cricket bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

godila923

I came home to feed my lizards and I know it is my oldest beardie who is 10 years old was laying at the bottom of the enclosure which is not really all that unusual but he has been doing this for the last 4 days not in the same spot only this time he didn't open his eyes when I put his greens. So I figured he maybe going into his brumation period so I thought cause he hasn't been eating as much and had been laying around but he has never flat out ignored me well I picked h up and he is pretty much not responding to me I did notice a small hole on the top of hi back so I'm assuming he has been bitten by a cricket that he didn't eat right away. But I also notice a small amount of dried blood where his poop comes out at and not sure what can be fr. It's gonna take us a long time to get to a reptile vet because of it being so far I'm not really sure he is gonna make the trip cause really is not responding to no stimuli and you can't even tell he is breathing

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hope not! Do you have any pictures of that wound for us?
How long did you leave the crickets in there & do you leave them in overnight?
How long has he been lethargic?
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the UVB lighting, supplementation & temperatures just so we can be sure it is all correct?
Is his beard black at all? He wouldn't be going into brumation would he?
If there was a little bit of blood at his vent, then he could have parasites possibly. Have you noticed as to whether or not his urates were hard or soft & if he has strained when going to the bathroom?

Tracie

godila923

Original Poster
82732-1580382516.jpg
That's the thing I'm surprised there was any left over crickets he usually never leaves any crickets but he has had any since Thursday and I use the felt at the bottom so it must have gotten out of bowl. We didn't make it to the vet before they close I thought about the brumation his beard is completely black he didn't do any moving around yesterday I couldn't even get him to open his eyes. He is in a 75 gallon tank he has a 10.0 reptisun light and a 75 watt basking light. He has an artificial tree he likes to be in when he is basking. And usually when he is in brumation that's where he is no on the bottom of tank. But im not saying he never lays at bottom. He is really to big for tree but it's his favorite he shows no interest in anything else I have tried to put in its place.
82732-1580382516.jpg
I did try something different yesterday. I have other beardie so I moved him out of his tank to a ten gallon and used one of there uvb lights since I couldn't Remer when I bought his because I rembered somewhere I read or seen after 6 months they should be replaced even if they still work and it gives him a more concentrated heat source cause my house is very cool and his tank is low to the ground I cleaned the wound and but some neosporine on it and took his tank off timer. He still ain't his self but he is reacting to my touch a little he lifted his head when I sprayed him and clean the wound

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is quite a hole. The pic is fuzzy but I can still tell its severity. It has to be bothering him though.
Which UVB do you use, is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
Since his beard is black, he does not feel well & it definitely isn't brumation at all.
Definitely continue to keep his wound clean by rinsing it out with a very diluted betadine solution, along with use of an antibiotic ointment or you can also try unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to help ward off infection.
Did you find the cricket in his tank or not? I wouldn't leave any crickets in his tank now, but try to feed him out of his tank. Since his urates are hard, he is dehydrated most likely. I would try to get some chicken or turkey baby food along with either squash or sweet potato baby food to feed to him. You can use a plastic syringe or dropper to drip onto the end of his nose to see if he will lick any off.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

godila923

Original Poster
I did but I have completely removed him into a ten gallon till he is felling better since he is not moving around at all I will try the baby food but I might have to put the syringe in his mouth cause even though he lifted his head when I sprayed him this am I never seen him actually like it and I like the long uvb lights I used saline but I will get betadine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today, were you able to get any baby food for him?
How old is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb? We usually recommend changing them out every 6 or 8 months, to help maintain the strength of the UVB exposure for them.
I hope the wound starts to get better. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that your poor boy didn't make it. :( Ten years is a long time, you took good care of him and I'm sure he was like part of the family. My heart goes out to you !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear he didn't make it. What had the vet said, did he treat him & then he passed away with you at home?
I am sorry for your loss. :cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom