CROSSFIRE MADE EASY **UPDATED - 3.09.2008** 56K Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
augsburg1530":428ce said:
No, we are not using melamine but are using 1/2" furniture grade plyboard instead. We will stain and seal the plyboard to match our household furniture. Our Home Depot carries white melamine, but I thought melamine would make a viv that was too heavy. After staining and sealing, we will make a tile floor for easy cleaning. We will be sure to properly cure the stained wood to ensure there are no residual harmful fumes before letting our dragon, Spike, live in it.

I borrowed some viv ideas from this guy, http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/3x2.shtml where he uses a melamine floor and plyboard top and sides. I figured since we were going to make a waterproof tile floor, we wouldn't need melamine. I'll let you know how that works out.

Eric

Yeah - my VIVs are pretty heavy (my MDF VIV is about 98 pounds and my Particle board VIV is about 70) - but i built a stand as well, on wheels...so that it isnt too hard to move. I liked the look of the melemine and didnt really feel like gettin into all the staining and what not. I live in an apartment and I thought it would get too messy. But yeah sounds like you got a good plan, and I am interested in seeing your pictures when you get done. Good luck with your project and let me know if there is anything i can do to help.

pepper44

ewstokes":ee175 said:
I dont know if I really agree with "made easy". I followed the instructions very easily off the crossfire directions for my enclosure project. I also saw more clearer instructions and less confusing pictures. I always commend crossfire for making that site.

I dont know if I agree with the black interior. The exterior being black looks cool, but I would have made the interior white to help brighten up the cage. The cage looks unbearably dark for the beardie, and I dont see it doing the best job simulating daylight.

I made my cage like the crossfires but a step up and with a cooling system in between the two cages. Instead of your "black version". Mine is the "oak version".

Here are my instructions, again, not as detailed as the crossfires.

Here is a picture of my final cage.

264idr7.jpg

Wow that looks so nice!!

What did you use to build that basking platform? My tank is 36 inches tall, and I've been trying to figure out the best way to build a simple platform or two so that my beardie can get close enough to his lights. I don't have a lot of money or free time. I was thinking of using bricks somehow, but I don't want it to collapse on my dragon.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Jaystation3,

I have all my viv pieces cut out and am staining the wood today. I have a question about the ventilation. Yours, and the crossfire pics, both show the ventilation at the top of the viv. I am wondering if there is a reason for putting them at the top rather than closer to the bottom. Since heat rises, if the vents are at the top, the hot air at the top will vent out. If you put the vent closer to the bottom, it seems like having the vents at the bottom would be more efficient because the rising heat would form at the top and work its way down rather than venting out the top and being gone.
Does that make sense?

Eric

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
augsburg1530":c70f6 said:
Jaystation3,

I have all my viv pieces cut out and am staining the wood today. I have a question about the ventilation. Yours, and the crossfire pics, both show the ventilation at the top of the viv. I am wondering if there is a reason for putting them at the top rather than closer to the bottom. Since heat rises, if the vents are at the top, the hot air at the top will vent out. If you put the vent closer to the bottom, it seems like having the vents at the bottom would be more efficient because the rising heat would form at the top and work its way down rather than venting out the top and being gone.
Does that make sense?

Eric

Hey Eric,
That's a good point, but when I think about it for a sec. - you would probably want that hot air to vent out. If all that hot air stayed inside - i would think the inside temps would eventually all become about the same instead of having a "cool" side and a "hot" side - you know what i mean? I could be wrong - but I know that my top VIV actually getts hotter because of the VIV on the bottom... only about 10 degrees hotter, but none the less hotter... i would just keep it where it is, but you can try and move it down if you want....If it were me - i would then cut a small vent on the top of it, just to keep the ambiant temps correct and allow that hot air to rise out. but thats just me -i dunno if there is any real reason that the vents are where they are... I think it would be okay if you moved them - its your call.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Dude,

I think you are onto something about being able to regulate the cool side, see that's why I ask people who know more than me :D

I will keep things the way the plans suggest.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am heading back outside to apply another coat of stain, then tomorrow will put everything together. I will take pics when done to add to the ongoing collection on this forum!

Thanks

Eric

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
augsburg1530":a42ff said:
Dude,

I think you are onto something about being able to regulate the cool side, see that's why I ask people who know more than me :D

I will keep things the way the plans suggest.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am heading back outside to apply another coat of stain, then tomorrow will put everything together. I will take pics when done to add to the ongoing collection on this forum!

Thanks

Eric

Yeah thanks, at first i was like "hmmm" - but after i thought about it - thats what i came up with so...
... cant wait to see your pictures. Dont hesistate to ask me any more questions... glad i can help.

dvandriesen

Hatchling Member
I like how you updated my cage setup. IT looks really good the parts that i had trouble describing was the wiring which you seemed to do a pretty good job with. I may change my wiring sometime to how you did it but either way i had a negative and a positive and it has been running fine for quite sometime. I like the black you have also. Hopefully with both are how-tos people will have some nice enclosures for their dragons not these dinky ones we see alot of people housing full grown dragons in. By the way what is the difference between the wiring and my wiring ???

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dvandriesen":30ca5 said:
I like how you updated my cage setup. IT looks really good the parts that i had trouble describing was the wiring which you seemed to do a pretty good job with. I may change my wiring sometime to how you did it but either way i had a negative and a positive and it has been running fine for quite sometime. I like the black you have also. Hopefully with both are how-tos people will have some nice enclosures for their dragons not these dinky ones we see alot of people housing full grown dragons in. By the way what is the difference between the wiring and my wiring ???

Hey there - Are you the actual guy who made the crossfire enclosure plans?? Thanks for the positive feedback. I personally found your plans to be pretty simple - how ever, I was finding as I constructed the VIV's that there were things that were not so clear on your site. So I just decided to give a step by step. I simply tried to give the ppl who would normally follow your directions a little bit more insight to the actual steps on building them. Some one like us who is good with wood work - might not have problems - but others who would normally shy away from the construction project in fear of messing it up can now do it in confidence by following both threads.

As far as the wiring goes. If im not mistaken your site has two wires/plugs - one going to each light (which is actually okay to not have a ground wire on) but I put both of my lights on the same circuit and in that case - its safer to have a ground wire in case some thing happens. Last thing I would want is for any one to build either enclosure and have them catch on fire...lol. But that's the only differance. Yours are two plugs / two lights, and mine is one plug - two lights. And actually in my VIV's i have three lights, (two incondescent (basking) & one fourescent (UVB)) but only use two one basking and then the UVB light... thats about it...

Thanks again for the positive feedback....

dvandriesen

Hatchling Member
alright thank jay thats all i needed to know yeah i have 2 cords. I just wanted to say great work on the vivs i know my dragon loves his and im sure alot of other people have some sweet vivs because of the work we did putting all this information and pictures together. Like i said im not around much but im still kicking keep up the good work. Im just so surprised at how many people have gone to my site its amazing hahah peaceee

atl4747a

Do you just allow the lights to hang so the are within the 12 inch range or is there something else Im missing me and my husband are getting ready to make one but Im worried about the lighting and one more question could you use a mesh screen on the front instead of glass or plexiglass? Thanks

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
atl4747a":040e7 said:
Do you just allow the lights to hang so the are within the 12 inch range or is there something else Im missing me and my husband are getting ready to make one but Im worried about the lighting and one more question could you use a mesh screen on the front instead of glass or plexiglass? Thanks

No the lights are fixed to the top of the enclosure with screws. I use a variation of wattage and height of basking spot to get the right temps. For example I am using a 75 watt spot light with the basking spot up 5 inches off the bottom of the cage - Temps are around 102-108 dead center in the basking spot, then ihave a second spot for her to get with in 6 inches of the UVB bulb...

As far as the screen front, I dont see why it couldnt be used, but you have to remember that the humidity in side the cage needs to be as low as possible, the "enclosed" space that the dragon lives in should be as desert like as possible. With an open front, it might be hard to keep the moisture and humidity out of the cage, just something to think about. If you live in a dry place - then it might not matter, but if humidity and moisture is a big problem inyour area - then you might want to just stick to the plexiglas/glass front.

atl4747a

JayStation3":543cb said:
atl4747a":543cb said:

No the lights are fixed to the top of the enclosure with screws. I use a variation of wattage and height of basking spot to get the right temps. For example I am using a 75 watt spot light with the basking spot up 5 inches off the bottom of the cage - Temps are around 102-108 dead center in the basking spot, then ihave a second spot for her to get with in 6 inches of the UVB bulb...

As far as the screen front, I dont see why it couldnt be used, but you have to remember that the humidity in side the cage needs to be as low as possible, the "enclosed" space that the dragon lives in should be as desert like as possible. With an open front, it might be hard to keep the moisture and humidity out of the cage, just something to think about. If you live in a dry place - then it might not matter, but if humidity and moisture is a big problem inyour area - then you might want to just stick to the plexiglas/glass front.

Thanks I live in Southern California so not much humity here was more worried about kepping the temps correct with the front being a screen .
So you just build the basking spots up higher what do you use to make yours Ive seeen all kinds of things used would like to know what everyone is using are they building it out of something or just buying something.

Thanks

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah Temp controll would be a small problem as well, I meant to add that into my last reply...But yeah as far as basking spots go - I'm just using rocks, I had some landscaping rocks out side, that I washed really well and put in there. The main Basking rock is long and thin - almost like slate , but its about 1.5 inches thick and about 18 inches long. i set it up so they can get up on it and thier whole bodies can fit on the rocks, i'll try and post a picture of it close up for u in a few days...

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
HI-
lizard-landscapes.com has great plans to build "rock" walls, hides and platforms out of styrofoam panels. Plans are simple and easy to follow. Also there are not many materials needed. :D I can't wait to get started on mine! :blob8:

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom