Could "prepared" food be used as a staple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonJosh

Not talking about those pellets and related products (although could those too?), but what about making your own "mash" by throwing in sufficient foods (including some type of safe protein source) in a blender and making pretty much like baby food substance for the beardies to eat? Along with topping with a cal/vitamin supplement COULD this be ok as a staple? Just doing some brain storming..

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
i wuddint suggest it because they get exercise out of hunting down their prey. they also get the nutrients they need, no questions asked.

gogga

Juvie Member
My 1st question would be why do you want to make it?

IF its because your dragon is ill, and wont take live feeders and such, yes its a good idea to get something in them.
Also a person I know makes what they call a "pudding" like you described as a treat used once a week.

Its just a lot of hassle to make it every day as I dont think you can keep it for longer than that with the mushed up live feeders in it.

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
gogga":2823cjoz said:
IF its because your dragon is ill, and wont take live feeders and such, yes its a good idea to get something in them.
i agree with that. plus, i also think a beardie wont go for it unless hes trained to eat from a food dish, and hes starving.

DragonJosh

Original Poster
cashrokxsz":12rm432e said:
i wuddint suggest it because they get exercise out of hunting down their prey. they also get the nutrients they need, no questions asked.

Well I currently feed my beardies black soldier fly larvae (Reptiworms) so it's not like they are "hunting" them anyways *shrug*

gogga":12rm432e said:
My 1st question would be why do you want to make it?

Also a person I know makes what they call a "pudding" like you described as a treat used once a week.

Its just a lot of hassle to make it every day as I dont think you can keep it for longer than that with the mushed up live feeders in it.

My beardies isn't sick, I was just wondering if as long as the mash I make has enough protein/etc plus sprinkled with calcium & vitamin powder would it be sufficient as a staple...just would like to know something as a replacement/backup in the event I lose my main staple feeder or can't order any due to weather or whatever. Just thinking..

gogga

Juvie Member
just would like to know something as a replacement/backup in the event I lose my main staple feeder or can't order any due to weather or whatever. Just thinking

The only thing youll need to find out for this purpose as I dint know, is how will freezing the prepared food affect the food. Some foods dont freeze well. Some foods nutrition drops once frozen and defrosted.
But its still not a bad thought.

DragonJosh

Original Poster
gogga":5c4ulssk said:
just would like to know something as a replacement/backup in the event I lose my main staple feeder or can't order any due to weather or whatever. Just thinking

The only thing youll need to find out for this purpose as I dint know, is how will freezing the prepared food affect the food. Some foods dont freeze well. Some foods nutrition drops once frozen and defrosted.
But its still not a bad thought.

Well I was thinking in terms of just making small scale batches so it doesn't go to waste and store in the fridge for X amount of days that it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom