Crazy idea: could a BD drink from a hamster water bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I know BDs normally need to have water sprayed on their noses that they lap up.

I had a thought... could a BD use a hamster water bottle, the kind with the little metal ball that the hamster pushes out and then water drops out? Cause a BD could push its nose against the water bottle thing and then lap it up off their nose.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hello!

It has been reccomend as something to try in several thing that I have read. However, if you can train them to acctually do it is a differant story. :p Many dragons will not drink water by mouth, either by standing water in a bowl, or otherwise. I always keep a bowl of water in the viv at all times for Judah, but he would rather just run through it or play in it, than drink it. When he was little he would occasionally lick it from my finger, but after a whiel this didn't happen. He gets most of his water from his salads and crickets. The other part of the time I give him a bath about every 3 days. Sometimes dragons will drink from their bath water, mine wont do this either. They do get some through the vent area though, so this is why i bath him.

Jean

Hatchling Member
I think its worth a try. Mine will drink from a dropper and sometimes put their head underwater in the bath and drink...if it works let us know!

Beanie42

Juvie Member
I have also thought about this for a long time and rather than have it in the cage and hope to "train" them, I would rather use it as a easier method than carefully dropping water on his/her nose from a syringe. This always goes wrong as one wrong move and it comes out like a shot all over them causing them to run away..or it gets stuck so u push a lil harder and again it shoots them in the face

Beanie42":6ac3f said:
I have also thought about this for a long time and rather than have it in the cage and hope to "train" them, I would rather use it as a easier method than carefully dropping water on his/her nose from a syringe. This always goes wrong as one wrong move and it comes out like a shot all over them causing them to run away..or it gets stuck so u push a lil harder and again it shoots them in the face

I feel you with the squirt to the face. Water is bad enough (ever get the shake?). Stripes would only eat and drink from a syringe for a little while. Sometimes the "overshot" would happen and she would end up with this green stuff all over her little face. Think "milk mustache" but thick and mashed-pea green... Definitely cause for "The Eye"... I'll try and get a pic of it if/when i feed her with the syringe again (because it's bound to happen).

As per the hamster water-bottle thing... it seems soooo wonderful in theory- hopefully your beardie drinks by mouth, perhaps even like mine- through a dropper (bowl is there, but has only become the toilet...) and via greens and crix- when she eats them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom