Cousin Confusion: Ginger & Scarlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.... I'd like to tell you all a story...

This past weekend, I was dragon shopping, looking for a hypo leather het trans female. I found this beautiful girl from Breeder's Circle:
6844651269_cdbee1ebf9.jpg

She was exactly what we were looking for. My wife and I spoke to the breeder and decided we would take the 5-hour drive down to Miami on Sunday, just to pick up this little girl, and come back the same night. On the way down, we decided on the name Ginger.

The breeder himself was busy, I believe he was at the Repticon show in Tampa, but he was going to have one of his employees meet us and give us the dragon. When we got her, she was a bit skittish, and very scared of us. My wife took her out of her container and tried to give her some cuddles and positive reinforcement on the way back home. It took a little bit, but she absolutely bonded with my wife. She seemed to trust her and gave her cuddles, and pretty much laid on her neck the entire time until it was time to go to sleep. When we got home, my wife laid with her a bit in our spare bedroom and passed out with Ginger on her neck. They slept like that all night long.

In the morning, I took her out and checked her out. But now that we were in the light and were able to compare pics, we realized we had come home with the wrong dragon. :( It turns out we had actually come home with this girl:

6844651373_5f4a3e74d0.jpg

My wife was devastated. She could not imagine having to give back her girl who has slept with her all night. We had already named her and promised her we would take care of her. It was pretty much out of the question to give her back. We looked her up on the breeder's website, but unlike the one we had actually picked out, she was not 100% het for trans. For breeding purposes, she meant nothing to us and we paid a pretty high premium for a very specific dragon. Not to mention, 10+ hours in the car + gas and tolls. We are pretty much broke after buying this dragon plus her entire setup.

So, do we just have to realize that we now have a business and we have to treat these dragons like profit and get the one we originally asked for? Or do we let our hearts and love of dragons get in the way of business and keep the wrong dragon? We promised ourselves, that if we started a breeding business, that we would not treat dragons like profits and they would all be our special spoiled babies. Does that apply in this case? So many questions and decisions. To say that yesterday was a stressful day is an understatement.

I waited all day for a response from the breeder. I heard from him late in the afternoon. It was an honest mistake that was made. These girls are very similar except for the non-visible het. Well, we talked it out, and the guy is a very responsible business owner and gave us a couple of options to choose from. One option was a great deal to keep both of them, which is what we wished we could do, but just didn't have the money. Luckily, he was willing to ship the right girl before we are able to pay him, which is really nice of him.

So.... we're going to get to keep both girls. Of course, now we had named the wrong girl Ginger, and we can't take that back anymore, so the new girl, the original one we had picked out... so the new girl is now Scarlet. They are cousins, as their mothers were both sisters, but they have different fathers. We've got quite the mixup here, but we'll get it right. Until Friday, both girls will have to share an enclosure, but we are splitting them as soon as I get paid. We have taken a HUGE financial hit here as both of these dragons were originally priced at $350 each. We may spend a day without eating, but we have two beautiful girls that we are already in love with. Scarlet should be getting shipped today and we should have her tomorrow. Ginger is already in our possession as is eating great. She really loves and trusts my wife, but she is terrified of me. But I am working on her. She has already been introduced to Chief and they were already giving eachother the OK for breeding, so when the time comes, Ginger will be another girlfriend for Chief. Scarlet is meant for a future male.

So that is the story of how I now have 4 dragons in my house. :shock:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Oh my!! That is crazy!! I thought it was next weekend!!!!! Now details- ages, lengths, weights etc?? And of course PICTURES!!!!!
So why can't they both be Chiefs girlfriends?

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
Oh gosh, how stressful! But everything has turned out so well, HOORAY!! Both of those girls are just beautiful!! :blob8: Hey, I think we've all had to go the weenies & beans route a time or two. So, Scarlet will be here tomorrow? Cool 8) We need lots of pictures! Now, we really have to shower but your story was well worth waiting for.

Suz

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MissT":3cvjse4j said:
Oh my!! That is crazy!! I thought it was next weekend!!!!! Now details- ages, lengths, weights etc?? And of course PICTURES!!!!!
So why can't they both be Chiefs girlfriends?
Well... we weren't doing anything Sunday, so we just went. If he had gone next weekend, this mixup would have never happened. But things happen the way they do for a reason and I'm glad we ended up with a new sweetheart.

Not sure on their ages yet. The breeder will be sending me all that information as soon as he gets back to his breeding facility. But my guess is that they are about 3-4 months old.

Ginger is 12.5" and weighed 104g when we brought her home. I'll let you know about Scarlet when she gets here.

Chief already has Maya as a girlfriend, and now Ginger. Scarlet is planned for our next male, which will be a hypo trans leather, like Maya. We probably won't get him until Spring though.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
suzjohnson":1wzms2h0 said:
Oh gosh, how stressful! But everything has turned out so well, HOORAY!! Both of those girls are just beautiful!! :blob8: Hey, I think we've all had to go the weenies & beans route a time or two. So, Scarlet will be here tomorrow? Cool 8) We need lots of pictures! Now, we really have to shower but your story was well worth waiting for.

Suz
Thanks for waiting. :) They are both beautiful girls. They kind of skewed our business plans a little bit, but who cares? I hardly ever plan anyway, because nothing ever turns out according to your plan. I'm more of a 'go with the flow' kinda guy. :D

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
And THIS is the reason we couldn't just send Ginger back.....
6844651959_7ca00a4d3c.jpg

That was last night. He 2nd night home, and 2nd night sleeping with mommy. She adores my wife Shannon.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Awwww so sweet!
Now, we expect more pics when you get home from work Mr Otto!!!
I say, let Chief have a go with EVERYONE LOL! Guess it's going to be at least a year before any of that anyway :(

MissT

BD.org Addict
So Ginger is het hypo and het trans and Scarlett is hypo het trans? So both will be suitable 'partners' for your next male - maybe alternate years perhaps?
Dear me, imagine, this time next year, you could have over 200 dragons running around your house!

EDIT, wait - that isnt right .... I shall rephrase... this time next year, you could be PREPARING to have 200 dragons running around your house!!

Does your wife know how many babies there will be :shock:

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ginger is a hypo leatherback (more of a reduced scale). Scarlet is a hypo leatherback (more of a true leather) het trans.

My wife is well aware of the situation and I think she's ready. LOL

MissT

BD.org Addict
LOL! Crazy, crazy, crazy... imagine cleaning up that much poop everyday.

Ooooh, theres something I saw at WDD... sorry if this is hijacking but thought it might help in your 'preparations' :D They have a large, deep, tupperware. They put a tiny amount of water in the bottom of it and take all of the babies from a tank and put them in there (approx 6-8 babies). While they soak, they remove the paper towels and hoover up any dirt/loose crickets, whilst still keeping an eye on the babies, re-bed then move the babies into a separate tub lined with paper towels to dry off. In total the whole process took about 5-10 minutes. Seemed like a good way to do 20 things at once LOL!

MissT

BD.org Addict
You should get a little book to write down all your ideas :D And then scrap them all when you get better ideas :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom