Cricket bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Have alligator clips....
Not sure exactly why I was so allergic to the hissers. But it really sucked because I use to sell colonies of 50 for $50....it was an awesome deal because most people charge $3+ dollars each. I gave away a colony of many thousands of them after the allergy was discovered.
As for how long it takes to build up a colony. If your starting with some adults it won't take horribly long, the females are probably in various stages of pregnancy and could have babies shortly after you get them. The key is not to feed off so many your depleting the colony before it can replenish itself. You'll have to determine how much your using and how many are being produced. I usually advise to wait until your colony is firmly established before feeding from it. Sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to perfect you roach raising. So until its perfected you really don't want to rob the colony just in case you make a mistake in raising them.
You can sell them once your colony is established and your sure you won't run short. I would say at least 6 months or more.
I have had my ivory head roach colony for about 6 months and I still don't have many babies. But my 40 nymphs were pretty small when I bought them.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Alligator clips to hold the bugs. Classy. LOL! I'm finally going to pick up 300 mixed dubias tomorrow. I'm going to set aside the biggest ones and try and feed off the smaller ones. If she goes for them then I'll keep the bigger ones good and warm and set them up a romantical environment. Finger crossed!!!

Wow that really suuuucks that you had to give away a whole colony of hissing roaches! I've been wanting to get my nephew a pet hissing roach because he is OBSESSED with "Maggie's bugs". I'm always surprised at just how much I've come to prefer the roaches over crickets. Never in my life thought I would say that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom