CROSSFIRE MADE EASY **UPDATED - 3.09.2008** 56K Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mrjayd":b40c7 said:
JayStation3":b40c7 said:
You can pick which ever one you like, if you go with the balck - just expect to put some kind of "wall paper" in side for the lizard - i put bamboo sides and a back ground picture of the desert in mine...i would go with the black if you want it to match all of you furniture

Thanks Jay,

Can you answer my other question above regarding the size of the wood itself?

Sorry 'bout that - I guess I over looked that one... but I just replied via PM....let me know if that helps.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Well I just about got all I need to start building my Crossfire Viv. Just have a question about the placement of the lights. I was looking at the Showcase Cages website and they seem to have the UV bulb way up front. Is it better to have it in front or the back? Or right in the middle?
Also whats everyone's opinion on those Showcase Cages? They don't seem to have any ventilation in them.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well the placement of the lights is not THAT big of a deal- as long as the UVB reaches the majority of the cage - it should be fine to place them where ever you desire. I put mine all the way in the back and against the back piece of wood. The problem i come across is that i cant really move any thing around inside the cage as far as the decor goes. but i did pre drill holes in the top incase i wanted to move any of the lights around.... but the cage deff. needs ventilation...

sddragons

Juvie Member
Yeah actually i'm and in the process now. I have the whole box built and the 16x10 side vents installed and I am just waiting on my 6 circle vents. I didn't like the ones from HD and found some nice white ones with screens already attached to the fronts. I have my lights mounted. And I found that amazon sells aluminum tracks for cheaper than I bought the plastic track for. Just have to order some 1/4 inch glass for the doors and I will be done.
I don't think I will build anymore though cuz I found a supplier that I can but one already built for a lot less money although they are only 18" high but already built. Just add bulbs and plug it in. I am actually selling these and will put them on my website whenever I finish that.....:)

JayStation3":f8c95 said:
did you ever start to build your cage Jay?

ninoupte7

18 inch high interior would be ok for horizontal fluor lamps but probably not for flood style lamps (such as Mega-Ray or others) would, together with their adjustable-angle sockets, then be closer than 12 inches.

The door channeling should be at least along the top edge, be replaced by channel made with quarter round molding or any other method which permits the easy removal of the sliding door in case the door becomes stuck because of grit/sticky gunk along the bottom channel surface.
-Nino

sddragons

Juvie Member
18" is fine and I get away with a very small wattage heat bulb too so it saves on my electric bill. They just have a flat ceramic fixture so its about 12" from the basking area. Critter Condo make these things in 5 high units all 18" apart. Great for breeding.

ninoupte7":87d5e said:
18 inch high interior would be ok for horizontal fluor lamps but probably not for flood style lamps (such as Mega-Ray or others) would, together with their adjustable-angle sockets, then be closer than 12 inches.

The door channeling should be at least along the top edge, be replaced by channel made with quarter round molding or any other method which permits the easy removal of the sliding door in case the door becomes stuck because of grit/sticky gunk along the bottom channel surface.
-Nino

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ninoupte7":8d4e5 said:

-Nino

Well just like the original post shows - when you buy the tracks they are made for easy removal of the doors... but thanks for trying to help anyway

sddragons

Juvie Member
OK almost done. Just waiting on my 36" fixture, order my glass, and I have some nice light solid red oak for the trim that I will just wipe some linseed oil on to bring out the grain. Then I will be done. Never again.....:)
Here's some pics from today.
440122952_rdJiV-L.jpg

440122987_4Jbfw-L.jpg

440123017_rFUca-L.jpg

440123045_gWUVn-L.jpg

440123071_eEMfZ-L.jpg

JayStation3":ff4a4 said:
did you ever start to build your cage Jay?

sddragons

Juvie Member
How does it Look?

The glass doors should be in on Monday and I can put my dragons in. That's going to be the hard part. I have 8 of them so who gets the new pad...... :mrgreen:. I might just use it for when the babies come this spring. I can put quite a few shoebox size containers in the with little guys in each of them.

Here's a few picks of the finished product. I used some red oak for the trim and stained it with a dark ebony stain to match the darker tile I put down.

446759851_f8d7V-L.jpg

446759829_7xbQv-L.jpg

446759838_yMGN2-L.jpg

Complete! I am happy with the way it turned out but just too much work and time and money. Cheaper to buy one complete from the Critter Condo Guy.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I just wanted to throw in a note for anyone that might be looking for the vents with the mesh screen that seems to work well for the enclosures. When you are looking online, search for "eave vents." This gives several sites to find these. Many of the sites only sell in larger quantities though (like cases of 30-40 vents). So far, finding all of my materials that I need is the hard part.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Also go to Amazon for the door track. I got nice aluminum track for cheaper than everyone else sells the plastic ones for. And they slide a lot smoother than the plastics ones too.
But besides the door tracks, you can get everything you need at HD. I just didn't like the plain aluminum circle vents that they sell.

gregorydragon":f9c99 said:
So far, finding all of my materials that I need is the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom