Creatures of Habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Beardies are so funny! They are creatures of habit and routine. Whenever it is around the time Rocky gets his live feeders I can always find him facing the door of his viv looking out to see if he can catch my eye. He also knows what feeders I am getting him by the direction my body goes. Dubias are stored below his tank so as soon as he sees me bending down he immediately stretches his head and peers over his nose in anticipation of what will be plopped into his feeder dish. Then when he sees me get up and cross to the basement where I keep his hornworms I swear I can sense him waggin his tail like a dog awaiting a treat! He is extremely alert and just watching my every move until I put his dish in his tank and vroom...off he goes....scurrying off his hammock to the floor and poised for attack at his dish.

When he is not full, he will sit there until I notice him and wait for me to place more delectables in his bowl.

At night, when the lights go out, he heads off to sleep. But when the room lights are on, he just sits there grumpily staring out waiting for someone to notice his sleep is being disturbed and to shut the lights out. As soon as we do, plop he goes into a comfy position and shuts his eyes.

The other day a friend asked me how he was doing. She knew he has a bout with coccidia and pinworms due to relocation stress. I was happy to report he was going wonderful!
You get so caught up when they are sick that when they are not, you forget to celebrate! I am so very happy that he is just a regular healthy hunk of beardie right now. We have a wonderful relationship and he is really a part of our family.

On a sad note...I spoke to another friend who had two beardies and recently re-homed one because she was never told when she bought them that they shouldn't be raised in the same tank. So they began to fight. She was going to ask me if I wanted the other because her kids were not really interested in them anymore. Her tween daughter interjected that she was ready for the tank to be gone so she could set up her American Doll Collection. I looked at her and said that was too bad because they are really wonderful, and affectionate pets that are more like little live baby dolls than her toys. She rolled her eyes at me and said he tried to bite her the other day. Her mom retorted that was because they don't spend enough time with him. I agreed, and said if you do, you will have a lovable pet....I doubt she will make the attempt. And he will soon be replaced by hard plastic, vacant eyes, and frozen expression dolls with polyester hair. Sad, but so often the reality when pets are bought frivolously. As for our family, we love and care for our ten pets everyday...and plan to do so till the day the good Lord brings them 'home.'

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that Rocky is doing well =). It's sad that your friend has a dragon who isn't appreciated. I agree that a dragon makes much better company than a doll collection. I suppose they aren't for everyone, but I certainly don't understand not loving dragons.

sue09

Hatchling Member
How could anyone not love a dragon,they are gorgeous creatures that give so much if you care for them,,grrrrr some people make me mad. Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom