CROSSFIRE MADE EASY **UPDATED - 3.09.2008** 56K Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Eadig":fc216 said:
this should totally be stickied...

Yeah i agree...lol - I worked hard on this thread - im still working on it as well... Got some new pictures to post up here soon...

dawg

Hatchling Member
well i had to scratch the idea for the space at the top for the wires.
home depot didnt have the cabinet grade plywood. when i priced it the kid said its a normal price and stocked item. this was a couple of months ago. went in to get the wood and they said they only get it a couple times a year. co i had to get the stuff that was 38 a sheet.

oh and if anyone else uses the 3/4 plywood the inside measurement will be 46 3/4"

i have to go get another piece for the back. the i can start staining it and putting the floor in and decorating.

looks great so far.

and wow does it look huge. i knew a 4x2x2 was big but until u see it in person wow.

thanks so far for the step by step directions

ewstokes

Juvie Member
I dont know if I really agree with "made easy". I followed the instructions very easily off the crossfire directions for my enclosure project. I also saw more clearer instructions and less confusing pictures. I always commend crossfire for making that site.

I dont know if I agree with the black interior. The exterior being black looks cool, but I would have made the interior white to help brighten up the cage. The cage looks unbearably dark for the beardie, and I dont see it doing the best job simulating daylight.

I made my cage like the crossfires but a step up and with a cooling system in between the two cages. Instead of your "black version". Mine is the "oak version".

Here are my instructions, again, not as detailed as the crossfires.

Here is a picture of my final cage.

264idr7.jpg

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ewstokes":626ae said:
I dont know if I really agree with "made easy". I followed the instructions very easily off the crossfire directions for my enclosure project. I also saw more clearer instructions and less confusing pictures. I always commend crossfire for making that site.

Good for you buddy ... I'm so glad to hear that YOU were able to "follow" the crossfire web site directions...lol. How ever - those directions - In MY opinion - as well as the 34 other people I have helped out personally - found that using the crossfire site by it's self - is a bit confusing. There are clearly steps missing from that web site and I made sure my thread contained ALL the steps and was easy to follow for most people. My thread here - is/was not meant to replace that site by any means. Just simply to help out the folks that are not very handy when it come to this kind of thing. Apparently you're not one of those people.

I dont know if I agree with the black interior. The exterior being black looks cool, but I would have made the interior white to help brighten up the cage. The cage looks unbearably dark for the beardie, and I don't see it doing the best job simulating daylight.

No offense - but I didn't ask...lol...with my own personal living space - black was the best choice. I like my furniture to match...& as my step by step directions state - you can use what ever color/style wood, you - the builder, chooses. I don't think that really plays a part on the actual construction of the VIV. Aside from the interior of the cage not being complete. (I have ordered a back ground picture for each enclosure & I am also in the process of cutting bamboo to place on the side walls to give it a little more decoration.) However, the black does help to "stimulate" night time...lol...since I leave it up to the lights to "stimulate" daylight and all...

I made my cage like the crossfires but a step up and with a cooling system in between the two cages. Instead of your "black version". Mine is the "oak version".

What do you need a cooling system for? Aren't Dragons Desert animals. Sounds like a waste of electricity, but to each thier own.

Here are my instructions, again, not as detailed as the crossfires.

Where are YOUR instuctions?? did i miss some thing?

dawg

Hatchling Member
wow so much critisism to a guy that has taken his time to show his directions on how he did his crossfire.
i think they were tons better than other sites.
i used them personally. although there were a few steps i had to modify due to the different wood i used. everything else was to the tee.

his viv his color. im sure he might not like the colors you chose also but he didnt say so.
i am going with stain natural color. and hey that matches my other furniture that the cage will be around.
i chose not to use melmane because i dont like that type of wood/surface. thats my choice.

jay i would just like to thank you personally for you directions that are clear cut and easy to follow.
ill post some of my pictures when i get it done.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dawg":a59db said:
wow so much critisism to a guy that has taken his time to show his directions on how he did his crossfire.
i think they were tons better than other sites.
i used them personally. although there were a few steps i had to modify due to the different wood i used. everything else was to the tee.

his viv his color. im sure he might not like the colors you chose also but he didnt say so.
i am going with stain natural color. and hey that matches my other furniture that the cage will be around.
i chose not to use melmane because i dont like that type of wood/surface. thats my choice.

jay i would just like to thank you personally for you directions that are clear cut and easy to follow.
ill post some of my pictures when i get it done.

Thank you very much Dawg. I'm glad to know my work here is appriciated. I was only doing what i felt would help out others. Although the Crossfire cages are great. They (in my opinion) left you to figure out alot of stuff on your own as you tried to complete the VIV. i tried very hard to fill in the blanks for every one who chose to use the Crossfire plans. I have no hard feeling toward the guy who left the critical post, to all thier own. but heck - at least give some kind of credit...right??

Well - thanks again for the positive feed back. You make 35 known people that i have helped out with this thread... :blob5:

kmrogers

I loved the cage you had on your website. Very simple, but very nice. These instructions make it even easier. My dragon is just about grown out of his cage and its about time to build his permanent home.

My husband builds houses for a living so I am having him build this cage for me!! I am really excited. The only difference is I will probably go with a lighter color other than black for the same reasons you went with black.

I will be sure to post pics once its done!

ewstokes

Juvie Member
JayStation3":4c469 said:
Good for you buddy ... I'm so glad to hear that YOU were able to "follow" the crossfire web site directions...lol. How ever - those directions - In MY opinion - as well as the 34 other people I have helped out personally - found that using the crossfire site by it's self - is a bit confusing. There are clearly steps missing from that web site and I made sure my thread contained ALL the steps and was easy to follow for most people. My thread here - is/was not meant to replace that site by any means. Just simply to help out the folks that are not very handy when it come to this kind of thing. Apparently you're not one of those people.

Gotcha!

No offense - but I didn't ask...lol...

If you didnt ask then why did you post on this site? Posting on this site you should be able to handle both good and bad criticism. Obviously, bad criticism is too much for you to handle. Sometimes bad criticism can come to your advantage if you treat it right. I dont think its really important to "stimulate" nighttime as much as it is to "stimulate" daytime, since they are awake in the daytime. Shocker! But if your planning on doing more with the interior to brighten it up then I take my statement back. Also making the ceiling completely white wouldnt hurt, and it also wouldnt hurt the look your trying to acheive.

What do you need a cooling system for? Aren't Dragons Desert animals. Sounds like a waste of electricity, but to each thier own.

Above the bulb on each of the cages it can reach sometimes to about 130 degrees. Basically its just like adding a heating mat for the top cage from the bottom one. We all know those arent the best for dragons since they detect their heat from the top. So I added a cooling system in my projects along with a sound barrier to dimmen the stress of the female below.

My instructions are on my post entitled "B.E.P. Enclosure Project". And they are also on my website. I didnt mean to condemn you for giving more "detailed" instructions on your project. I like the fact that you helped people out. I just gave you some ideas on what I would do with it. Take them or don't, I don't care.

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ewstokes":d622f said:
If you didnt ask then why did you post on this site?

I posted b/c I can. And b/c I wanted to help people who wanted to build the crossfire for thier dragons. Not to be badgered...

Posting on this site you should be able to handle both good and bad criticism. Obviously, bad criticism is too much for you to handle.

Really??? and you gathered that b/c I stood up to your post...lol....WOW...I can take "criticism" - [ Invalid URL Removed / p=611183 t=77016 f=49 ] - Good & Bad - but the key word here, in this particular situation - is BAD. Critisism is exactly that - CRITICISM! But you gave BAD critisim, not CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism, not even "just critisim". You got on my thread and attacked my choices. You didn't commend me for my hours and hours of work - documenting my steps, sorting photos and being a HELPFUL part of this community. Instead, you throw in my face -WHAT YOU DIDN'T LIKE, that obviously you are smarter than all of us b/c "You followed the directions on the crossfire site just fine", my thread wasn't "easy" to follow & that black isn't your color.... Thanks - but I don't care either.

here is an insert from one of the many other threads i have...

Peter Griffin":d622f said:
Here is my thread about the one I built. http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50052

JayStation3,
I haven't seen anything as detailed as your thread. You must have OCD. Just kidding. Excellent work. Your Vivs are really impressive.

To clear up for you -"What I didnt ask for." was your opinion on what colors I used or the usefulness of the other web site to most people or even if the dragons can tell its day light versus night time becasue the walls are black. What I did ask for was the opinions of people who actually used my thread to help them build thier own Crossfire. If it was actually as helpful as I intended it to be. So if you want to be a CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIC, then answer those questions. But don't badger my decisions to match my furniture or not stimulate daytime...

further more - I think the Dragons are well with in the realms of reality to be able to tell when the sun is up or when its down regardless of the "color of the walls"- I know this cause they told me. Not to mention - as soon as the sun goes down - they bury them selves under thier blankies and go to bed. The lights go off about 30 minutes past sun down and they are sound asleep regardless of the lights. But I'll ask them if they mind just to make sure...lol

Sometimes bad criticism can come to your advantage if you treat it right. I dont think its really important to "stimulate" nighttime as much as it is to "stimulate" daytime, since they are awake in the daytime. Shocker!

Wow - you're smart too...amazing!

But if your planning on doing more with the interior to brighten it up then I take my statement back. Also making the ceiling completely white wouldnt hurt, and it also wouldnt hurt the look your trying to acheive.

Thanks for your opinion... but you know what they say about those - don't you?

Above the bulb on each of the cages it can reach sometimes to about 130 degrees. Basically its just like adding a heating mat for the top cage from the bottom one. We all know those arent the best for dragons since they detect their heat from the top. So I added a cooling system in my projects along with a sound barrier to dimmen the stress of the female below.

Great idea. No really - good job on YOUR PROJECT. It does look nice, I like the storage at the bottom and the cooling system sounds "cool" and all. I just don't think it's very practical for my situation. Less resources I guess, who knows.

My instructions are on my post entitled "B.E.P. Enclosure Project". And they are also on my website. I didnt mean to condemn you for giving more "detailed" instructions on your project. I like the fact that you helped people out. I just gave you some ideas on what I would do with it. Take them or don't, I don't care.

Cool - I'll check them out. But you really didnt "give me ideas" ...lol - you told me what you wouldn't have done. You criticized me in a bad way - not in a constructive or even nice way for that matter... But it's okay - You do what you do and I'll contiue to do what I do... Thanks for stopping by

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Dude,

Your instructions and pics are so incredibly helpful, I can't thank you enough!!! :blob5: I am beginning to build a viv using your design as a guide and have two questions about lighting:

1. Yours, and other sites with instructions, have the uvb flourescent light at 36" in length is there a reason not to run the light the full 48" length of the viv?

2. Is there a reason to leave a small space at the end of the viv without uvb coverage? I understand about having a cool side away from the spot light, but with the uvb flourescent not putting out much heat does it matter if it runs the whole length of the viv?

Thanks for all the work you put into this post, you are a great help and inspiration to newbs like me.

Eric

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
augsburg1530":d37b2 said:
Dude,

Your instructions and pics are so incredibly helpful, I can't thank you enough!!! :blob5: I am beginning to build a viv using your design as a guide and have two questions about lighting:

Thanks man, I'm glad they are helfull to you! Just to be clear though - The plans are not mine - as I'm sure you know already - but I don't take any credit for the design or plans .... only for the simplified instructions.

1. Yours, and other sites with instructions, have the uvb flourescent light at 36" in length is there a reason not to run the light the full 48" length of the viv?

I don't think there is any reason for this, I personally Just liked the idea of the 36" opposed to the 48" bulb. You can use a 36" and center it - or you can go with the 48" bulb as well. Just builders preferace really. It's up to what you want to do.

2. Is there a reason to leave a small space at the end of the viv without uvb coverage? I understand about having a cool side away from the spot light, but with the uvb flourescent not putting out much heat does it matter if it runs the whole length of the viv?

Nope, no reason that I know of. Realistically - the bulbs light spectrum covers the entire VIV any way, no matter where you place it. But one suggestion is to just center the bulb in the middle - instead of off centered to the right or left - like mine. Or you can go with the bigger bulb, but also if you go with the bigger bulb - you will have to make room for it inside. Remember - the 4' length of the tank is the out side measurments. If you go with the bigger bulb - you will need to compensate for the length of the tube fixture on the inside by adding 1.5 - 2" inches to the length of the VIV. so instead of having a 4'x2'x2' - you'll end up with a 4' 2" x2'x2' ... So after thinking about it this way - maybe thats the reason to use the smaller 36" fixture instead of the 48" fixture

Thanks for all the work you put into this post, you are a great help and inspiration to newbs like me.

Eric

Your very welcome Eric - If there is anything i can do to help - let me know!! :blob8:

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Thanks for the fast reply!

Just got back from Home Depot with the supplies to build this beastie. After your explanation about length, I now totally understand the 36" light issue, thanks for clearing that up.

I have borrowed from both your instructions and those at the crossfire sight, using both of the instructions and pics on both sites filled in most any gaps I had in my mind about making a viv.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this thread! I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Eric

JayStation3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
augsburg1530":58a73 said:
Thanks for the fast reply!

Just got back from Home Depot with the supplies to build this beastie. After your explanation about length, I now totally understand the 36" light issue, thanks for clearing that up.

I have borrowed from both your instructions and those at the crossfire sight, using both of the instructions and pics on both sites filled in most any gaps I had in my mind about making a viv.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this thread! I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Eric

Great Eric,
Were you actually able to get the melamine (what color are you using) from Home Depot - or are you going with some differant kind of wood?? I had to special order mine - 'cause the local store didn't carry it. The first enclosure took about 4 or 5 days....but that's only 'cause I had to buy the peices one at a time, get the wood cut at the HW store, wait for the glass and tracks and a little trial and error. (I didn't do the cutting my self) The second enclosure was actually really quick - I think it only took me 2 days...but I had bought all the stuff in advance before i got the wood. Then just put it together. I had fun doing it...but i hope i don't have to build another one for a long time :) ... Please be sure to post a few pictures and don't hesitate to ask any questions - if you have any problems.

Jay

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
No, we are not using melamine but are using 1/2" furniture grade plyboard instead. We will stain and seal the plyboard to match our household furniture. Our Home Depot carries white melamine, but I thought melamine would make a viv that was too heavy. After staining and sealing, we will make a tile floor for easy cleaning. We will be sure to properly cure the stained wood to ensure there are no residual harmful fumes before letting our dragon, Spike, live in it.

I borrowed some viv ideas from this guy, http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/3x2.shtml where he uses a melamine floor and plyboard top and sides. I figured since we were going to make a waterproof tile floor, we wouldn't need melamine. I'll let you know how that works out.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom