Cousin Confusion: Ginger & Scarlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.... I'd like to tell you all a story...

This past weekend, I was dragon shopping, looking for a hypo leather het trans female. I found this beautiful girl from Breeder's Circle:
6844651269_cdbee1ebf9.jpg

She was exactly what we were looking for. My wife and I spoke to the breeder and decided we would take the 5-hour drive down to Miami on Sunday, just to pick up this little girl, and come back the same night. On the way down, we decided on the name Ginger.

The breeder himself was busy, I believe he was at the Repticon show in Tampa, but he was going to have one of his employees meet us and give us the dragon. When we got her, she was a bit skittish, and very scared of us. My wife took her out of her container and tried to give her some cuddles and positive reinforcement on the way back home. It took a little bit, but she absolutely bonded with my wife. She seemed to trust her and gave her cuddles, and pretty much laid on her neck the entire time until it was time to go to sleep. When we got home, my wife laid with her a bit in our spare bedroom and passed out with Ginger on her neck. They slept like that all night long.

In the morning, I took her out and checked her out. But now that we were in the light and were able to compare pics, we realized we had come home with the wrong dragon. :( It turns out we had actually come home with this girl:

6844651373_5f4a3e74d0.jpg

My wife was devastated. She could not imagine having to give back her girl who has slept with her all night. We had already named her and promised her we would take care of her. It was pretty much out of the question to give her back. We looked her up on the breeder's website, but unlike the one we had actually picked out, she was not 100% het for trans. For breeding purposes, she meant nothing to us and we paid a pretty high premium for a very specific dragon. Not to mention, 10+ hours in the car + gas and tolls. We are pretty much broke after buying this dragon plus her entire setup.

So, do we just have to realize that we now have a business and we have to treat these dragons like profit and get the one we originally asked for? Or do we let our hearts and love of dragons get in the way of business and keep the wrong dragon? We promised ourselves, that if we started a breeding business, that we would not treat dragons like profits and they would all be our special spoiled babies. Does that apply in this case? So many questions and decisions. To say that yesterday was a stressful day is an understatement.

I waited all day for a response from the breeder. I heard from him late in the afternoon. It was an honest mistake that was made. These girls are very similar except for the non-visible het. Well, we talked it out, and the guy is a very responsible business owner and gave us a couple of options to choose from. One option was a great deal to keep both of them, which is what we wished we could do, but just didn't have the money. Luckily, he was willing to ship the right girl before we are able to pay him, which is really nice of him.

So.... we're going to get to keep both girls. Of course, now we had named the wrong girl Ginger, and we can't take that back anymore, so the new girl, the original one we had picked out... so the new girl is now Scarlet. They are cousins, as their mothers were both sisters, but they have different fathers. We've got quite the mixup here, but we'll get it right. Until Friday, both girls will have to share an enclosure, but we are splitting them as soon as I get paid. We have taken a HUGE financial hit here as both of these dragons were originally priced at $350 each. We may spend a day without eating, but we have two beautiful girls that we are already in love with. Scarlet should be getting shipped today and we should have her tomorrow. Ginger is already in our possession as is eating great. She really loves and trusts my wife, but she is terrified of me. But I am working on her. She has already been introduced to Chief and they were already giving eachother the OK for breeding, so when the time comes, Ginger will be another girlfriend for Chief. Scarlet is meant for a future male.

So that is the story of how I now have 4 dragons in my house. :shock:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I love to see them black-beard, but we haven't let our males see each other. Part of the deal/agreement for me to get Papa Smurf is I have to keep him away from Chief and not let Chief see him! Scarlet is finally starting to fill out. I'm so glad, too. With Ginger being bigger and a few weeks older, I sometimes want to compare them as if they are the same age.

Ginger is getting super huge. She just weighed in today at 294 grams. :shock: She is 6 months old so that's not too bad. I wanted a big girl. :D

She came out today to have an applesauce and olive oil snack and she actually ate it off the spoon for me. I let her have some couch time to reward her. :mrgreen: She is in shed and looks very white like a little fat ghost.
Exploring...
6808772015_260c2d060f.jpg

I think I will settle here...
6808775245_806c2a099e.jpg

Or maybe here....yawn....
6808795875_f8f5b2f5dd.jpg

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Your girls are absolutely gorgeous! And 294 grams at 6 months old, that's great. My female is 165 grams
at 5 1/2 months old. You must be feeding her like you feed Chief. lol :lol:
Keep up the great work!
Amy

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I always look at the pictures then go back and read what was posted, Its funny you said little fat ghost because that's exactly what I thought when I saw the first pic. Made me burst out laughing when I saw your comment! She's getting big! She looks big compared to Tyrus but he weighs 365 I just cannot wrap my head around it. She looks so "grown up"

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
tazznzeppelin":runktboc said:
Your girls are absolutely gorgeous! And 294 grams at 6 months old, that's great. My female is 165 grams
at 5 1/2 months old. You must be feeding her like you feed Chief. lol :lol:
Keep up the great work!
Amy

Thanks! I was looking at her last night and thinking she is closer to 6-1/2 months old now really. We have 'approximate' hatch dates, but I know they are close. She really does like to eat her Repti-worms, though. She has had many silkworms this week so I wonder if that is what we see in her big belly. :lol: Scarlet is closer to your female's weight, I think.

TASTIGER":runktboc said:
oh look at that horrible shed :( she must be so itchy

She's actually being a really good girl about it. She just shed those 2 legs and the other legs/feet are almost done. I was really surprised to come back from vacation and have her be totally white from nose tip to tail tip, beacuse that doesn't happen very often! :shock:

Kalyn876":runktboc said:
I always look at the pictures then go back and read what was posted, Its funny you said little fat ghost because that's exactly what I thought when I saw the first pic. Made me burst out laughing when I saw your comment! She's getting big! She looks big compared to Tyrus but he weighs 365 I just cannot wrap my head around it. She looks so "grown up"

:lol: :lol: I love the 'fat ghost', too and I was laughing as I wrote it. She really is pretty silly. She may just look big in the pics because of the camera angle. She was being fidgety and it took about 20 pics from different angles to get some that are decent. :? After she fell asleep on the arm of the couch we had to go to the grocery store and we just left her there. She didn't budge. Later on, we accidently woke her up by being too loud and bouncey for her tastes and she lifted her head and gave the sleepy-glare. I apologized and went to pet her sweet little head and she puffed her beard. :shock: :evil: I love that her reaction to everything is a little puff out... :lol:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Thanks! They are silly girls!

MOM, Look at how HOT it is in here! :shock: DO SOMETHING!! (Scarlet)
6843945001_1c3f659679.jpg

MOMMM, tell this creepy guy to leave me alone! (Ginger)
6843945819_ec50d3c640.jpg

And, sharing an after-bath beardie-burrito session:
6843944259_3264892e7b.jpg

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Cute pics! I love the one of Papa Smurf giving Scarlett the stare down. She looks like she's frozen in her tracks. Or was that Ginger? They are both so pretty, it's hard to tell them apart.

Amy :D
Duh... I went back and looked at the captions....

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
tazznzeppelin":2iic5m97 said:
Cute pics! I love the one of Papa Smurf giving Scarlett the stare down. She looks like she's frozen in her tracks. Or was that Ginger? They are both so pretty, it's hard to tell them apart.

Amy :D
Duh... I went back and looked at the captions....

They sure DO look alike. I finally got their baby pictures back in the first post - they are just larger versions of their first pics, though. Otherwise they do look the same. :D

I feel bad about Papa Smurf and Ginger! Normally that room is totally Papa's and the anoles but we had to move the girls in there, too. I always let Papa out to get his exercise on the floor and now he has the GIRLS in here so he acts up pretty badly. I let him out yesterday and he ran as fast as he could and ran into the glass of Ginger's viv so hard it knocked him backwards! :cry: I feel bad because he has MBD and his jaw is already deformed. I didn't think about him actually being that aggressive that he would knock himself out.

Ginger bearded at him and puffed, stomped and head-bobbed. :shock: :eek: :eek: She was unhappy about his behaviour!

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
That sounds like it would have been pretty funny and sad at the same time to see. Knowing me, I'm
sure I would have laughed at them and then felt bad for laughing. :roll:
Amy

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
That's what I did - LOLLOLOL - and then OMG he is okay?? I would love to say it would teach him a lesson to not do it again, but he is so darned aggressive. :angry5: He does not think before he does anything at all.

I have been holding him, and he has just seen another dragon in their own viv across the room, and he has very nearly jumped out of my arms. :shock:

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Well, I guess that's good and bad at the same time. It's good he's feeling that strong to try and get away
from you. But it's pretty naughty to upset poor Ginger like that.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Naughty! :angry5: :lol: :lol: He sure is naughty. I can see a difference in the way he 'rasies hell.' :laughing6: He is much, much faster and jumps in the air repeatedly when he reaches their vivs.

True that Ginger doesn't need to be hassled, and Scarlet takes it even worse. She is terrified of Papa Smurf. Tonight I am going to rearrange the room that they are in and try to minimize the sight paths so they can't see each other. Bearded dragons have amazing eyesight.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
What about curtains? Lightweight thrift store curtains across the vivs for when he's roaming. Will he investigate? Or will he walk on by what he can't see? Then curtain him up when the girls are out. And when everybody is in curtains closed against his site path to the girls.

I know they have super cheap and light weight rods for the kitchen that may ve able to hang tied to suction cups on the viv. or paper clips like an S if not, rod in one part, other over the top of the viv under the lid. Hang curtains off that so they won't see each other and can feel more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom