Craigslist rescue beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Brief update on Poppy: Sunday marked 1 month since we got her. She weighed in today the same as last week (105 g) – did not gain or lose. She’s been eating around 100 phoenix worms a day, but she doesn’t seem to be digesting them as well as I’d like (even though we've been feeding them to her one at a time and popping each one with a needle, and her basking temps are good). It looks like we’re going to be ordering some crickets this week to feed to her in addition to the phoenix worms.

Her arm did shed, and her head, shoulders, tail, and possibly one of her back legs are going into shed! :blob5: She also appears to have grown in length – her belly isn’t nearly as big, and she appears to have slimmed down. She’s still doing really well – glass dancing when she sees the phoenix worms, eating her salad semi-regularly, etc. She also did really well when I took her outside this weekend for about half an hour. When she was scared, she didn't try to run off, she just made herself look as skinny as possible (which was kind of scary looking :( ), and she actually jumped from my lap onto my shirt at one point :)

3/15 Her head in shed
IMG_1579.jpg

3/15 Her head and shoulders in shed
IMG_1588.jpg

The shed from her arm
IMG_1599.jpg

3/17 Ready for her lights to go off
IMG_1600.jpg

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Poppy seems to be doing really well! She did have an incident on Thursday (3/21) where she vomited about 20 phoenix worms shortly after eating about 70 phoenix worms. She has never had a problem with them before, and she did not act any differently before or after the vomiting. She has not vomited again. I am wondering if it was possibly due to her shedding (though her appetite has not decreased). I was a little concerned when I weighed her on Friday and she only weighed 103 grams (after weighing in at 105 grams two weekends in a row), but she is eating VERY well and appears to be growing. She is up to 14 inches long! :D

She has shed her arms, tail, and head, and other than rubbing her face on her rock to get the shed off and making a mess of her tank, and the vomiting, has done really well with it.

I did end up ordering 1,000 1/2-inch crickets last week, and they arrived on Friday. On Saturday, she ate over 200 of them! :shock: Apparently I ordered them too small. :roll: Next time I will probably order 5/8-inch or 3/4-inch crickets, so they’ll hopefully last more than a week. I weighed her again on Saturday (after she ate a bunch of crickets and went potty) and she was up to 121 grams, so not sure what her actual “empty” weight is right now - I usually weigh her right after she goes potty first thing in the morning. She loves the crickets! I got tired of trying to catch them for her, and just put her in the cricket bin, and she went crazy! She’s easily eating 100 of the 1/2-inch crickets in 10 minutes. So I guess we’ll be ordering more crickets this week. :lol:

Here are some pictures of the little pig from Saturday 3/23:
IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I had to share this picture of Poppy from yesterday afternoon. She looks uncomfortably full :lol:
IMG_20130326_153640.jpg

kelii

Hatchling Member
She is too adorable! I love reading about how many she eats. It's amazing they can pack so much in, isn't it?

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Yes, it's amazing how much they can eat! And she seems like she's always hungry :)

The poses beardies get into are so amusing! :lol:

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Poppy is truly a pig :) She went from 103 grams on 3/22 to 150 grams this weekend! :shock: That's more than double what she weighed when we got her 6 weeks ago! She is still a tiny bit over 14 inches long, but I expect (and hope) she’ll start getting longer soon. She looks sooo uncomfortable! Her back and belly are both in shed, as well as her left arm and leg. She finished the crickets on Sunday, so either I really miscounted how many she was eating, or they put in a huge over count. We only saw 1 or 2 cricket deaths (other than Poppy eating them obviously :lol: ). We've doing phoenix worms until I order more crickets this week.

I’m beginning to wonder if she has parasites because the past few times she’s gone potty it’s been really messy and smells pretty bad. Obviously if she does, it’s not affecting her appetite and growth a whole lot, but I’m hoping to get her evaluated soon and get her treated if necessary.

3/29
IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

3/30
IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Poppy weighed 167 grams this weekend, and she finally shed her belly and her back, though I didn't get any pictures of her post-shed. We got our second shipment of crickets, and she's loving them. She definitely prefers them over phoenix worms right now :)

4/6: She's getting some flecks of orange in her beard!
IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that she has quite a bit of orange in the crease of her neck :)
IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

4/7
IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
bumblebee":2nfs8mql said:
Update on rescue:

We've decided to call her Poppy :)

She loves the phoenix worms, and has gotten 15-16 per day the past two days. I gave her a bath this evening with some pedialyte in the water, and she took two long drinks from it, and then pottied in it. She has gone a total of 5 times since we got her last Sunday night, and the past 3 times have had white urates. I weighed her after her bath, and she has gained 5 grams since last Sunday night.

I cleaned and sanitized her 55 gallon tank today, put in non-adhesive shelf liner, and her lights and furniture. She settled in right away. Her stress marks are definitely lighter, though they are still pretty dark while she basks.

Sexy legs in the temporary tank
IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

55 gallon
IMG_1423.jpg

Eating her salad
IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

Basking
IMG_1444.jpg

More sexy leg
IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

Is that a heat rock? I am not 100% sure but I don't think they are good because they have no nerves on their stomach and can literally cook themselves

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No, it's not a heat rock. It's a regular rock with her thermometer probe on it :) Thanks for checking, though :)

She looks so much like my girl(I think she's a she anyway)!!! LOVE the name Poppy! We have been calling ours Baby for lack of anything better. I might have to steal the name poppy if your don't mind. :wink:

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Well you have certainly changed Poopys life as I am sure she has changed yours. She seems happy, healthy, and loved!! Thank you for rescuing her I fear what another 6 weeks would of done to her in the previous owners care. Is your other beardie a male? They look like they could be a good pair for breeding in a year or two :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom