Crickets Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wondering for those of you who keep crickets for you beardie...

Is keeping the crickets in a large rubbermaid container okay?

Can they get out of it?

and

How high can crickets jump?? Or do they jump? I've watched a few feeding videos on youtube and I've never seen them jump I don't think...but I'm kind of nervous about that haha...

For some reason I just have horrific images of me trying to open a container to feed a beardie but all of the crickets just escaping and invading my living space :oops:

i use a chicket trail its availible at your local pet shop. They can jump high depends on size i use medium chickets and they can jump about 8 inches. I give them a moist paper towel and peaces of dog food for gut loading. Try it works very well and keeps chickets alive for a week. Hope this helps John L

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
i keep crix in the clear Rubbermaid tubs, this is important as I bought a cheep colored one from k-mart and the crix can climb the sides, not fun. Make sure the inside of the tub is slick not textured!!!!!!

anyhow, I got a roll of metal screen (also important as they eat the fiberglass stuff), and cut out 3/4 of the top, hot glued the screen to the top and put the lid back on, solves the jump out problem. then you order 1000 crix from premiumcrickets.com or any of the online guys, put in some tp or papertowl rolls and egg cartons in for structure and there you have it. one quick and simple bulk crix keeper. (I have 3 of these as I raise the crix from egg to full grown when it's hatching season). I use a kricket keeper to transfer crix from my bulk tub to my cages.

If you need a pic I can take one for you of my lid so you see what I mean, you can also cut 2 vents one in each side if you plan on stacking multiples on top of one another. That's good for space saving but I have cats so stacking is out of the question for me.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
A Rubbermaid container will work fine, as long as it is well ventilated. High humidity kills crickets like nothing else.

When I kept crickets, I cut out the top of a rubbermaid container and taped screen in. It helps keep humidity down.

Here are some pics.

DSC00563.jpg

Here's the back of the lid.
DSC00564.jpg

Yes, they jump. If you keep crickets, you're going to get escapee crickets all over. The good news is that they don't live very long in your house. Actually, they don't live very long even if kept properly. I like my dubia roaches a lot more. Yeah they're big and scary, but they don't jump and they don't die. Just make SURE they don't escape or they'll infest your house.

SJM

Hatchling Member
Yes, crickets jump. I keep my crix in Thor's starter tank (2 ft tall) so they don't get out. The bigger the cricket, the bigger their back legs, and the higher they can jump. If your container has only holes smaller than your smallest cricket, then you'll be fine. Even if I had a supa supa tall container, I wouldn't leave it open, for the small chance that one could somehow jump out.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding time. n____n my crickets never try to jump when I'm looming over them like a giant. They will try to climb up your arm and make a run for it, but you just have to knock'em off and all's good.

Remember to give them fresh water and things to eat. (They most likely sell gut-loading cricket food wherever you get your crickets or lizard supplies. I use Zilla Cricket & Insect food. whatever veggies you feed your dragon are also good to put in there.)

Also, if your crickets get out, don't panic. Catch as many as you can and keep an eye out for them. They're not too bright and will walk out in plain sight where you can kill or catch them as the days go buy. Eventually, you'll start seeing less and less of them, and soon enough there wont be any loose in your house. They die rather easily.

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
Definitely go for the clear tubs - it's no fun when they climb the slightly textured colored ones. Even though Pudge is 19", I still feed her 3/8" crickets. If I move up to 1/2", they are able to jump out of the tub when I have the lid off, plus the stink factor increases exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom