crickets in colder temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

qhgirl1

I am going to be getting a bearded dragon sometime in the next couple months and I'm trying to plan ahead. My main concern is the crickets. To buy crickets from the feed store while the dragon is still young would be crazy as I'd be spending close to $120 a month in crickets alone. I would ideally like to buy them in bulk while the dragon is growing as its much more economical. The only problem is that I can't keep them in the house. I could keep them in the garage but its not heated. Is there some way to heat the tank to keep it warm enough to keep them alive? I live in Michigan, btw. Thanks!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
You can heat a cricket tank just like you can heat any other tank. I happen to have a 10 gallon tank that already had a heating pad on it. But, when I plug it in, the crickets eat like crazy and grow just as quickly.
Why can't you keep them in the house? Is it the noise? Young crix don't make any noise.. but you may also consider starting a Dubia colony. From what I understand they are quiet. (they are also cleaner, easier to keep, self-sustaining, and don't smell!). I am going to start one as soon as I have the initial investment.

qhgirl1

Original Poster
The noise is the biggest issue I would be facing with the crickets. I guess I was always under the assumption that they all made a lot of noise. Wouldn't the dubais be too large for a young BD?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
qhgirl1":073a0 said:
The noise is the biggest issue I would be facing with the crickets. I guess I was always under the assumption that they all made a lot of noise. Wouldn't the dubais be too large for a young BD?

You can feed appropriately-sized dubis, but it takes about 6 months to establish a colony that you can feed from and sustain, so starting one now would be the best option. Crickets (at least in my experience) don't start chirping until they are fully (or almost fully) grown. Crickets are stinky little things, though.. they aren't too bad if you tend to them enough.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
qhgirl1":6e149 said:
baby dubia (nymphs) are only about 1/4" long when they're born, they make excellent feeders for young dragons :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom