CROSSFIRE MADE EASY **UPDATED - 3.09.2008** 56K Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
protiemama":eae3a said:
HI-
lizard-landscapes.com has great plans to build "rock" walls, hides and platforms out of styrofoam panels. Plans are simple and easy to follow. Also there are not many materials needed. :D I can't wait to get started on mine! :blob8:

Sandy

Thanks - i was kind of looking for some thing like this... Im gonna post that address in my Original Post for others to see... Thanks Again!!

Cigarfiend

JS3 I'd like to thank you for posting this. I know this took a lot of time and organization to post this. Top notch bro top notch. I have a few questions and hope you can help me out. I called and talked with a millwork company, I can get melamine particle board for about $28 per 4x8 sheet as opposed to $54 per 4x8 sheet of MDF. What is your opinion on this? Should I just stick with the MDF? They will cut and pre-drill all holes for me for free. I just don't want to go with the particle and be disappointed with the end result. What I mean is with particle board I know there can be issues with crumbling and what not, I want to make sure it is sturdy and not have to re-do it. Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone else has tried the particle please post and let me know how it turned out.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cigarfiend":d4cdb said:
JS3 I'd like to thank you for posting this. I know this took a lot of time and organization to post this. Top notch bro top notch. I have a few questions and hope you can help me out. I called and talked with a millwork company, I can get melamine particle board for about $28 per 4x8 sheet as opposed to $54 per 4x8 sheet of MDF. What is your opinion on this? Should I just stick with the MDF? They will cut and pre-drill all holes for me for free. I just don't want to go with the particle and be disappointed with the end result. What I mean is with particle board I know there can be issues with crumbling and what not, I want to make sure it is sturdy and not have to re-do it. Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone else has tried the particle please post and let me know how it turned out.

Hey your welcome man, I only re listed the plan in a more detailed manner, the real credit for these plans go to "dvandriesen" who made the original plans. But in my opinion, the MDF Melamine was easier to cut and drill. It was a cleaner working wood. But I DID make 2 VIV's. One was out of the MDF and the other was out of the particle board. They are both sturdy and look nice. So the finished project was about the same. They both wiegh about the same. The only thing that i didnt like about the particle board was that the cutting blade chipped the melamine alot more that on the MDF. I ended up having to go over the chipped sections with a sharpie marker. I didnt have to do that with the MDF. it cut alot smoother and drilled a lot easier too. So either way - as long as you place your screws and nails well - you will like either choice. Good luck and post us some pictures when you get done with your VIV.

ninoupte7

I really love the look of that white inside. Has anyone used the cream color? Which do people prefer?

Regarding the 'Melamine', is this a particle board bonded to a plastic (melamine) surface? If so, how are the joins/cracks made impervious to water, since particle board soaks up water over time?
-Nino

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ninoupte7":431a3 said:
I really love the look of that white inside. Has anyone used the cream color? Which do people prefer?

Regarding the 'Melamine', is this a particle board bonded to a plastic (melamine) surface? If so, how are the joins/cracks made impervious to water, since particle board soaks up water over time?
-Nino

I used wood glue and Caulk...

It's beautiful! i'm planning on having my uncle help me built one just because most of the ones i've seen online or in the pet stores just aren't appealing to me. Just curious though, with buying the new fixture for the inside of the tank (like u have done) do i need to use a different bulb? or can i keep the same basking light there as long as it dosent exceed the wattage that the fixture can hold? and is it mandatory that i tile and grout the bottom of the tank? really anything u can tell me would be helpful because i want to do this right. thanks! :blob8:

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
beardielovah11103":ed6e6 said:
It's beautiful! i'm planning on having my uncle help me built one just because most of the ones i've seen online or in the pet stores just aren't appealing to me. Just curious though, with buying the new fixture for the inside of the tank (like u have done) do i need to use a different bulb? or can i keep the same basking light there as long as it dosent exceed the wattage that the fixture can hold? and is it mandatory that i tile and grout the bottom of the tank? really anything u can tell me would be helpful because i want to do this right. thanks! :blob8:

Thanks for the kind words, the lights are just normal spot lights, i went with the 40 watt bulb so that i could obtain the proper temps for the dragons, 75 and 50 wattb ulbs were too hott. The long bulb is a special bulb...Its a UVB bulb, the best type to use for this type of bulb for this is the repti-SUN (not GLO) 10.0.

The tile is not a must, im still using news paper on the floor of my VIV's cause i havent gotten around to getting the tile. But i wouldnt grout the tile in place at all. Leave it loose so its easier to clean when your Dragon poops.

Good luck and let me know if theres anyt hing else i can help you with

sddragons

Juvie Member
Hi Jay,

Great post.I am a newb here but have read this whole thread. I am planning on rounding up all this stuff to start building. I had a question about your comment about the store not cutting your 4x8 to the right dimensions and there wasn't enough left for your front rails and you had to buy an extra piece of particle board for that.
Don't you just cut it evenly into 4 - 2x4 pieces and then cut one of them in half for your 2 - 2x2 sides? So where would be your extra then for the rails? Seems you would need some extra anyway for the rails. Just curious what you were talking about there.

Thanks......JD

sddragons

Juvie Member
Hi Everyone,

Just curious what people went with. Trying to decide if I should just go buy white since it seems to be readily available or run around and try to find or order a black piece. I am a black and gray kind of person as I have a lot of furniture in the black theme but then I think i would like a nice bright enclosure to show off my beardies more.
So what are all you folks using?

ninoupte7

White or off white is the way to go.
Just look at pictures of both and you will decide.
Black ones give an impression of a lizard floating in space.
White ones give less of a contrast between lizard and case but look a lot better in the room. Bright and sunshiny.
-Nino

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You can pick which ever one you like, if you go with the balck - just expect to put some kind of "wall paper" in side for the lizard - i put bamboo sides and a back ground picture of the desert in mine...i would go with the black if you want it to match all of you furniture

sddragons

Juvie Member
JayStation3":4d89f said:
You can pick which ever one you like, if you go with the balck - just expect to put some kind of "wall paper" in side for the lizard - i put bamboo sides and a back ground picture of the desert in mine...i would go with the black if you want it to match all of you furniture

Thanks Jay,

Can you answer my other question above regarding the size of the wood itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom