

since we feed our beardies in a different enclosure than where they live, we decided to use sand as a substrate. then found out we needed about 250 pounds of sand. haha no. we decided to go with zoo med's coconut fiber eco earth. one of the guys at petsmart, who has 5 beardies himself, uses it and has for a few years. he loves it. we bought two 3 brick packs, used all but one. would have been all six, but we used the 10 pound bag of vita-sand we had. we got all the decorations in it, and turned on the lights to see what temps we have. with the basking bulb on the dimmer switch, and it turned up all the way, our basking spot reached 135 degrees. way too hot. turned it down halfway, and the temps are now steady around 108-112. around the middle of the enclosure, temps are around 80-90. on the far right, temps range from 75-85. im gonna tweak with the lights for a little till i get them all with a little smaller range.

i think thats everything. what do yall think. before i forget, i do have some holes cut in the sides with screens on them for ventilation, just dont have pics of them. clyde loves it. when we put him in, he ran around eploring for about 4 hours lol. i think the basking spot may be a little too hot for him, he lays on the cork log and not the stone.

well, thats it for now. cant wait to build the second one for bonnie, but first, im building a drawer/cabinet for all the beardie food/accessories we have. let me know if you guys have any questions about it.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
I was going to ask about the Ventilation Hole's because I did not see any. But I will say, That Fiber Substrate is no Good, it can Cause Impaction, Even if you do not feed them in their Enclosure, Beardies still LOVE to lick EVERYTHING, and will Ingest it that way, also it is not very Sanitary when it come's to Pooping and Cleaning, even tho you may Remove the Poo, the Liquid that come's out with it will Seep into the Fibber, which can Mold, Will Stink, and you have to Worry about Parasite's and Disease's, Mite's, Ect.

But other than that. It look's nice, good Work! I like how it's 5L x 3W x 2H, the more room, the Better.

Edit: Also you have to worry about the Humidity in the Enclosure, since the Fibber will Absorb and Hold Water and Pee, You can't Mist your Beardie's in the Enclosure's and have to make sure they are Super Dry after bath time before you put them back in. Beardies need basically no Humidity at all.

gibz117

Original Poster
I was worried about everything you said about the eco-earth. the guy at petsmart that reccommended it said that he's been using it for a few years with no problem. he could be one of the lucky ones, but as soon as i catch symptoms of impaction, vet time, and getting rid of the eco-earth. as far as humidity goes, it does feel a little bit on the humid side, so in the morning im getting a humidty sensor. if its too humid, ill temporarily place clyde in a different cage till i can get the humidty levels down.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
Yeah, Well in all Honesty...Most Pet Store Worker's do Not know what's really best for Animal's & Reptile's, they tell you to Buy the Product that Cost's Most, or Tell you what they think you want to hear. He might really have 5 Beardies on it, but There's a good chance he was lying or he isn't as Informed or as Experienced as the People on here, his Dragon's could be very Sick and unhealthy but he just doesn't know. Did he recommend you any UVB light and if so What Brand/Kind? I know you have the right Bulb " Reptisun 10.0 Tube" But I'm curious as to what he told you.

And the Humidity will cause Respiratory infection's and problem's for Beardies. I'm not sure what the exact Humidity Level should be, but I'm sure it's very Low, as Bearded Dragon's come from the Hot part's of Australia in Dry Desert/Forest Area's.

gibz117

Original Poster
Before I asked at the store I checked on here and decided the reptisun 10.0. I asked the two employees that have beardies, what bulbs they use. One said only a tup reptisun 10.0,the other said, "if you are on a budget, save for a reptisun 10.0, otherwise you'll be wasting money"

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Good to see you gave your beardie a nice amount of space! Cool build, I also like the switch panel you used.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
gibz117":122hpfyc said:
Before I asked at the store I checked on here and decided the reptisun 10.0. I asked the two employees that have beardies, what bulbs they use. One said only a tup reptisun 10.0,the other said, "if you are on a budget, save for a reptisun 10.0, otherwise you'll be wasting money"

Well if One of them told you about the Reptisun 10.0 maybe he knew more than I'm giving them Credit for. Lol. But I do know alot of other people on here will agree with my Statement about the Fiber Substrate.

But I just Noticed your Control Panel, that's really cool! I knew I couldn't wire some thing up like that, and my Uncle who helped me Build my Enclosure didn't have the time, so I use Mounted a 8 Plug Strip/Sure Protector outlet on the bottom side of my Enclosure. Lol. I'll eventually get a Timmer when I fell I need one.

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
This is exactly what I wanted to do with my viv. With the 3D background and everything. Are the ventilation holes sufficient? I was afraid of lack of air circulation, so I'm actually considering intake and exhaust fans as well, but I wonder what you notice on yours.

gibz117

Original Poster
I feel like the ventilation holes are doing a good job. I'm trying to get some computer fans to do an intake and exhaust fan setup.

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
gibz117":10tqhvg5 said:
I feel like the ventilation holes are doing a good job. I'm trying to get some computer fans to do an intake and exhaust fan setup.

That's exactly what I was considering. Just make sure you put some type of filter on the outside of the intake fan so you don't push dust into the viv.

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
awesome, let me know how that works out. I started the build on mine last night. I opted not to go with the circular vents, just because I'm a cheapo. I have a roll of screen material left over from when I replaced all the screens in my house. I am cutting a slit on each side piece 16"w x 2"h. Going to use the screen over that and use some trim I have to build a frame around the slits. A little more work but I already have those mats. I'm doing the same for the back.

I have a box full of old computer parts too, so if the I need to add fans I'll use some old CPU fans as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom