crooked smile on newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Hi all! I adopted two new babies a little under a week ago on craigslist, a Peugeot and Cinelli. I introduced them with a brief story under introductions..... they were in less than ideal living conditions, but are adapting well to their new setups since I brought them home.

I'm a bit worried about Peug's scales around his mouth. There are three that are crooked, and one that appears to be missing. The inside of his mouth including roof and teeth look healthy, and there is no discoloration. However, because he's dyed from calcium sand and looks like he's got quite a bit of retained shed, I can't tell about discoloration on the outside of his body. He had very little UVB exposure and outdated calcium prior to me adopting him..... his tail is zigzagged at the tip, he has a bit of an underbite, and his little hands tilt up when he walks, so I'm pretty sure he has mild MBD. Currently, he's eating like a champ (escarole, collards, mustards, grated butternut squash, butterworms, crickets - both dusted with Rep-Calw/D3, as he has a brand new repti-sun10 UVB tube in his viv).

Does it look like his crooked scales need to be looked over by a vet? Is this something that can be fixed with proper nutrition, temps, calcium, and UVB? FYI he's on tile / fleece now, but his former owner said he'd been on calci-sand his whole life. Boy that stuff STINKS!!! It took a full week of daily baths to get the smell off Peug and Nelli..... I had no idea that stuff could get so disgusting! :puke:

Here's some pics..... let me know if you need better quality and I'll try again.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Kailin (Grommet's mom, and happy new mommy of Cinelli and Peugeot)

DSC02393.jpg

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02399.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

beardie1434

Juvie Member
It resembles shedding on the mouth, but I would keep a good eye on it and continue with the baths. if it is a calcium problem the conditions you now have for him will help from further calcium deficency issues. Good luck and thank heavens you got the two of them. Keep us posted

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Beardie1434. Yes, I couldn't pass them up when I saw the craigslist add..... I am also hoping it has to do with calcium deficiency and that with good husbandry, his crooked smile won't be anything more than a reminder of his past. I'll keep my eye on it, and, hopefully, when he sheds, his color will be normal around his mouth.

Thanks for the support!
Kailin

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
It looks like the beginning of MBD to me, from what I saw, it looked like the bottom jaw was protruding, kind of like and underbite. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello and yes it does look like the beginning of MBD !!!!! I would definitely get the proper calcium and UVB in and on him rite away!!! Get the Reptisun 10.0 uvb/30watt tube bulb....... Hopefully you can catch it soon enuff and maby on the next shed things will straighten out a bit for him...And possibly get him to a vet soon....Hope for the best.....Just my opinion.............Maby others can judge better!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.....

Lance

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Lance and Haleygirl272, I think it must be another symptom of MBD. He eats like you wouldn't believe and is loving his dusted feeders and new repti-sun 10 tube, so hopefully his missing and crooked lip scales won't pose any health issues. Thanks for the advice, and I'll post again when he sheds with a coloring update.

Kailin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom