Crickets in refrigerator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted

Hi all,

I'm completely new to BDs (that's going to be my first sentence here for a LONG while I think! LOL).

I'm wondering if there is any danger or problem with refrigerating the crickets (even 20 minutes prior to feeding)? It seems like they'd be easier to feed.

I placed them in the fridge earlier and when I went to get them, they were all dormant. I thought they may have been dead, but slowly they "warmed up" and are now bouncing around like normal.

If that is harmful/problematic, do you have any other suggestions? I have them in a Gladware tub (large) with holes punched in the lid. The problem is trying to get one or two crickets out without ALL of them bouncing out. NOT fun.

Sorry if this has been mentioned many times. I'm just hoping to find a system that works for Sam and me. :)

Thanks so much!
Ted

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't put them in there long term, cuz that will for sure kill them. You could try a few minutes before feeding to make them slower. I know that Darwin won't eat anything that's not moving, except for the occasional bite of veggies. You could try putting a few in the fridge a few minutes before you feed them, and seeing if your bearded dragon will eat them. Crickets are a pain, and I've moved on to dubia roaches, which are icky cuz they're roaches, but don't jump and are self sustaining in population after a while. You're better off just keeping crickets at room temperature, catching them as they come along. I know you can get a cricket keeper that has a tube that they crawl in, so you could put toilet paper tubes in the enclosure, and then shake them out into the bag that you dust with or directly into the viv.

Ted

Original Poster
randommonks":swvwemnn said:
I wouldn't put them in there long term, cuz that will for sure kill them. You could try a few minutes before feeding to make them slower. I know that Darwin won't eat anything that's not moving, except for the occasional bite of veggies. You could try putting a few in the fridge a few minutes before you feed them, and seeing if your bearded dragon will eat them. Crickets are a pain, and I've moved on to dubia roaches, which are icky cuz they're roaches, but don't jump and are self sustaining in population after a while. You're better off just keeping crickets at room temperature, catching them as they come along. I know you can get a cricket keeper that has a tube that they crawl in, so you could put toilet paper tubes in the enclosure, and then shake them out into the bag that you dust with or directly into the viv.

Thanks for responding, Monk. :)

Yes, this morning I put them in the fridge before I showered, dressed, etc. By the time I was done with that, they were pretty much dormant. I then just grabbed a couple and placed them, along with Sam in a smaller container. Sam ate up three of them! :)

Tried it again this evening... this time dusting them with calcium, and in a larger container. No go. Sam ran from them! :p I may try a bit later, as I'm hoping that it's a 12-hour thing with his/her appetite. ;)

I've ordered some Reptiworms from their sight. Thankfully, they're in California so I'll get them tomorrow. I'm hoping/praying that Sam likes them!

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Lol I just went back to your post history, and realized you just got your guys (and I had actually posted on your intro thread). When I first got Darwin he didn't eat normally for a week. Normally had 5 every day before finally going up in his numbers up to 30 a feeding at one point if the crickets were smaller. Relocation stress is a bummer, and I wouldn't be too worried if he didn't eat well for a week or so. Some bounce back quickly, some can go as many as 2 weeks. Hopefully he won't stress you out too much.

I've heard good reviews with reptiworms, so hopefully he'll love those!

Mama2mc

Can you afford to buy one of those cricket keeps with the tubes? The crickets climb up into the tubes so all you have to do is pull the tube out and shake them off into the enclosure. It think mine cost about $5. Made things much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom